Scammers using false email address - Linguistico
Thread poster: Linguistico
Linguistico
Linguistico
Local time: 04:21
English
Oct 11, 2010

Dear All

It has been brought to our attention that scammers, using a gmail account containing the word "Linguistico" have been sending translation offers in the name of our company, using our postal address and web address.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE OFFERS ARE IN NO WAY RELATED TO LINGUISTICO PTY LIMITED, LINGUISTICO (AUSTRALIA) PTY LIMITED, LINGUISTICO LIMITED, ITS OFFICERS OR AGENTS.

We have been alerted that similar activity has occurred in the past, usin
... See more
Dear All

It has been brought to our attention that scammers, using a gmail account containing the word "Linguistico" have been sending translation offers in the name of our company, using our postal address and web address.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE OFFERS ARE IN NO WAY RELATED TO LINGUISTICO PTY LIMITED, LINGUISTICO (AUSTRALIA) PTY LIMITED, LINGUISTICO LIMITED, ITS OFFICERS OR AGENTS.

We have been alerted that similar activity has occurred in the past, using other email addresses similar to those of reputable companies, with dire results such as non-payment.

Please only accept work from a genuine Linguistico email address using a dot com dot au or a dot eu extension.

Many thanks for your time.

David
Collapse

belindaccg
belindaccg  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:51
Japanese to Chinese
+ ...
about the Scammers! Oct 21, 2010

Hi!
I just got one e-mail from them. The e-mail address is [email protected]. It is scammer? Could you please reply to me asap. Thanks!
Best Regards
Beinda

Linguistico
Linguistico
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Belinda Oct 21, 2010

Yes, it is a scam. Please do not respond.

As noted, unless it comes from a linguistico dot com dot au or linguistico dot eu extension, it is not from us.

Thanks for notifying.

If you could forward the email to info at linguistico dot com dot au it would be greatly appreciated.

Best.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:51
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Probably it is a scammer Oct 21, 2010

As they said:

Please only accept work from a genuine Linguistico email address using a dot com dot au or a dot eu extension.

So no gmail.com extension.

Joanna Chow
Joanna Chow
German to Chinese
+ ...
very urgent about Linguistico Oct 26, 2010

Hello David,

I just did a few jobs for [email protected]. Can you tell me it is your company or not? Now I am very worrying about it. The contact person is Amanda.

Regards,
Joanna Chow

[修改时间: 2010-10-26 23:25 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't be naïve!! Oct 26, 2010

If you receive an email with a Gmail (or Yahoo, or Hotmail, or any other free service) account called like an actually existing company, how do you explain that they don't email using their domain name?? It is clearly scam!

Joanna Chow
Joanna Chow
German to Chinese
+ ...
if it is real, it is terrible for me Oct 27, 2010

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply first. The contact person is Amanda. She used your website & telephone and she knows translation field well also. Is she your previous staff? Because I read your website and you have a staff named Amanda. Also in her first email, she quoted my resume which I sent to linguistico on May 2008 ( it was my previous resume which is made in 2008, how can she get my resume so early, it is very strange). So I was thinking that she is really from linguist
... See more
Hello David,

Thanks for your reply first. The contact person is Amanda. She used your website & telephone and she knows translation field well also. Is she your previous staff? Because I read your website and you have a staff named Amanda. Also in her first email, she quoted my resume which I sent to linguistico on May 2008 ( it was my previous resume which is made in 2008, how can she get my resume so early, it is very strange). So I was thinking that she is really from linguistico at that time. The problem is that I did the job one week ago but the payment term is 30 days. So I don't get the payment yet. Now you said she is not legal. How can I get the payment? The translation amount is more than 1000 USD.

The jobs I did are from the famous customers. If she is fake, how can she get the translation job from the customers? If you can give me any instruction, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joanna Chow
Collapse

Linguistico
Linguistico
English
TOPIC STARTER
Linguistico Oct 27, 2010

Joanna

Thank you for your seven emails received overnight in relation to this matter.

Unfortunately, Tomás is correct. You should always conduct your own due diligence when taking on translation work and never accept instructions from a webmail address.

We take all such matters very seriously at Linguistico and you can be assured that we have undertaken all steps necessary to ensure that our freelancers are aware of the situation and that our company's r
... See more
Joanna

Thank you for your seven emails received overnight in relation to this matter.

Unfortunately, Tomás is correct. You should always conduct your own due diligence when taking on translation work and never accept instructions from a webmail address.

We take all such matters very seriously at Linguistico and you can be assured that we have undertaken all steps necessary to ensure that our freelancers are aware of the situation and that our company's reputation remains solid.

Best,

David
Collapse

Joanna Chow
Joanna Chow
German to Chinese
+ ...
about the scammer Oct 27, 2010

Hello David,

On your website, there is no domain name mail box. So if i want to get your domain box, possilby I need to send the email to you first. Besides, some small customers like using gmail or yahoo mail as working mail. So I didn't pay high attention on this issue.

It is my first time to meet the one who use the other company title to do this behavior. It is really tricky. Generelly the scammer is using their own title to do this behavior.

Once agai
... See more
Hello David,

On your website, there is no domain name mail box. So if i want to get your domain box, possilby I need to send the email to you first. Besides, some small customers like using gmail or yahoo mail as working mail. So I didn't pay high attention on this issue.

It is my first time to meet the one who use the other company title to do this behavior. It is really tricky. Generelly the scammer is using their own title to do this behavior.

Once again, would you like to tell me if this Amanda was working in your company before so she knows your company and translation field so well?

Thanks!
Joanna Chow
Collapse

Linguistico
Linguistico
English
TOPIC STARTER
Scams - Linguistico / gmail Dec 13, 2010

Hi All

Further update to alert translators not to take instructions from purported Linguistico staff members using gmail or other webmail addresses. These are not genuine Linguistico staff or projects and we would urge caution when dealing with agencies using webmail addresses.

Despite the warnings, it appears that a few translators are still being caught out.

We have used our website, ProZ, Translators' Cafe and Twitter to alert translators but, if you a
... See more
Hi All

Further update to alert translators not to take instructions from purported Linguistico staff members using gmail or other webmail addresses. These are not genuine Linguistico staff or projects and we would urge caution when dealing with agencies using webmail addresses.

Despite the warnings, it appears that a few translators are still being caught out.

We have used our website, ProZ, Translators' Cafe and Twitter to alert translators but, if you are able to email a warning to your peers and link to this forum, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

David
Collapse

Andrew Zhu
Andrew Zhu  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
hello Dec 22, 2010

Yes, from this bulletin, it seems that I never see the Linguistico representative reveal his official email address. This is quite bewildering.

Andrew Zhu
Andrew Zhu  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
hello Dec 22, 2010

I noted in the blueboard for Linguistico that there was one comment from a linguist as follows:

Darío Zozaya 1613 - 26551 Excellent outsourcer. Amanda and David are very corteous and professional. Punctual payment. I would be delighted to work for them again.

Amanda appears to still be an active memeber of Linguistico. I think David may have to explain this.

Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Israel
Local time: 21:51
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
@Andrew and Joanna Dec 22, 2010

Someone using the name of a real company would probably not hesitate to use a fake name. What better than a name of an actual employee of the real company?

Talent Success
Talent Success
United States
Local time: 13:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More scam updates Jan 29, 2011

Hello all:

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with this translation scam. My company outsourced to this "agency", and after learning about his practices, we're withholding payment to him and instead paying his translators directly. He's now smearing my company as far and wide as he can, which of course is quite disturbing to say the least!

I just posted a blog about it, so feel free to take a look and/or share: <
... See more
Hello all:

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with this translation scam. My company outsourced to this "agency", and after learning about his practices, we're withholding payment to him and instead paying his translators directly. He's now smearing my company as far and wide as he can, which of course is quite disturbing to say the least!

I just posted a blog about it, so feel free to take a look and/or share: http://workforcelanguageservices.com/blog/2011/01/29/response-to-fraudulent-claims-an-american-transalation-agency-workforce-language-services/.

Let's hope we can all be more aware of scams like these and prevent them from happening!
Collapse

Linguistico
Linguistico
English
TOPIC STARTER
Just to keep this thread going - scams - be careful Feb 6, 2011

Hi All

Further to the above discussion, I wanted to ensure that this thread remained open in order to continually warn translators of the dangers of working for purportedly genuine agencies which use a webmail address.

Please be vigilant and, in the case of Linguistico, we will only send emails from a linguistico.com.au or linguistico.eu extension.

If anyone receives anything suspicious, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best,
... See more
Hi All

Further to the above discussion, I wanted to ensure that this thread remained open in order to continually warn translators of the dangers of working for purportedly genuine agencies which use a webmail address.

Please be vigilant and, in the case of Linguistico, we will only send emails from a linguistico.com.au or linguistico.eu extension.

If anyone receives anything suspicious, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best,

David
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammers using false email address - Linguistico

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »