Why do I suddenly get an error message in MemoQ that there is no working translation memory?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:21
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 12, 2017

Yesterday evening when I was away from the computer for having dinner, something happened with my MemoQ project (which is connected to the customer's server: an online project). The screen was freezed when I came back, and after a while MemoQ closed itself. I restarted and tried to open the same project, but couldn't, only received this error messa... See more
Yesterday evening when I was away from the computer for having dinner, something happened with my MemoQ project (which is connected to the customer's server: an online project). The screen was freezed when I came back, and after a while MemoQ closed itself. I restarted and tried to open the same project, but couldn't, only received this error message each time I tried:

https://www.screencast.com/t/RS3a9EHI

And when I confirmed the error message the file couldn't be opened (MemoQ reverted to the project list with all projects).

So I restarted my computer, but that didn't help either. What did help was to close all reference documents I had opened, and also the project folder (not where MemoQ keeps its files, but where I keep my own reference files).

But after that, I got this new problem:

"There is no working (primary) translation memory attached to the project"

I get above error message when I try to confirm a segment (now I can open the project again and translate and save the file, but I can't confirm the segments into the TM, only get above error message each time I try).

What can have caused this, and what should I do?
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 06:21
Chinese to English
+ ...
Create one Sep 12, 2017

It's one of several dumber things about memoQ. Just create your own translation memory on your local computer.

Alexandra Tarnetskaya

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:21
Korean to German
+ ...
Not sure but Sep 12, 2017

Not sure but I think the problem might be on the client's side.

I once had a situation where I couldn't open the project anymore and MemoQ would freeze (but other projects from other clients still worked fine) and got in touch with the client. They told me they had had a power outage over the weekend and their MemoQ server went down.

I'd say, check with the client to see if there's anything going on on their side.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Again.... memoQ server down Sep 12, 2017

I think I remember that you had this situation in the past: your customer's memoQ server is down. Ask your customer about it! Remember that, when working online, memoQ has two sides: client (your computer) and server (your customer's memoQ server). If any of the two does not work, you cannot work in your project.

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Asked the client, but he said no problems on their side Sep 12, 2017

It was one of the first things I did, to ask my customer because I've experienced this before. But he said they didn't have any issues on their side, and they were not performing any maintenance or anything.

Anyway, it worked fine to check out the project one more time, after that I could resume my work as normal again. Probably the best to do when getting issues with an online project is just to check it out again.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
unhelpful phrase highjacking Sep 12, 2017

I think having dinner away from your screen was a mistake.
You never know what can happen when your computer is hooked onto a server that lives its own life somewhere far away.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:
...Remember that, when working online, ...

...you lose an awful lot of time if you run into connection problems that have nothing to do with you. And this time is not compensated.

You lose hair, your skin goes grey and saggy, your blood pressure increases, your life expectancy decreases.
You have to factor this in when charging customers who demand you to translate online.

Philippe

Malika Lakbiach

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other factors Sep 12, 2017

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
It was one of the first things I did, to ask my customer because I've experienced this before. But he said they didn't have any issues on their side, and they were not performing any maintenance or anything.

Another thing that comes to mind is that the customer (or the customer's server) does not have a fixed IP address or that there have been changes in that sense. Your computer internally tries to find a server that is no longer there.

Indeed, a new checkout is best in this kind of situations. Sometimes it also takes throwing your local copy (from "My computer" in memoQ's server box) to the trash bin, then do the checkout. This way, you get a fully clean copy of everything and, as long as your customer's server is up and running, you can resume your work.

Christian Tuckermann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do I suddenly get an error message in MemoQ that there is no working translation memory?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »