Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 12:48
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 7, 2017

I have WordFast Pro 5 and MacBook Pro. I was sent a TMX file from an agency and cannot import it. I get the error message: "Error importing TUs, ****.tmx is invalid."
So I did some research and ended up downloading TMXValidator, which cleaned the file of one error and left me a file like this: ****.~tmx. I tried importing that, as is, and I tried importing it without the ~. But to no avail.

I might be making a rookie mistake, but I have run out of ideas. (Language locales are
... See more
I have WordFast Pro 5 and MacBook Pro. I was sent a TMX file from an agency and cannot import it. I get the error message: "Error importing TUs, ****.tmx is invalid."
So I did some research and ended up downloading TMXValidator, which cleaned the file of one error and left me a file like this: ****.~tmx. I tried importing that, as is, and I tried importing it without the ~. But to no avail.

I might be making a rookie mistake, but I have run out of ideas. (Language locales are correct.)

I hope someone can help.

Thank you.

E.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Good luck! Jul 7, 2017

I have to go through a strange process to use the tmx files that I get sent.

First, (I don't know if this will apply to you) I have to open the tmx in TextEdit and change the source/target language codes from THA/ENG_US to TH/EN_US.

Second, I have to upload to Wordfast Anywhere, then download as a Wordfast txt file.

I've sent queries asking WF why this crazy process is necessary, but never got a reply.

Hope this works for you!

DJH

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jul 8, 2017

Hi DJ,

Oh wow. Thank you for the tip. I had to create an account in WF Anywhere, and being new to it, I had to do a bit of trial and error before I finally got it to work. This issue has taken about 5 hours, so I really appreciate it!
Just one question, do you change the language codes in the TextEdit to match the language codes you have set up in WordFast Anywhere? In my initial setup I used the language codes EN/NO, since I often get variations on this combination, but it di
... See more
Hi DJ,

Oh wow. Thank you for the tip. I had to create an account in WF Anywhere, and being new to it, I had to do a bit of trial and error before I finally got it to work. This issue has taken about 5 hours, so I really appreciate it!
Just one question, do you change the language codes in the TextEdit to match the language codes you have set up in WordFast Anywhere? In my initial setup I used the language codes EN/NO, since I often get variations on this combination, but it didn't work (in retrospect, I might not have waited long enough for the TMX to upload). So I tried to change the EN/NO in the WFA setup, but I couldn't figure out how. I ended up deleting my account and starting fresh, with EN-GB and NB-NO. And then it worked. But what if I have to change it again for another project – ?

Thank you again!

Elisabeth
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Several TMs Jul 8, 2017

In WFA, simply create several translation memories (and glossaries as appropriate) with the language pairs as you need. You do not have to delete and create accounts for every new document.

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 8, 2017

esperantisto wrote:

In WFA, simply create several translation memories (and glossaries as appropriate) with the language pairs as you need. You do not have to delete and create accounts for every new document.

I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

Elisabeth

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Multitrans Jul 8, 2017

Elisabeth Maurland wrote:

Just one question, do you change the language codes in the TextEdit to match the language codes you have set up in WordFast Anywhere?

Hi Elisabeth,

The TMX files I get sent are exported from Multitrans, which uses longer language codes.

I receive their XLF and TMX files and first have to change language codes in both files.

For the TMX I have to find and replace all: < tuv xml:lang="eng_us" > and change to < tuv xml:lang="en_us" >, all < tuv xml:lang="tha" > and change to < tuv xml:lang="th" >.

Once this is complete, I can upload to WFA.

With the XLF file I have to find the: source-language="tha" target-language="eng-US" hidden within the first big paragraph of code and change to source-language="th" target-language="en-US".

Once complete, it all works like a breeze, but I can't forget to change the XML codes back before delivery!

[Edited at 2017-07-08 23:09 GMT]

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you … Jul 9, 2017

… for that explanation!

Elisabeth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message when trying to import TMX

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »