Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Realtranslatorjobs.com: too good to be true?
Thread poster: Helene Diu
Helene Diu
Helene Diu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:03
Member (2004)
English to French
Jun 22, 2011

Hello,

Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't find anything in the archives.

I came across this website today out of curiosity, following a commercial link on a search engine:

http://www.realtranslatorjobs.com/

The website promises $$$$ earnings from translations, no qualifications needed.

You have to enter a name and e-mail adres
... See more
Hello,

I came across this website today out of curiosity, following a commercial link on a search engine:

You have to enter a name and e-mail adress, then you get to a page asking you to pay 68$ to register and start getting FR > EN jobs from what seems to be large companies (dell, Mc donald's, etc).

What do you people think of it?

Thinking it was a scam, I hit the "back" button on my browser and got offered a special "friend discount", ie the possibility to register for only 24$.

When you look up the name on Internet, you find links towards so-called "review" sites that give amazingly good reviews (nearly 5/5) but seem to be fake pages leading you again to the sign-up page for the site.

Any opinion on this?

Helene
Collapse

Elena Aleksandrova
Elena Aleksandrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:03
Member (2009)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Scam Jun 22, 2011

I have to pay to have a look around - how nice!

No address, no phone number (I couldn't see any) - definetely a scam.

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
a scam Jun 22, 2011

Hello Helene,

I think it's a scam. They promise too much and there is no "about us" section, no company details.

It seems as though they have a somewhat affiliate program for bloggers to post good reviews for them.

kchansen
kchansen
English to Danish
My rule of thumb Jun 22, 2011

If they want YOU to pay THEM, it's a scam!

Besides, paying for access to a job database where you get to compete with rank amateurs who think that because they speak two languages they can do translations? No thanks, even assuming it is not a scam!

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
I never pay to work Jun 22, 2011

It's something I've heard repeated time and again on TV: don't pay to work. The idea is that you're supposed to BE PAID, not the other way round!

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
affiliates Jun 22, 2011

... in addition to what has already been written my assumption was right, all good reviews are done from affiliates.

[Edited at 2011-06-22 15:47 GMT]

Lords
Lords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is Definitely a scam. Jun 22, 2011

It is impossible that these people can be in touch with those big companies. Anyone who has at least some experience translating knows that those companies will not accept jobs from unqualified people; in addition, they are not testing them, they are just collecting money from naive people.

If we do the maths, they are going to make a lot of money with all of those people without experience who are getting enrolled everyday and as it happens with those companies once everybody get a
... See more
It is impossible that these people can be in touch with those big companies. Anyone who has at least some experience translating knows that those companies will not accept jobs from unqualified people; in addition, they are not testing them, they are just collecting money from naive people.

If we do the maths, they are going to make a lot of money with all of those people without experience who are getting enrolled everyday and as it happens with those companies once everybody get acquainted with the scam, it is going to disappear and may appear, later on, with a different page an name.

Take care.

Helene Diu wrote:

Hello,

You have to enter a name and e-mail adress, then you get to a page asking you to pay 68$ to register and start getting FR > EN jobs from what seems to be large companies (dell, Mc donald's, etc).

Thinking it was a scam, I hit the "back" button on my browser and got offered a special "friend discount", ie the possibility to register for only 24$.

When you look up the name on Internet, you find links towards so-called "review" sites that give amazingly good reviews (nearly 5/5) but seem to be fake pages leading you again to the sign-up page for the site.

Any opinion on this?

Helene
Collapse

Maika Vicente Navarro
Maika Vicente Navarro  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't pay unless you get a real benefit Jun 22, 2011

Any company that has affiliate or membership fees to use its services, has definite, clear benefits for the people who pay for those services.

If you are unsure of what benefits would you get if you pay for the affiliate program, don't pay it. Better safe than sorry.

In this case, it looks like a scam. You have to pay to work, or get work. It does not seem that they offer anything else, like promoting your services in their community, forums or training courses, as so
... See more
Any company that has affiliate or membership fees to use its services, has definite, clear benefits for the people who pay for those services.

If you are unsure of what benefits would you get if you pay for the affiliate program, don't pay it. Better safe than sorry.

In this case, it looks like a scam. You have to pay to work, or get work. It does not seem that they offer anything else, like promoting your services in their community, forums or training courses, as some other Websites offer to their members.

If you want to pay for something, be sure that you get a clear benefit in terms of:

- Getting access to profesional staff who will help and support you
- Real possibility of obtaining jobs or connecting with potential customers
- Real promotion of your services
- Forums, terminology share, debates, etc
- Any other benefit you might imagine

Maika
Collapse

Helene Diu
Helene Diu  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
At least now they're listed Jun 22, 2011

Thanks all for your replies so far.

My guess is, the people most likely to be lured into this kind of scheme probably won't be ProZ members, who are usually wise

But at least, the webiste name is now archived in a forum thread and anyone looking it up will find these posts and be warned!

Cheers,

Helene

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
First thing to do... Jun 22, 2011

The first thing to do in such cases, even before asking oneself if such a site is worth your while, is to check the WhoIs information.

In this case, it has be carefully withheld and the contact details are those of the registrar.

Why would anybody offering such great opportunities want anonymity?

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Peter, kchansen et al: Paying a client is no business strategy Jun 22, 2011

Just like with other databases (databases that might be not scam, but still be not worth a 2nd look at) - in this case, the same rule of thumb for any professional in this business applies, regardless if the promised service is indeed scam of not: You do not pay your client, your clients pay you. That's how it's supposed to work. Any page that asks you for $$ for promises is a page that you should close asap in case you want to stick to your trade.

Pages that do indeed work - i.e a
... See more
Just like with other databases (databases that might be not scam, but still be not worth a 2nd look at) - in this case, the same rule of thumb for any professional in this business applies, regardless if the promised service is indeed scam of not: You do not pay your client, your clients pay you. That's how it's supposed to work. Any page that asks you for $$ for promises is a page that you should close asap in case you want to stick to your trade.

Pages that do indeed work - i.e are indeed able to process successful projects - don't ask you for fixed prices, they work and function successfully with a percentage fee, therefore resembling the business model of agencies. At least, for me this is how I weed scams (and worthless offers) out.

And... coming back to the page in question: to be honest, even from the first look at it, it makes the impression of a hardcore scam. You may tell it's prejudice, but somehow, such pages do have signs that you can spot, similar to scams in emails: As you can read in all those recent scam threads, there is something in common in such scam offers: terrible English, horrible style, something you can recognize. Scam pages, on the other hand, seem also to have something in common: graphic design that seriously hurts your eye.

[Edited at 2011-06-22 18:56 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Possibly a scam, definitly a worthless product Jun 22, 2011

Helene Diu wrote:

Actually, the web site doesn't promise anything, if you read carefully. What the web site offers is *guidance* and access to job listings, but after that you're on your own.

The web site makes use of several tricks to get people to buy the product, but that in itself isn't considered dishonest by most companies. For me, the site has a little Dutch flag and it touts Dutch-English translation, so obviously the web site guessed what to show me based on my location. That "HALFOFF" coupon is a nice touch -- I'll have to share it with some folks I know who sell e-books via such web sites.

Should you buy this product? No, you'd be stupid if you do.

Morten Alme
Morten Alme

English to Norwegian
A scam Jun 22, 2011

Helene Diu wrote:

Hello,

Any opinion on this?

Helene

Most definetly a scam...

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Typos Jun 22, 2011

Not to mention the fact that the home page is full of misspelled words:
Example: "While there are literally THOUASANDS of..."

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
It shows the flags of my working language pairs Jun 22, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Helene Diu wrote:

Actually, the web site doesn't promise anything, if you read carefully. What the web site offers is *guidance* and access to job listings, but after that you're on your own.

The web site makes use of several tricks to get people to buy the product, but that in itself isn't considered dishonest by most companies. For me, the site has a little Dutch flag and it touts Dutch-English translation, so obviously the web site guessed what to show me based on my location. That "HALFOFF" coupon is a nice touch -- I'll have to share it with some folks I know who sell e-books via such web sites.

Should you buy this product? No, you'd be stupid if you do.

Hi Samuel,

I believe it is a scam, for all what previously mentioned. Another thing, when I opened the website page, I found the flags of my working language pairs. I think they depend on the IP's.

Thanks,
Mohamed

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Realtranslatorjobs.com: too good to be true?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »