CAT Tool , where to begin ??
Thread poster: Steve8888
Steve8888
Steve8888
Canada
Nov 10, 2015

Hello ,

I have been translating professionally for a little over a year now , Arabic to English and Vise Versa
but I realized that I really have to enter the world of CAT . I have a complex question regarding these :

1- I really do not know anything about CAT tools , how to begin learning and using them ?
2- I am looking for a FREE CAT tool that would work great on Arabic , so far I used OmegaT and worked amazingly well with English-Arabic however , when
... See more
Hello ,

I have been translating professionally for a little over a year now , Arabic to English and Vise Versa
but I realized that I really have to enter the world of CAT . I have a complex question regarding these :

1- I really do not know anything about CAT tools , how to begin learning and using them ?
2- I am looking for a FREE CAT tool that would work great on Arabic , so far I used OmegaT and worked amazingly well with English-Arabic however , when it was the other way around , it was horroble , huge segments with codes and codes and codes and 0 fuzzy matches !

should I keep working on OmegaT or is there something better out there ?
Collapse

Ahmed Badawy
Ahmed Badawy  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 15:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
CAT tools Nov 10, 2015

Hello Dear,
As for your inquiry to work with other CAT tools than Omegat. It has become a MUST since three ago to work with different and mutiple CAT tools. CAT tools to be manipulate are user-friendly.
If you want to work with such CAT (either software or localization tools), You may check via online links or ask me for tools to work with.
Have a good day!
BR,
Ahmed Badawy

Shada Salameh
Shada Salameh
Jordan
Local time: 15:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
CAT tools Nov 10, 2015

Hi Steve,

I use both Across and SDL-Trados. You may download the freelance version from Acoss for free, (www.my-across.net). However, you have to buy the SDL-Trados software in order to be able to use it.
To be honset, I have never used OmegaT, so I can't help you finding a solution for your problem. Sorry!

Regards,
Shada

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:46
English to French
+ ...
Ask for support in the OmegaT user group Nov 11, 2015

Steve8888 wrote:
2- I am looking for a FREE CAT tool that would work great on Arabic , so far I used OmegaT and worked amazingly well with English-Arabic however , when it was the other way around , it was horroble , huge segments with codes and codes and codes and 0 fuzzy matches !

This is not normal.

should I keep working on OmegaT or is there something better out there ?

If OmegaT is working well for you from English to Arabic, it should work as well the other way round.

You should ask for support in the user group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/info

Didier

Steve8888
Steve8888
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
THanks Nov 11, 2015

Shada Salameh wrote:

Hi Steve,

I use both Across and SDL-Trados. You may download the freelance version from Acoss for free, (www.my-across.net). However, you have to buy the SDL-Trados software in order to be able to use it.
To be honset, I have never used OmegaT, so I can't help you finding a solution for your problem. Sorry!

Regards,
Shada

Thank you so much !
I will never buy a CAT unless , the company pays so ....

chances are I will keep using OmegaT which is an entry level CAT

Regards

Steve8888
Steve8888
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Tags Nov 11, 2015

Tags , Tags and more tags and codes piled up actually makes translation ultra complicated an time consuming which is hilarious because it is suppose to do the exact opposite of that
So far , my opinion on CAT is that unless there are large portions of the same texts that are repeated , it is pretty much useless unless you utilize glossary

I still do not know when TM will kick in :/ ?
Glossary is pretty useful and helps in the consistency of the Translated terms but no
... See more
Tags , Tags and more tags and codes piled up actually makes translation ultra complicated an time consuming which is hilarious because it is suppose to do the exact opposite of that
So far , my opinion on CAT is that unless there are large portions of the same texts that are repeated , it is pretty much useless unless you utilize glossary

I still do not know when TM will kick in :/ ?
Glossary is pretty useful and helps in the consistency of the Translated terms but nothing really extraordinary , I am still using the traditional method without CAT , and no I am not a purist I am just trying to find a CAT that would increase my productivity .

Problems with Arabic - English
1- Horrendous segmenting , I had to disable it
2- flipping the text from left to right - right - left is atrocious and will always result in loss of time in formatting, Omega T supposed to take care of that since you have to select the S language and the T language
3- No designated Segmenting pattern for Arabic
Collapse

Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Local time: 07:46
Arabic to French
OmegaT Dec 11, 2015

Assalamou alaykoum,

I am a translator from Arabic to French. I use OmegaT many years and It works pretty well, but I had to make some manipulations in order to avoid any problems.

Now I use SDL Trados Studio, witch is very cheap in Egypt (around 150 US$). I found that this CAT tool is a lot more useful, but if you want to continue with OmegaT, here is what I was doing.

First, all my source files are Microsoft Word document. First, I copy them into a text d
... See more
Assalamou alaykoum,

I am a translator from Arabic to French. I use OmegaT many years and It works pretty well, but I had to make some manipulations in order to avoid any problems.

Now I use SDL Trados Studio, witch is very cheap in Egypt (around 150 US$). I found that this CAT tool is a lot more useful, but if you want to continue with OmegaT, here is what I was doing.

First, all my source files are Microsoft Word document. First, I copy them into a text document to remove any formatting and I paste it back into the Word document.

After that, when I importe it to OmegaT I disable all the tags. There is a option in the program to do so.

After I finish the translation, and I create the target translation, everything is in the wrong order. So I copy it again in a text document and paste it back to Word, and, this is a miracle, everything is in the right order!

That's it.

But, of course, you have only the text with no formatting. You have to do all the formatting by yourself. But for me, it was not an issue.

The main issue is that Arabic sentences are very very long and it is hard to get any match. But you can compensate by make extensive search in the Memory translation.

Hope to be useful,

May Allah assist you
Wassalam
Suzanne
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tool , where to begin ??

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »