Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Could this be a scammer or a phisher? (web crawlers on visitors page)
Thread poster: Tom in London
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:32
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
wo ai zhongguo ran! Jul 25, 2017

... but, on the other side, their search results aren´t bad, i.e.:

See more
... but, on the other side, their search results aren´t bad, i.e.:

http://www.baidu.com/s?ie=utf-8&f=8&rsv_bp=1&rsv_idx=1&tn=baidu&wd=monty%20python%20i%20like%20chinese%20youtube&oq=monty%20python%20chinese&rsv_pq=fc23a62d000043f8&rsv_t=697b9WeNuZCcw1SklTrR6SulGoIox944QWoIkeU/7kybQuk3pwGU20j6GqI&rqlang=cn&rsv_enter=1&inputT=5704&rsv_sug3=64&rsv_sug2=0&rsv_sug4=6659

and, in this case, even uncensored!

[Edited at 2017-07-25 14:04 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Me too Jul 25, 2017

In recent weeks I've also had "visits" to my profile here by baidu.com almost every day. I too have no clients in China and Chinese is not one of my languages.
I've also recently been receiving many more of those annoying telephone calls from India (probably), attempting the usual scams. The latest is from some firm which asks "Have you been receiving nuisance calls recently? We can stop that". I reply "Yes, I have, and you're one of them. Goodbye".
Perhaps the more frequent nuisanc
... See more
In recent weeks I've also had "visits" to my profile here by baidu.com almost every day. I too have no clients in China and Chinese is not one of my languages.
I've also recently been receiving many more of those annoying telephone calls from India (probably), attempting the usual scams. The latest is from some firm which asks "Have you been receiving nuisance calls recently? We can stop that". I reply "Yes, I have, and you're one of them. Goodbye".
Perhaps the more frequent nuisance calls are just a coincidence and have nothing to do with baidu.com, who knows?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Never say yes Jul 25, 2017

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Perhaps the more frequent nuisance calls are just a coincidence and have nothing to do with baidu.com, who knows?

A word of warning: apparently there is a scam going round whereby if you say "yes" in answer to the question they ask you, you are actually agreeing to a contractual relationship. So despite the temptation to reply, it's always best just to hang up and never confirm that you are who they think you are.

[Edited at 2017-07-25 15:03 GMT]

Daniela Slankamenac
Daniela Slankamenac  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
Same here Jul 25, 2017

I've also noticed many "visits" from baidu.com and, like Mirko, I wonder why aren't they listed under the Search engine tab if they are crawlers. Any explanation from the staff?

You are right, Tom about not saying "Yes" over the phone, I've heard about this scam, too.

[Edited at 2017-07-25 15:22 GMT]

Chiara Gavasso
Chiara Gavasso  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here Jul 25, 2017

I noticed the same activity starting from last May, so I messaged a member of Proz.com staff asking what that was about and here's the reply:

"Please note that www.baidu.com is a Chinese search engine for websites. You can find additional information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu . Therefore, those
... See more
I noticed the same activity starting from last May, so I messaged a member of Proz.com staff asking what that was about and here's the reply:

"Please note that www.baidu.com is a Chinese search engine for websites. You can find additional information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu . Therefore, those visits are coming primarily from a search engine crawler, which is what goes out and 'spiders' the Internet for pages to be searchable. So basically, no need for alarm, a machine is visiting your profile numerous times, not a human.

If you'd like to find out some more information about this, feel free to take a look at this forum post:

http://www.proz.com/topic/58344

Hope this explains!"

I keep on having those visits, from various IP addresses. I just live with that.

Chiara
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
OK, but... Aug 5, 2017

Chiara Gavasso wrote:

"Please note that www.baidu.com is a Chinese search engine for websites. You can find additional information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu . Therefore, those visits are coming primarily from a search engine crawler, which is what goes out and 'spiders' the Internet for pages to be searchable. So basically, no need for alarm, a machine is visiting your profile numerous times, not a human.

If you'd like to find out some more information about this, feel free to take a look at this forum post:

http://www.proz.com/topic/58344

Hope this explains!"

I keep on having those visits, from various IP addresses. I just live with that.

Chiara

OK, but if that's the case (a Chinese crawler using dozens of different US IPs?), then, like Daniela was saying, why aren't those visits being correctly identified as such and filtered by ProZ? I mean, it looks like an alien invasion is going on in my Visitors tab (no pun intended)... Could someone from the staff please comment on this? Thanks.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:32
German to English
+ ...
Yesterday Aug 9, 2017

a logged in freelancer with IP adress in London or its vicinity has visited my profile 6 times. He/she came from the forum about incentives to stay with Proz. Is he/she a scammer or a phisher?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not me Aug 9, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

a logged in freelancer with IP adress in London or its vicinity has visited my profile 6 times. He/she came from the forum about incentives to stay with Proz. Is he/she a scammer or a phisher?

It wasn't me !

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not necessarily suspicious Aug 9, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

[Yesterday] a logged in freelancer with IP adress in London or its vicinity has visited my profile 6 times. He/she came from the forum about incentives to stay with Proz.

1) You don't know if this is the same user visiting 6 times, or 6 different users each visiting once — if you have contributed to a forum, it's not unusual for people following that thread to go and take a look at your profile

2) An IP address near London doesn't necessarily mean anything: it could be the generic IP of an ISP, for example

So I don't think there's anything inherently suspicious about this activity.

However, you might do well to check the security of your profile: in particular, having had my CV "stolen" on a number of occasions, I now choose not to publish a CV on my profile; you may also wish to make sure that personal contact details are not openly visible.

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
Hi Tom Aug 9, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

It wasn't me !

God forbid, I have not alluded that it were you:) The naked truth is that some freelancer from London or its vicinity has accessed my profile 6 times and I wonder why.

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
I don't think Aug 9, 2017

Tony M wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

[Yesterday] a logged in freelancer with IP adress in London or its vicinity has visited my profile 6 times. He/she came from the forum about incentives to stay with Proz.

1) You don't know if this is the same user visiting 6 times, or 6 different users each visiting once — if you have contributed to a forum, it's not unusual for people following that thread to go and take a look at your profile

2) An IP address near London doesn't necessarily mean anything: it could be the generic IP of an ISP, for example

So I don't think there's anything inherently suspicious about this activity.

However, you might do well to check the security of your profile: in particular, having had my CV "stolen" on a number of occasions, I now choose not to publish a CV on my profile; you may also wish to make sure that personal contact details are not openly visible.

that 6 independent users have logged in the same forum from the same IP address in London or vicinity. As regards the security of my profile, rest assured that it is the same as yours if not higher.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Like I said... Aug 9, 2017

[quote]Maija Cirule wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

that 6 independent users have logged in the same forum from the same IP address in London or vicinity.

Like I said, many people follow forums, and if / when a new post is added, will go and take a look again at the thread; besides, you don't know if it is all from the same thread or not. Statistically, 6 people coming from the same forum is not at all implausible — particularly if it is a forum to which you have contributed more than once, perhaps?

And as I also said, for all you know these 6 people could be distributed all over the British isles or even abroad... but just happen to all use the same ISP, whose IP address resolves to London.

My own ISP, which I share with no doubt millions of other susbcribers, places all of us in a provincial city whose actual population is infinitely smaller!

Maija Cirule wrote:
As regards the security of my profile, rest assured that it is the same as yours if not higher.

Well, I'm so pleased for you — though I see no justification for the slightly confrontational tone of your remark? If you are seriously worried about people visitng your profile, then obviously the first step you can take is to make sure it is as secure as possible. I am glad that you have been able to do so, and so do not need to worry about such things.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could this be a scammer or a phisher? (web crawlers on visitors page)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »