cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:23
English to German
+ ...
Mar 28, 2017

Good morning,

I have a file to proofread and I need to use "Track changes". But Wordfast does not seem to have such a function? Is putting thousand of comments really the only thing I can do?

Thank you!

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Segment changes report Mar 28, 2017

Dear Cloudhunter,

You can run a segment changes report from the PM perspective under the Transcheck tab.

Kind regards,

John

PS - What are you doing May 11-14, 2017? Join us for the Wordfast Forward user conference in Varna, Bulgaria!
http://www.wordfast.com/conference/2017

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cloud Mar 28, 2017

cloudhunter wrote:
I have a file to proofread and I need to use "Track changes". But Wordfast does not seem to have such a function? Is putting thousand of comments really the only thing I can do?

If you're using WFP3, then your changes are automatically "tracked", although they are not marked with underlined and strike-through as in some other tools. At the bottom half of the WFP3 window, there is a tab called "Segment changes" where you can see how the changes are tracked.

You could also export the translation to an MS Word table, by going to PM Perspective (click the icon of the ice cream scoop in the left of the WFP3 window) and using Bilingual Export. Then you can use tracked changes in MS Word. When you're done, use the same window to import the MS Word file back into your TXML file, and the changes will automatically be "tracked" in the TXML file. Then optionally send both the TXML file and that MS Word file to the client.

John Di Rico wrote:
You can run a segment changes report from the PM perspective under the Transcheck tab.

Of course, the Segment Changes Report will only output something useful if there are tracked changes in the TXML file. If someone had edited the TXML file in a program that does not keep track of changes, but merely overwrites the old segment with the updated segment, then the Segment Changes Report will not report any changes.

[Edited at 2017-03-28 17:48 GMT]

cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 28, 2017

Thank you John, thank you Samuel.

I have now decided to go with the segment tracking from the PM view. It is working fine. However, I am finding the process a bit complicated in comparison to Trados.

But all in all I am starting to like the programm and I might decide to buy a license after my trial is over (looking for an alternative for Trados).

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Pro 5 segment changes report Mar 28, 2017

Thank you for inspiring this week's Tuesday Tooltip!

Check out today's post on the Wordfast Facebook page that shows you how to do this with the soon-to-be-released Wordfast Pro 5.

Best,
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Track changes in a txml file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »