Fiona Chiappetta
Fiona Chiappetta  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 16, 2017

Hello Everyone,

Don't know if this is the right place to post this question. It is my first time localizing a UK English brochure to US English. Am i supposed to only change words that are not used in the US (ex: tyre for tire, etc.) or am I supposed to change the whole narrative of the paragraphs?
I am using Trados Studio for this project.

Thank you for your help.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Is a lot of work needed? Jul 16, 2017

You're supposed to be localising a good English text, not improving a poor one. I've worked on texts where I feel that the wording of the odd sentence was probably OK in American English but doesn't really sound great in British, so I've rewritten them. Clients have always been happy with the results.

But if you feel that the text just doesn't read well in English (rwgardless of variant), you should report your concerns to the client, giving a few examples, and ask for their advice.
... See more
You're supposed to be localising a good English text, not improving a poor one. I've worked on texts where I feel that the wording of the odd sentence was probably OK in American English but doesn't really sound great in British, so I've rewritten them. Clients have always been happy with the results.

But if you feel that the text just doesn't read well in English (rwgardless of variant), you should report your concerns to the client, giving a few examples, and ask for their advice. It's probably going to take longer and so cost more, and anyway they may prefer to get the original text improved first.

Normally, you'll need to change:
- terms (holidays, sweets, trousers...)
- spellings (localise, centre, fulfil, practise...)
- some verbs forms (learnt, got, dived)
- some verb tenses e.g. British uses the present perfect more
- and more on the grammar/spelling side, plus
- some idioms don't transfer ("going up the wall" is one, I believe)
- punctuation varies quite a bit, particularly when there are citations or direct speech
- weights, measures, temperatures, etc can be a real pain.

I find that the more formal the text is, the less will need to be done. Direct speech needs full real rewriting very often but fortunately I rarely get involved with that.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well done! Jul 16, 2017

Good job, Sheila! As usual, your advice is spot on.

I would add, Fiona, that you could gain some insight by reviewing similar brochures (same domain or topic) in both UK and US English to get a feel of what changes.

What you're doing is more adaptation than localization, though. Outside of the videogame and software industries, the term “localization” is, to me, a bit of a buzzword.

Fiona Chiappetta
Fiona Chiappetta  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both! Jul 16, 2017

It's a really well made text. I would say almost perfect. I really appreciate you taking time to help me.

Best wishes!
Fiona Chiappetta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie, question regarding localization

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »