Macrina Barsoum
Macrina Barsoum  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2021

Hello,

I was just wondering if someone can help me out. I received an email a few days ago from a non-registered user. I was wondering if anyone can help me out or tell me how to proceed?

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Joseph Smith
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 185.216.34.99
Message type: Job-re
... See more
Hello,

I was just wondering if someone can help me out. I received an email a few days ago from a non-registered user. I was wondering if anyone can help me out or tell me how to proceed?

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Joseph Smith
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 185.216.34.99
Message type: Job-related

-----------

Hello,

How are you doing today, hope everything is going as
planned? I would like to know your availability to translate
a document for me from Spanish to English. kindly get back
to me with your availability and let's see what we can work
out.

Thanks

Then, they asked for a link to my PayPal so they can send money to the account.

I forwarded them my Paypal link to get paid and told them an expected delivery time.

Does this sound like a scam?

Please help me!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Scam! Mar 2, 2021

Report it to Proz staff!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ivana Kahle
Yolanda Broad
Tina Vonhof (X)
Michele Fauble
Yaotl Altan

San Sinuon
San Sinuon  Identity Verified
Cambodia
Local time: 15:59
Member (2012)
English to Khmer (Central)
+ ...
Not a problem Mar 2, 2021

Hi, I think you should not worry too much about it. What matters is you should check more info about the client by googling, check if they use a business email address and if so please check their website.

Macrina Barsoum
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 2, 2021

[Edited at 2021-03-02 02:44 GMT]

Wilsonn Perez Reyes

Macrina Barsoum
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Non-registered users scam Mar 2, 2021

San Sinuon wrote:

Hi, I think you should not worry too much about it. What matters is you should check more info about the client by googling, check if they use a business email address and if so please check their website.

Thank you for your help! There were a few things I noticed:
1) The name is a very generic name (Joe Smith)
2) The IP address check out at Vienna, Europe
3) The email is a free email (gmail). Also the handle doesn't match the name, it seems like letters stringed together?

Thank you for your help. I'm kind of new at this, so any help is appreciated!

Kevin Fulton

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
This is a scam Mar 2, 2021

It has all the hallmarks of a scam. Generic message, gmail account with odd handle.
Too bad you provided your PayPal information.
If you have a document, do a Google search of the title and/or first line of the document.

writeaway
Philippe Etienne
Tom in London
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Yolanda Broad
Tina Vonhof (X)

Macrina Barsoum
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Mar 2, 2021

Kevin Fulton wrote:

It has all the hallmarks of a scam. Generic message, gmail account with odd handle.
Too bad you provided your PayPal information.
If you have a document, do a Google search of the title and/or first line of the document.

Thank you Kevin for your help! I tried doing a google search, but nothing really showed up. So that's why I responded. I was a little doubtful about the other things.

I contacted paypal to see what I can do.

Again, thank you for your help!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Macrina Mar 2, 2021

Macrina Barsoum wrote:
1) The name is a very generic name (Joe Smith)
2) The IP address check out at Vienna, Europe
3) The email is a free email (gmail). Also the handle doesn't match the name, it seems like letters stringed together?

I still see no red flags here. Ten or twenty years ago it was still fairly easy to get an account name that looks like a name or a word that you associate with, but millions upon millions of people have joined the internet since, and random-looking e-mail addresses are no longer considered a problem for many people.

It may still be a scam, though. Will you ask for payment in advance? You are a "free" lancer and you are free to require that your clients to pay the money before you start doing the work.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Scam Mar 2, 2021

Macrina Barsoum wrote:
...hope everything is going as
planned?

I bet it's a scam, therefore in your position I would demand half/full payment in advance by bank transfer. I hear payment via Paypal can be cancelled by the client, so it's not a safe means of payment. Besides Kevin's flags, ask yourself why they specifically require your services and not somebody else's: have you been in contact before, are you a rare and perfect match with the subject matter, do you have common acquaintances, did you grow up in the same hometown, did "Joseph" visit your website, etc.

Imagine a stranger approaching you in the street out of the blue who offers you work. You ask to see the banknotes, grab them and tell him/her to meet again in one week at the Bagpipe and Bobcat pub.

You may dig a bit further to make sure. If there is no verifiable company behind "Joseph", I'd just forget it. Don't get impressed with any further threat, intimidation or bullying behaviour.

Philippe

Jessica Noyes

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:59
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Similar to known scams, but not identical Mar 2, 2021

Have you read all the information on current scams in the Scam Centre, Macrina?

A lot depends on the details. One thing you haven't shared is the text you'll be translating. Have you Googled for that? If there's already a version available in the target language, it's most probably a scam. But I for one, like Samuel, think this could go either way -- it isn't definitely a scam.

Philippe's idea of an advance payment through a bank transfer is a good one, IMO. Once it ar
... See more
Have you read all the information on current scams in the Scam Centre, Macrina?

A lot depends on the details. One thing you haven't shared is the text you'll be translating. Have you Googled for that? If there's already a version available in the target language, it's most probably a scam. But I for one, like Samuel, think this could go either way -- it isn't definitely a scam.

Philippe's idea of an advance payment through a bank transfer is a good one, IMO. Once it arrives, you'll be able to check the amount. If it tallies with what you've asked for then you're most likely dealing with a legitimate client. If it's far more then don't even answer -- just contact the bank to get them to cancel the credit.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Thayenga

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Macrina Mar 2, 2021

The document you’re supposed to translate has how many words? This is usually also a red flag as scammers always require a large amount of words.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Never Mar 2, 2021

Macrina Barsoum wrote:

Then, they asked for a link to my PayPal so they can send money to the account.

As a general principle you should never give anyone your payment details until you invoice them for completed work. Your payment details should be on the invoice.

[Edited at 2021-03-02 12:16 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Yolanda Broad
Tina Vonhof (X)
Laurent Di Raimondo
Michele Fauble
Oriana W.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
This is the last thing I would do. Mar 2, 2021

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Macrina Barsoum wrote:
...hope everything is going as
planned?

I bet it's a scam, therefore in your position I would demand half/full payment in advance by bank transfer.

[Philippe

The last thing I would do when I suspect a scam is :
- provide any payment information whatsoever, certainly not Paypal a classic easily accessed payment tool
- solicit any payment in any form whatsoever
- provide my banking information and so facilitate use of my bank details and personal information giving opportunities for the classic overpayment scam

@Macrina: It is almost certainly a scam. For the information you set out yourself.
Anyone wanting a translation needs to know more than vague information about availability :
- from when?
- for how long?
- to translate what type of text?

Things to ask if you are nevertheless tempted to reply:
- business registration number
- address

If these two elements cross-check and you are still tempted, then ask for a copy of the text.
There is a strong chance you will never hear from them again.
A business address may be a real address but not one at which you will be able to find a valid traceable piece of information linking the supposed business of the supposed person having contacted you.

Even those working from home in these pandemic times have some means of providing credible information about who, what, where, when and why.

Last point and another question that should be high on the list :
- why has this person contacted me?
if you were a client, would you offer payment without any information at all about the person you are trusting to work for you?

There are tons of YouTube videos about scams. Many governments have not been taking this type of scam and others very seriously. They are working so massively across the globe and the monies acquired are, in some cases, being used for money-laundering and financing other illegal activity. Not so long ago, the "dark web" was the only place banking information could be accessed. Nowadays, it is (apparently, according to some of the documentaries) not even necessary to go onto the dark web; the ordinary web suffices to track down banking information and ID. It is precious information and to be kept under lock and key to the extent that it is possible. Payment scams of various sorts are enabling certain groups of people to make millions and sometimes putting unsuspecting victims in extreme financial difficulty. These people want fast, easy money. When the authorities come sniffing round, they simply move on.

Consider yourself vulnerable. We all are. Some fairly basic checks can reduce the risk.

[Edited at 2021-03-02 13:46 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Yolanda Broad
Philippe Etienne
Tina Vonhof (X)
Michele Fauble

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
One thing you can do Mar 2, 2021

I suggest you change your PayPal password as a small safety measure.

Yolanda Broad

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non - registered proZ users

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »