Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
The discount is available only for now Nov 4, 2016

Hi Jutta,

Please note that there are no plans for that at the moment. The browniz discount is only available for the moment.

Also, please note that it is possible to transfer browniz points only to non-members. You can read more about this in the FAQ on the matter here http://www.proz.com/faq/4591#4591 .

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Paul
... See more
Hi Jutta,

Please note that there are no plans for that at the moment. The browniz discount is only available for the moment.

Also, please note that it is possible to transfer browniz points only to non-members. You can read more about this in the FAQ on the matter here http://www.proz.com/faq/4591#4591 .

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Paula
Collapse

Jutta Deichselberger
Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:05
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Paula Nov 4, 2016

Thank you for the information!!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:05
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Does anybody have too many browniz? Nov 6, 2016

Yes, I have, 42,452 of them. They will no longer be any use for anything whatsoever after November 15th. See later forum topic about their worthlessness from that date.

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Standard package is NOT cheaper as I got No Browniz Discount Dec 16, 2016

Hello all, I just renewed my membership to the standard package as I saw no benefit to me in the Plus features...don't want TM Town, have my own Cat tools etc.

So, yes, it's supposed to be cheaper and brownies were supposed to be deducted at the checkout but NO they were not not. My new membership + $134.07 whereas last year's
2 Dec 2015 Advanced membership - €121.77 - 4000 Gallagy Purchase: ProZ.com Membership Renewal (professional) with browniz - 1 year
so it may
... See more
Hello all, I just renewed my membership to the standard package as I saw no benefit to me in the Plus features...don't want TM Town, have my own Cat tools etc.

So, yes, it's supposed to be cheaper and brownies were supposed to be deducted at the checkout but NO they were not not. My new membership + $134.07 whereas last year's
2 Dec 2015 Advanced membership - €121.77 - 4000 Gallagy Purchase: ProZ.com Membership Renewal (professional) with browniz - 1 year
so it may not be a big amount but even if only 10 ents more it would still be more expensive so false advertising.

So I raised a support ticket and this is the response I got today

First a long thing about VAT….then

“In regards to the browniz points, with the recent changes made on the site's membership offer I'm afraid browniz discount is currently not available for membership purchases.

As for your renewal method, if you would like to remove your subscription to automatic renewal you can do this from your membership management page:…”

so this is my response

This is nothing to do with VAT as my query wasn't about that at all. I've paid VAT on previous subscriptions as well. The fact is that this is advertised as being cheaper this year and it isn't. There was also no info about browniz no longer being applicable. It said that they would be deducted at checkout.
Also, automatic renewal IS necessary to keep this supposedly “lower” price so what is the point of removing that?

I'll see what other people have to say about this and if they see it as wrongful advertising as well.

[Edited at 2016-12-16 17:40 GMT]
Collapse

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Yes Jack ! Dec 16, 2016

What to do with all these browniz? What is the point of having them?

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I still fantasize... Dec 16, 2016

...about Browniz being dollars. Then I would have $73,000, and I could earn my living from answering ProZ questions, which is much more fun than translating.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Brownies and volunteers Dec 18, 2016

Hello,

I have just read an article by P. Dotterer in which he says Proz.com is seeking volunteering translators lo help localize the site; they will be compensated, among other benefits, with brownies. But do we already know what brownies can be exchanged for, since they can't be exchanged to cover membership fees? Have I missed something?

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Localizers are still compensated with site membership Dec 19, 2016

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

Hello,

I have just read an article by P. Dotterer in which he says Proz.com is seeking volunteering translators lo help localize the site; they will be compensated, among other benefits, with brownies. But do we already know what brownies can be exchanged for, since they can't be exchanged to cover membership fees? Have I missed something?

Hello Susana,

The browniz that site localizers receive can still be exchanged for membership. This is different than a browniz-related discount on the purchase of site membership.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Maria

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:05
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Gold rush? Dec 19, 2016

Maria Kopnitsky wrote:

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

Hello,

Hello Susana,

The browniz that site localizers receive can still be exchanged for membership. This is different than a browniz-related discount on the purchase of site membership.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Maria

If what Maria wrote is true, there may be more site localizers than now, and everybody would be rushing and volunteering to help localize the site because they can get browniz which can be eschanged for membership.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:05
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not really a "gold rush" Dec 19, 2016

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

If what Maria wrote is true, there may be more site localizers than now, and everybody would be rushing and volunteering to help localize the site because they can get browniz which can be eschanged for membership.

It has always been possible to exchange BrowniZ earned by localization to membership.
However, if you look into the details, the "exchange rate" is very low; it is not a major incentive for any professional.
You can exchange 7500 localization BrowniZ for 2 months of membership. If you assume the standard $120/year membership price, that means $20 worth of compensation for your work. (If you calculate with the current discounted $109 price, you get $18.16.)
In order to get 7500 BrowniZ, you need to translate 2500 words, or proofread 7500 words.
So, the per word translation compensation you receive is worth $20/2500words=$0.008/word, or $18.66/2500words=$0.0073/word.
Similarly, the per word proofreading compensation you receive is worth $20/7500words=$0.0026/word, or $18.66/7500words=$0.0024/word.
(And yes, the zeros are correct. Not 8 cents, but 0.8 cents.)

Hardly a great financial incentive.

[Edited at 2016-12-19 15:56 GMT]

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
@ Maria Dec 19, 2016

Thanks Maria, I see.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:05
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
72133 Browniz Jun 27, 2017

Oh, I realize I have 72133 Browniz, but don't know how to spend them. Perhaps they will be with me until I die!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody have too much Brownies...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »