What happened to Légifrance translations?
Thread poster: Emily DiSalle
Emily DiSalle
Emily DiSalle  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:00
Member (2022)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2020

I use Légifrance translations fairly often as a reference. When I went to look something up today, I found that Légifrance has a new website and the translations are nowhere to be found! Luckily I have a few of them downloaded...but does anyone know where to find them now? Thanks.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Yup! Nov 2, 2020

I've tested the new website for a number of months, and I haven't figured that out myself.

Please note that a number of these translations (used to) have little relationship with the actual source text, for reasons ranging to the law having been changed WRT to the source text, to the translation itself being quite awful, and everything in between.

A number of them clearly had obviously been done by unqualified students, and not revised, under the name of one university
... See more
I've tested the new website for a number of months, and I haven't figured that out myself.

Please note that a number of these translations (used to) have little relationship with the actual source text, for reasons ranging to the law having been changed WRT to the source text, to the translation itself being quite awful, and everything in between.

A number of them clearly had obviously been done by unqualified students, and not revised, under the name of one university professor or another signing the translation.

Still, in a nutshell, they could be very useful. I had been hoping that the translation would somehow be incorporated into the final version of the new site.

There is a "Votre avis" red link in the RH margin. I just sent a message about those translations, requesting that they be published again. Wait and see.

Jean Lachaud
Collapse

Emily DiSalle

Emily DiSalle
Emily DiSalle  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2022)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 2, 2020

Yes, I am aware of the points you made. They are still very useful as references despite the fact that they are outdated and sometimes not of great quality. I'd still like to have access to them regardless.

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
send them a message Nov 2, 2020

You could send a message using the "Votre avis" link. It can't hurt.

Jean Lachaud

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
I got an answer Nov 3, 2020

Here, copied and pasted, is the answer I received today:

And, no, it does not meet my expectations!

"Bonjour,

Nous vous remercions pour ce retour.

Ces traductions n’ont en effet pas été reprises.
Votre commentaire est néanmoins transmis aux personnes compétentes.

Nous espérons que cela réponde à vos attentes.

Équipe modernisation Légifrance
Département de l’informati
... See more
Here, copied and pasted, is the answer I received today:

And, no, it does not meet my expectations!

"Bonjour,

Nous vous remercions pour ce retour.

Ces traductions n’ont en effet pas été reprises.
Votre commentaire est néanmoins transmis aux personnes compétentes.

Nous espérons que cela réponde à vos attentes.

Équipe modernisation Légifrance
Département de l’information légale
Sous-direction des systèmes d’information

26, rue Desaix, 75727 Paris Cedex 15
Mél : [email protected]
www.dila.premier-ministre.gouv.fr"
Collapse

Alexandra Scott
Alexandra Scott  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
Try the Wayback Machine Nov 3, 2020

Courtesy archive.org, you can still access some of the content here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200805172809/https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/Traductions/en-English/Legifrance-translations

Holly Hibbert
marlene Le Duc (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happened to Légifrance translations?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »