Rebecca Ohara
Rebecca Ohara
Sweden
Local time: 20:16
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem :D Sep 24, 2018

Sorry Jean, I had kind of a busy Sunday and a lot of things to do today.
I should have the Sfera tutorials sent to me tomorrow during the day, depending on when my contact can send it.
I will of course mail it to you as soon as I get it!

Enza Pansino
Enza Pansino
Italy
Sfera tutorial Nov 27, 2018

Hi, Rebecca
I know this topic is a bit old, but can I get the tutorial, too?
I gave the Sfera test a try, but I failed...
Thank you in advance.

[Edited at 2018-11-27 16:36 GMT]

Rebecca Ohara
Rebecca Ohara
Sweden
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Enza Jan 8, 2019

Hi Enza,
I don't have access to the tutorials yet but if I do, I will let you know.

Anabel Martínez Villamón
Anabel Martínez Villamón
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sfera tutorial Oct 17, 2019

@Rebecca
Hi Rebecca, I'm in the same situation, not being able to access any tutorials, could you email them to me too?

Bryan De la Hoz
Bryan De la Hoz  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 15:16
English to Spanish
Point me, please. Feb 8, 2020

Thayenga wrote:

Because they said that you've "failed" their test, you're being spared an annoying rat race experience on a site that's down quite often. I know because I gave it a try (yes, having passed their test) for about one week, then I quit. So just walk on. There are other companies working with subtitle translators, and they are good.

I'd like to know which companies are those, please. I'm looking to re-enter the subtitling business and I would love to get into a good company. I think the experience I accrued while working on it should allow me to pass most tests and start working again. My first subtitling job actually came to me, I didn't look for it, so I'm actually not that skilled in looking for jobs.

Would you kindly point me in the right direction, please?

Aïtallah RIAHI
Aïtallah RIAHI  Identity Verified
France
Companies Feb 29, 2020

[quote]Bryan De la Hoz wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Would you kindly point me in the right direction, please?

The two main companies I work with:
- Feature www.featuresubtitling.com
- ZooDigital

Paulo Fernandes
Paulo Fernandes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:16
English to German
+ ...
Not giving feedback is illegal!... May 7, 2021

Hi,
If you make a test, in Europe it is regarded as your personal data. Testers must disclose your mistakes as they do not own your data. You the translator own it! At the end of the Day it is your personal data, like a phone number or an E-mail.
I say this all the time, and it works for me ; )
Good luck!
Paulo

Thayenga
Liisa Gentalen

Calvin Huang
Calvin Huang
China
Local time: 03:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
Current status? Aug 23, 2022

Is the mentioned company still that bad regarding the aspect of subtitling? I took the test and failed, and also got no reply after inquiry. Was thinking about whether or not to give it a second shot while researching the Studios more carefully online, and found this topic and some other juice.

Anyone has any advice to offer, please?

Jackie88888

Rebecca Ohara
Rebecca Ohara
Sweden
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Aug 23, 2022

Hello all, sorry I haven't logged in here in some time.

I managed to pass the test for the company I mentioned earlier, though it was very hectic. I worked for them for a year before I changed clients.

Their rates are really awful and their deadlines nearly impossible although they can give you more time to work on it and just decide not to.
They can also offer up to 300% "rush fees" when no one wants to accept their offers anymore, which shows once again that t
... See more
Hello all, sorry I haven't logged in here in some time.

I managed to pass the test for the company I mentioned earlier, though it was very hectic. I worked for them for a year before I changed clients.

Their rates are really awful and their deadlines nearly impossible although they can give you more time to work on it and just decide not to.
They can also offer up to 300% "rush fees" when no one wants to accept their offers anymore, which shows once again that they can afford to pay us properly, but just refuse to do so. Their strategy is basically spamming everyone with mails until someone responds and takes the job.
I saw this year working for them as training to get used to the industry and learn the subtitling rules, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to work with them in the long run.

Sadly, I heard that the Netflix system isn't getting better either. I never got the chance to take their test as there aren't many posts available for my language, so I can only repeat what I've heard from friends who work for them. It is pretty stressful, the deadlines are really short, the software used to translate online is often unstable and they can decide to kick people out whenever they need to "make some space."

I'm now translating for a TV channel so I don't have online companies to recommend except ZooDigital.
Their rates are pretty good compared to other subtitling companies.

I hope you all found/will find something that suits you eventually.
Subtitling isn't an easy industry to work with, it takes a lot of time to find the right thing for you, but keep going and have faith.
Collapse

Peter Shortall
Dhikra Merrouche

Abby Badong
Abby Badong
Philippines
Local time: 03:16
Korean to English
+ ...
Subtitling Test Mar 22, 2023

Hi! Rebecca Ohara! I read about your experience taking the subtitling qualification test on sferastudios.com. May I know, what are the three levels of Multiple-Choice Tests? Were the tests limited time or timed test? Have you taken the final 1 min video subtitling test which will appear on the Sfera dashboard, after you took the 3 rounds of multiple choice? And do you need to take the tests immediately after your login has been activated?

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
. Mar 22, 2023

[Edited at 2023-03-22 08:33 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling test

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »