Thread poster: Nishan Lakmal
Nishan Lakmal
Nishan Lakmal
Sri Lanka
Local time: 04:39
Sinhala (Sinhalese) to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2018

Hello, I am a full-time in-house Subtitler for a popular International VOD service and I and my team has been working for 2 years now for the company. However, we feel like we are underpaid and would like to get your opinion and input on the rate we should be paid by and to get it increased accordingly.

Country - South Asian

We work with languages -
English > Sinhalese
Sinhalese > English

We work on Titles -
English / Kore
... See more
Hello, I am a full-time in-house Subtitler for a popular International VOD service and I and my team has been working for 2 years now for the company. However, we feel like we are underpaid and would like to get your opinion and input on the rate we should be paid by and to get it increased accordingly.

Country - South Asian

We work with languages -
English > Sinhalese
Sinhalese > English

We work on Titles -
English / Korean / Tamil / Hindi

Sources Provided -
English SRT files and low-quality 200p Video source.

and given how complex the language is we often will have to re-write the subtitles to match the video context to have a better understanding for the end user.
We do QC/Reform/Translation/Sync altogether (Mostly translating only).

-------------------------------

This information is PER subtitler / person .

-------------------------------

Our current avg rates per min are between - 0.10$/min and 0.28$/min ( This number was taken from the set salary we are being paid with )
Monthly rates are between - 120 - 250 USD /month

Work load - 16-20 Content Hours per month. (4/5 Content hours Per week)

Work hours - 9 AM - 6 PM work hours / Sometimes we have to translate 1000line subtitles in that 9 Hr period of time.

Our language is not all that common in this industry and I know most of the rates you are used to, are European/American and we don't have any statistics to go by.
Please do try to give a fair opinion and number so we can relate this information directly and get paid fairly. (Even 1$/min is a lot to us for the work we do)

Please do fill out my survey as this data is crucial to the entire team.

Survey - https://goo.gl/forms/OVWucHccVM2RV1cW2

If you do not like to fill out the survey, please post below the rates and/or comments that you think that is fair for my team.

Behalf of my entire team, Thank you.
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 00:09
English to French
Really? Sep 26, 2018

Nishan Lakmal wrote:
Sometimes we have to translate 1000line subtitles in that 9 Hr period of time.

I won't make any comment on rates, since I don't know the market you work in. (Well, the question one has to ask him/herself is : can I make a living with that where I live?)
But if I'm not mistaken, that means translating and checking (without cueing, I guess) 1.85 subtitle every minute (if you don't take any pause, of course). I wonder how you manage to deliver professional quality that fast (if that's what your employer asks for).

Nishan Lakmal
Nishan Lakmal
Sri Lanka
Local time: 04:39
Sinhala (Sinhalese) to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Oct 1, 2018

Sylvano wrote:

Nishan Lakmal wrote:
Sometimes we have to translate 1000line subtitles in that 9 Hr period of time.

I won't make any comment on rates, since I don't know the market you work in. (Well, the question one has to ask him/herself is : can I make a living with that where I live?)
But if I'm not mistaken, that means translating and checking (without cueing, I guess) 1.85 subtitle every minute (if you don't take any pause, of course). I wonder how you manage to deliver professional quality that fast (if that's what your employer asks for).

The market we work for is mostly Asian.

And yes you would be right in that regard about translating that amount of lines within the given period.

That is my translating rate without any errors and we do have to work for a set number of "work hours" to meet target goals. So not much of a choice in that regard. The quality differs from one editor to the other but averaging 500-600 lines per day is required to meet the target goals. so Top notch professional quality might drop somewhere in-between.

from the feedback I've gotten I am considering 550- 600$ per month given our workload is expected to go higher. I just need the statistics to go along with it so I can pass it up the chain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling rates survey for an In House team

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »