Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you work with a laptop or desktop computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Bajram Djambazi
Bajram Djambazi
United States
Local time: 16:44
English to Albanian
+ ...
Desktop; plan for a laptop in the future, as well May 4, 2021

To see the way in which, other colleagues work, is fascinating.
I have a desktop for now, and plan to purchase at least one laptop in the future, as well.

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:44
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Pen and paper? May 4, 2021

Computers lack the warmth of human approach, that's why working with pen and paper only is a great option. When translation is done, you just attach a message to a pigeon's toe and send it (the message, not the toe) to the client.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Muriel Vasconcellos

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How I started May 5, 2021

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:

....working with pen and paper only is a great option....

That was how I started. A long time ago.

P.L.F. Persio
Nikolay Novitskiy

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both at the same time May 5, 2021

I have a desktop and two monitors at the office. But since March 16, 2020, I have been working remotely, using a laptop connected by VPN to the desktop (so I can continue to use MemoQ, which is on the desktop). I have a 23" monitor attached so I still have dual screens, mouse, and external keyboard. I recently purchased an ergonomic Perixxboard-512 which I can use with the laptop and also my personal Mac mini.

I mostly use the remote desktop, except for things that require micro
... See more
I have a desktop and two monitors at the office. But since March 16, 2020, I have been working remotely, using a laptop connected by VPN to the desktop (so I can continue to use MemoQ, which is on the desktop). I have a 23" monitor attached so I still have dual screens, mouse, and external keyboard. I recently purchased an ergonomic Perixxboard-512 which I can use with the laptop and also my personal Mac mini.

I mostly use the remote desktop, except for things that require microphone and camera, because the laptop is a bit slow. They have issued me a new laptop, but I haven´t had time to set it up yet. I should be able to have MemoQ on it, but they have to install it because of admin rights. Once everything is set up on the new laptop, I probably won't have to use the desktop remotely.
Collapse

Sara-Maude D-C (X)
Sara-Maude D-C (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:44
English to French
+ ...
One desktop, one monitor - for lack of better options May 5, 2021

As a student, I work entirely on a desktop with only one monitor.

Once I get more financially stable, I plan to buy another computer - perhaps a gamer laptop - strictly for entertainment. By dividing work space from fun space, I expect to get more work done more quickly, and less procrastination.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:44
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Desktop w mechanical keyboard May 5, 2021

Desktop exclusively. I love my desktop with a gigantic screen that displays up to three documents at a time. I'm a speed typist and invested in a mechanical keyboard. Anything less would slow me down.

While it would be pleasant to work on my laptop on my shaded patio, I go there to take a break from the screen.

Mario Freitas
Nikolay Novitskiy

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:44
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A desktop, of course May 6, 2021

Laptops are not suitable working devices, despite what the users believe. It only becomes suitable when you attach a separate keyboard, a separate video and a separate mouse, that is, when you transform it into a desktop. However, it costs almost twice as much as a desktop and it loses up to 50% of its speed when it heats. So, really, only those who never tried a desktop still work on a laptop.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Duplicate May 6, 2021

[duplicate]

[Edited at 2021-05-06 02:46 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Well… May 6, 2021

Mario Freitas wrote:

Laptops are not suitable working devices, despite what the users believe. It only becomes suitable when you attach a separate keyboard, a separate video and a separate mouse, that is, when you transform it into a desktop. However, it costs almost twice as much as a desktop and it loses up to 50% of its speed when it heats. So, really, only those who never tried a desktop still work on a laptop.

"Users" believe otherwise.

I love these absolutist aphorisms… Not.

Why should everyone fit in the same mold and subscribe to one and only worldview?

"Despite what users believe"? Ridiculous.

Laptop

[Edited at 2021-05-06 03:25 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:44
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 6, 2021

I use a laptop and an All-in-One.
An All-in-One computer combines the display and the computer or the "tower" into one single unit.
I like space and technology and I avoid having lots of wires and cables.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work with a laptop or desktop computer?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »