Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:26
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 13, 2018

I know outsourcers read forums too. If you are reading this, and you are an outsourcer, please stop requesting translation tests. It happens almost daily.

If you want to deal with professionals, know how to deal with one.

Ester Vidal
Rahaf ziad
Armine Abelyan
Dreams12
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Josephine Cassar
Katalin Szilárd

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And... Jul 13, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

I know outsourcers read forums too. If you are reading this, and you are an outsourcer, please stop requesting translation tests. It happens almost daily.

If you want to deal with professionals, know how to deal with one.

And when we *do* do them, please have them proofread by someone who knows what they're doing !

[Edited at 2018-07-13 10:15 GMT]

Ester Vidal
Paweł Hamerski (X)
Armine Abelyan
Dreams12
Chiara Sodi
Eleonora_P

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two more things Jul 13, 2018

1) No more requests to enter my data anywhere. I'll send you my resume, and you are free to organize my data in your database, but don't ask me to do it for you.

2) No more requests to use your administrative platforms. I have my own system and I issue my own invoices at the end of each month. You are free to create your own documents for your internal purposes, but don't ask me to do it for you.

[Edited at 2018-07-13 10:26 GMT]

Tom in London
Ester Vidal
Rahaf ziad
Chiara Sodi
Jean Lachaud
Erik Freitag

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Indeed Jul 13, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

2) No more requests to use your administrative platforms. I have my own system and I issue my own invoices at the end of each month. You are free to create your own documents for your internal purposes, but don't ask me to do it for you.

I do all my invoicing on the last day of the month. I have to keep a list of all the special requirements of all the different agencies. It's a real PITA but what can yo do?

Josephine Cassar
Angus Stewart
Yaotl Altan
Matheus Chaud
Anthony Teixeira

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not to forget ... Jul 13, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

And when we *do* do them, please have them proofread by someone who knows what they're doing !

... to anonymize the name of the person to be tested in front of the tester (i.e in Word via Properties >> Created by). Sometimes you meet special "friends" of you, knowing you in person long time ago, who like to show their little (or only means of) power they still have left after they changed from a military or engineering career into translations.

Morano El-Kholy
Annamaria Sondrio
Ramon Somoza
Marzena Malakhova

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
English to French
Administrative platforms... Jul 13, 2018

...are great for agencies. It prevents their translators from adding their own terms and conditions on their invoice. Really clever system.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Evija Rimšāne

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
And please, please stop asking for diplomas! Jul 13, 2018

My diplomas are no longer relevant for the simple reason that I’ve been translating for over 40 years and I earned most of them some 50 years ago. Anyway, I think that my diplomas are in a box that I never unpacked when I moved from Brussels to Lisbon three years ago…

Katalin Szilárd
Walter Landesman
Mahmoud Afandy
Vera Schoen
Angie Garbarino
Silke Walter
ahartje

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Hear , hear Jul 13, 2018

and stop asking for test translations when I have already translated texts for your company without any issues and then using it as an excuse to lower your rates so you become 'more competitive'. One agency with a BB entry of 5s did just that but I saw though it as there were no issues and there had never been any when I did translations for them. They just wanted to lower rates and used a test translation as an excuse saying that 'f I did well, I would be preferred' and be at the top of the lis... See more
and stop asking for test translations when I have already translated texts for your company without any issues and then using it as an excuse to lower your rates so you become 'more competitive'. One agency with a BB entry of 5s did just that but I saw though it as there were no issues and there had never been any when I did translations for them. They just wanted to lower rates and used a test translation as an excuse saying that 'f I did well, I would be preferred' and be at the top of the list-yea, the list of those who accept low rates. Besides unrealistic deadlines and formatting. No more!Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Tradupro17
Morano El-Kholy
Mahmoud Afandy
Angus Stewart
neilmac
Vladimir Filipenko

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A closing word Jul 13, 2018

All right, now that we have covered what doesn't work, let's focus on what does work. Here it goes:

1) Outsourcer sends order and payment.
2) Provider sends flawless product and invoice.

That's it. It's called working. Anything else is a waste of valuable talent. Thank you very much for your attention, dear outsourcers.

Katalin Szilárd
P.L.F. Persio
Viviane Marx
Tina Vonhof (X)
Morano El-Kholy
Faustine.Rou (X)
Mahmoud Afandy

Joe Ly Sien
Joe Ly Sien  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:26
Member (2016)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
end client Jul 13, 2018

I think translation projects should be assigned directly from end client to translators, not from agencies, too many problems with agencies so far, agencies can hold up to 35 languages for each project and have very high income that only goes to one person (owner) that doesn't even work as translator, while translators with all their skills, experiences, dedication become their slaves, production machine with low rate, collecting piece of money, I think Proz should start banning bad agencies.... See more
I think translation projects should be assigned directly from end client to translators, not from agencies, too many problems with agencies so far, agencies can hold up to 35 languages for each project and have very high income that only goes to one person (owner) that doesn't even work as translator, while translators with all their skills, experiences, dedication become their slaves, production machine with low rate, collecting piece of money, I think Proz should start banning bad agencies.

[Diedit pada 2018-07-13 14:56 GMT]

[Diedit pada 2018-07-13 15:04 GMT]
Collapse

Tradupro17
Morano El-Kholy
Mahmoud Afandy

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
No begging Jul 13, 2018

No need to beg outsourcers at all. I just don't do tests. When I receive just a request, either I delete it or quote fee for the test.

Tradupro17
Mahmoud Afandy
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Angie Garbarino
Lian Pang
Ramon Somoza

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 18:26
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Re: Jul 13, 2018

It's a shame outsourcers don't realize talented/experienced translators are generally busy and don't have time to complete their random tests and fill their forms.

They're basically ruining any chance of working with the best of our colleagues. To be fair, though, that's rarely their objective. Hungry, docile translators, much better.

Tradupro17
Mahmoud Afandy
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Angie Garbarino
neilmac
Vladimir Filipenko
Viviane Marx

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Online systems Jul 14, 2018

Although I try to be as flexible as possible, but at the end of the day time is money and I generally stay away from clients/projects that ask me to use their online CAT tool, which is usually more time consuming for me than my own as I have all my resources at hand.

Only yesterday an agency asked me to work with a client, who used to use Trados, but now changed to their own system - with an 80 page instruction manual!!

neilmac
Angie Garbarino
ahartje
Ramon Somoza
Marzena Malakhova

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:26
Chinese to English
+ ...
Then turn them down Jul 14, 2018

I have no issue with tests. If you don't want to take them, don't. I have rejected every agency that asked for references.

Dan Lucas
MK2010
Jean Chao

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New Jul 14, 2018

Now they've added a new twist: first they contact me of their own initiative, then when I tell them that I never take tests, they reply that without a test they can't process my application. What application? YOU contacted ME.

To think that there was a time when people knew what the hell they were doing.

Catherine Brix
Katalin Szilárd
Evija Rimšāne
Chiara Sodi
P.L.F. Persio
Ramon Somoza
Marzena Malakhova

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dear outsourcers, I beg you, enough with tests

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »