"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when creating new project
Thread poster: Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 06:36
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
May 11, 2017

So I'm getting the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" on the language select dialog when I'm trying to start a new project on Trados 2017 Freelance on Windows 10. As far as I know, everything is up to date, and this is the first time this has happened, but I'll tell you what, being unable to create a project is certainly somewhat of a problem right now. I've linked the error log in hopes that someone might be able to help, because it's 9pm and this bloody projec... See more
So I'm getting the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" on the language select dialog when I'm trying to start a new project on Trados 2017 Freelance on Windows 10. As far as I know, everything is up to date, and this is the first time this has happened, but I'll tell you what, being unable to create a project is certainly somewhat of a problem right now. I've linked the error log in hopes that someone might be able to help, because it's 9pm and this bloody project is due at noon tomorrow.

Error Log
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Probably known new bug, already reported to SDL May 11, 2017

Geof Aberhart wrote:

So I'm getting the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" on the language select dialog when I'm trying to start a new project on Trados 2017 Freelance on Windows 10. As far as I know, everything is up to date, and this is the first time this has happened, but I'll tell you what, being unable to create a project is certainly somewhat of a problem right now. I've linked the error log in hopes that someone might be able to help, because it's 9pm and this bloody project is due at noon tomorrow.

Error Log

Are you getting the error when trying to create a new project based on another one? If that is so, it's a bug, and I've already reported it to SDL Support.

Their suggested workaround (until the bug is fixed) is to either use one of the existing templates, or create a new template based on a previous project (in the Projects view in Studio, select the project you want to create a template from, right click, and select "Create Project Template").

[Edited at 2017-05-11 14:42 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:36
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Had this too yesterday May 11, 2017

I had to create a new project and could not use a previous one or template.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:36
French to English
+ ...
Reset window layout May 11, 2017

Sometimes works for Studio 2011. I think that's how it's phrased.

Geof Aberhart
Taiwan
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice May 12, 2017

Thanks everyone. I was trying to create a project based on an older one, so I guess I'll just create a new template or something for future stuff. I ended up getting the aforementioned job done anyway, but yeah it's not exactly convenient to have project creation broken. I sure hope they get that bug fixed quick bloody smart though.

[Edited at 2017-05-12 07:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-05-12 07:19 GMT]

Geof Aberhart
Taiwan
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still waiting..... Jun 1, 2017

I don't suppose anyone's heard anything about them actually fixing this stupid bug yet have they?

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL community Jun 2, 2017

You can try posting your problem in the SDL Community:

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/

Konat
Konat
English to Polish
+ ...
this bug is so annoying! Jun 9, 2017

How come they haven't fixed it for over a month now? They just broke it and left it like that? This bug is so annoying! And SDL, they just don't give a $%@$ about their users.

Radmila Sobacic

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Trados Studio 2017: Object reference not set to an instance of an object - a work around Sep 27, 2017

I have just experienced this error message when trying to save target for a bilingual Excel file due for delivery today (so no time for trying to figure out what this error message is supposed to mean and how to solve the problem).

My work around:

- generate a translation memory from the completed translation
- export TM to TMX
- upload source file to W
... See more
I have just experienced this error message when trying to save target for a bilingual Excel file due for delivery today (so no time for trying to figure out what this error message is supposed to mean and how to solve the problem).

My work around:

- generate a translation memory from the completed translation
- export TM to TMX
- upload source file to Wordfast Anywhere
(free on-line CAT: https://www.freetm.com/anywhere.html)
- upload TMX to WF Anywhere
- auto propagate segments through all the document (only minor manual interventions required - for tags)
- download the translated file in Excel format (WF Anywhere does not generate idiotic and incomprehensible error messages!)
- Done!

Although I am a generally satisfied user of Trados, which has some tremendous functions, there are some areas where it can be very aggravating and unhelpful - such as this error message!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when creating new project

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »