Thread poster: saritamzn (X)
saritamzn (X)
saritamzn (X)
Local time: 18:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 4, 2012

Hello,

I'm about to finish my undergraduate program in translation and (thinking about what to do afterwards) I find audiovisual translation pretty interesting. Therefore, I've been reading some posts about subtitling, dubbing, ... However, there's something I'm still not sure about. I believe it would be better to study abroad (so I can improve my English) but there are too many universities where you can do it.

Which are the best universities (in your opinion) that t
... See more
Hello,

I'm about to finish my undergraduate program in translation and (thinking about what to do afterwards) I find audiovisual translation pretty interesting. Therefore, I've been reading some posts about subtitling, dubbing, ... However, there's something I'm still not sure about. I believe it would be better to study abroad (so I can improve my English) but there are too many universities where you can do it.

Which are the best universities (in your opinion) that teach this program?

(I don't know if this issue has been discussed before, so please excuse me if that's the case)

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Amanda Jorgensen (X)
Amanda Jorgensen (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Universities in the UK Jan 13, 2012

Hi Sarita,

Here are the links to the Universities in the UK that have this course and what I know from some of them:

http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/postgraduate-courses/audiovisual-translation/index.html?WT.srch=1&gclid=CKe1p4_NzK0CFWkJtAodpBDzxg

I know quite a few successful
... See more
Hi Sarita,

Here are the links to the Universities in the UK that have this course and what I know from some of them:

http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/postgraduate-courses/audiovisual-translation/index.html?WT.srch=1&gclid=CKe1p4_NzK0CFWkJtAodpBDzxg

I know quite a few successful subtitlers who did this MA and were happy about it

http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/audiovisual-translation

That's where I did my MA. I learned a lot, but I have to say, the course was not very well organised. (My class was the very first to do this MA at City, so we were sort of their guinea pigs...) Having said that, they were very open to feedback and promised to improve the areas we suggested.

http://www2.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/audiovisualtranslation/

I am biased to talk about University of Surrey, as I am one of their subtitling tutors. But they were one of the first universities to offer this MA and many of the AVT scholars you are going to be reading have either taught or even studied there, so I definitely recommend it!

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/coursefinder/18061/MA_Audiovisual_Translation_Studies

I don't know anything about this course, sorry. I only looked into the ones in London when I was studying.

I hope this helps you!
Best,

Amanda

[Edited at 2012-01-13 09:04 GMT]
Collapse

JoyceAurik
JoyceAurik
English to Dutch
+ ...
Antwerp, Belgium Jan 13, 2012

Hi Sarita,

The college I went to for my Master in Translation (Lessius Hogeschool in Antwerp) offers a post-graduate course in specialized translation of which audiovisual translation is one of the courses. I'm not completely sure you can enter with only a finished undergraduate programme, but you can always try. I haven't followed the course myself, but attended one class for my Master's dissertation. There seemed to
... See more
Hi Sarita,

The college I went to for my Master in Translation (Lessius Hogeschool in Antwerp) offers a post-graduate course in specialized translation of which audiovisual translation is one of the courses. I'm not completely sure you can enter with only a finished undergraduate programme, but you can always try. I haven't followed the course myself, but attended one class for my Master's dissertation. There seemed to be a lot of Erasmus students following this course and as far as I know it's a good one. It also offers course in other subareas such as localization so you might be able to specialize in more than one subject.

http://www.lessius.eu/tt/stk/tt_postgraduatettl.aspx

Good luck!

Joyce
Collapse

Laura LAPIERRE
Laura LAPIERRE
France
English to French
+ ...
Which MA Nov 19, 2013

Hi i'm Laura,

I'm currently enrolled in the MA of audiovisual translation at Roehampon, but i'm not quite sure i like it there. There are not so many hours of classes (6 per week) and i feel that i have to work and read on my own with not so much guidance.

I've decided to pay for the MA with my savings and for now as i'm not so sure i'm happy with the MA i'm considering dropping out and apply for the surrey one next year.

I'm not sure it's the right decisi
... See more
Hi i'm Laura,

I'm currently enrolled in the MA of audiovisual translation at Roehampon, but i'm not quite sure i like it there. There are not so many hours of classes (6 per week) and i feel that i have to work and read on my own with not so much guidance.

I've decided to pay for the MA with my savings and for now as i'm not so sure i'm happy with the MA i'm considering dropping out and apply for the surrey one next year.

I'm not sure it's the right decision, but i'm spending my money (london is so expensive but i haven't spent too much yet) and i'm not so happy. Is it the organisation of every MA, or does surrey have more hours of teaching?

I'm looking for something innspirational that i'm not finding in london, but at the same time i don't want to make a mistake by dropping out.

Thanks a lot for your help!
cheers
Laura
Collapse

Sara-
Sara-
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Surrey? Jan 20, 2014

Hello everyone,
I have an offer to study audiovisual translation in Roehampton and Surrey. I am quite determined to go to Surrey, but I would like to hear from some of your experiences.

Laura Landia wrote:

Hi i'm Laura,

I'm not sure it's the right decision, but i'm spending my money (london is so expensive but i haven't spent too much yet) and i'm not so happy. Is it the organisation of every MA, or does surrey have more hours of teaching?

I'm looking for something innspirational that i'm not finding in london, but at the same time i don't want to make a mistake by dropping out.

Thanks a lot for your help!
cheers
Laura

Laura, you say you don't like Roehampton, are considering applying to Surrey then?

Best,
Sara

Froggie Frankie
Froggie Frankie
United Kingdom
English to French
Which London university to choose for MA in Audiovisual Translation? Mar 15, 2015

Hi

Could I have some feedback from post-grad students who attend City University and Roehampton - in Audiovisual Translation PART- TIME? I don't know which one to choose.

I would also like to know how much "contact time" you currently have as I need to know how often I will have to travel into London. I live 2 hours away by train and am a working professional.

Thanks for all you tips, advice and feedback.

Laura Previtali
Laura Previtali
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
A bit more infos, please? Jan 19, 2017

Hello!

I am projecting to start Audiovisual Translation MA in Roehampton, and I would like to ask Laura if you can give us a little more details about the things you didn't like there. Is it only because of the reduced quantity of hours per week?

Which courses did you choose? How were the lectures? How was the translation structured (i.e. were there some specific couse for translating eng>ita/ita>eng or fr>eng/eng>fr or other combinations..?).

The more in
... See more
Hello!

I am projecting to start Audiovisual Translation MA in Roehampton, and I would like to ask Laura if you can give us a little more details about the things you didn't like there. Is it only because of the reduced quantity of hours per week?

Which courses did you choose? How were the lectures? How was the translation structured (i.e. were there some specific couse for translating eng>ita/ita>eng or fr>eng/eng>fr or other combinations..?).

The more infos you can give us, the better would be XD

If someone else has been there please let us know your experience!

Thanks in advice! ^^

Laura
Collapse

Angelica Lacetera
Angelica Lacetera  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
Looking for info about MA in audiovisual translation University of Roehampton Mar 5, 2018

Hi all,

I am considering to apply for MA in audiovisual translation at Roehampton University. I would really appreciate it if anyone who has done it and can come up with some info.

I wonder how much intense it is, I wonder whether I should take a year off and do it full-time or keep working and do it part-time. How many hours a week of lessons are there?

Thank you!

Tia Muller
Tia Muller  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
Late replies Aug 29, 2018

Hello everyone,

I did my MA at Roehampton University, although this was a long time ago (ten years ago). I did it full-time and decided to quit my job to do it. I am glad I did so, but that was also because I wanted to continue with a PhD after, which I did. We had about 20 hours of teaching a week and lots of assignments and reading to do. I found that the quality of the teaching was really good. It also allowed me to build a network of translators and contacts in the industry whic
... See more
Hello everyone,

I did my MA at Roehampton University, although this was a long time ago (ten years ago). I did it full-time and decided to quit my job to do it. I am glad I did so, but that was also because I wanted to continue with a PhD after, which I did. We had about 20 hours of teaching a week and lots of assignments and reading to do. I found that the quality of the teaching was really good. It also allowed me to build a network of translators and contacts in the industry which I still have to this day. Many of my fellow students became successful translators while others opted for something else afterwards. I don't know anything about the other MAs, but I can personally recommend this one!
If you have any other questions about this particular MA, don't hesitate to contact me.

Tia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA AUDIOVISUAL TRANSLATION?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »