Why is an Internet connection required when working offline?
Thread poster: Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 13:06
German to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2017

Why is an Internet connection required when working offline even though local TMs and TBs are being used? Is there some option that avoids looking for a server?

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:06
German to Turkish
+ ...
Not necessary Oct 7, 2017

Afaik it is not necessary. If the program asks for an internet connection, it may be related to the synchronization setting.
When I work on a server project, I deactivate automatic synchronization and synchronize the project myself regularly.

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Server not accessible Oct 7, 2017

Thanks Elif. Somehow a server setting had been made to Language Environment rather than My Computer.

MoSpa
MoSpa
Germany
English to German
It is not Oct 7, 2017

My MemoQ works just the same whether I am on- or offline. Maybe something in your project settings wants to access online resources?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Checking your memoQ settings Oct 7, 2017

I think that memoQ by default tries to log into a server, especially if you (like me) get a license from a client and you're part of their team of translators. I know for a fact that my client-licensed copy of memoQ (which I keep separate from my own paid license) always checks on a server for recent projects to log me in.

I'd go with what Elif has suggested, among other things.

All great software eventually becomes bloatware.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe also other settings Oct 8, 2017

Other than TMs and TBs, memoQ uses other resources, like LiveDocs corpora the project could be linked to. Check the LiveDocs pane of your project to have a look and, should the project be linked to a corpus, ask the customer whether they can align that and send you a TMX export of the memory.

Also, there are "light resources", i.e. settings that can be stored in the server and your project could be using if it is configured with non-standard settings.

Pay a visit to the
... See more
Other than TMs and TBs, memoQ uses other resources, like LiveDocs corpora the project could be linked to. Check the LiveDocs pane of your project to have a look and, should the project be linked to a corpus, ask the customer whether they can align that and send you a TMX export of the memory.

Also, there are "light resources", i.e. settings that can be stored in the server and your project could be using if it is configured with non-standard settings.

Pay a visit to the Settings area in your proyect and, by clicking the different icons, check that you are not using any settings based on your customer's server. If so, you can try to deselect them and return to memoQ's default settings, or ask your customer to export these lights settings for you so that you can continue using them, but locally by importing the settings locally on your machine.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is an Internet connection required when working offline?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »