Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 26, 2018

I have to use WFP 3 again. Is there any shortcut to reach the next untranslated segment? Skip the translated segments in between?

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:00
French to English
+ ...
Right-hand column? Sep 26, 2018

This sounds like one of the advantages WFP3 has over WFP5. At least you have the summary column on the rhs that you can quickly scroll down to go to the segment you want. I know WFP5 has filters that are supposed to replace that function. However, when I've tried using them they don't always work as well.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not so good Sep 26, 2018

I'd rather use a shortcut like in SDL Studio, which will find automatically the next unconfirmed segment, so none is overlooked.

Willem Wunderink
Willem Wunderink
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
unbelievable shortcoming in Wordfast Sep 24, 2022

The absence of this basic function is another proof of the total superiority of MemoQ over a B-actegory tool like WF5.
WF5 simply isn't good enough for professial use.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Untranslated, unconfirmed, do not write to TM or needs translation Sep 25, 2022

Hello,
It is not clear from the different posts in this thread what feature you would like.
Segments in Wordfast Pro now have one of two values in the status column: Needs Translation or Translated.
Segments can also be marked as "Do not write to TM" (this replaced the notion of confirm/unconfirm in Wordfast Pro 3) and is similar to the provisional segment marker of Wordfast Classic.
I assume you want a shortcut key that writes the segment to the TM, marks the segment as
... See more
Hello,
It is not clear from the different posts in this thread what feature you would like.
Segments in Wordfast Pro now have one of two values in the status column: Needs Translation or Translated.
Segments can also be marked as "Do not write to TM" (this replaced the notion of confirm/unconfirm in Wordfast Pro 3) and is similar to the provisional segment marker of Wordfast Classic.
I assume you want a shortcut key that writes the segment to the TM, marks the segment as Translated, and then goes to the next segment whose status is "Needs Translation".
I am also assuming that a file has been sent to you pre-translated by an agency. Segments that are 100% or Context matches should have their status set to Translated. Fuzzy matches and no match segments would have the status Needs Translation.
Would it not be possible to do what you want by enabling "Skip Unedited 100% Matches" and "Skip Unedited Context Matches" in the General Preferences > Segment?
If you are referring to "unconfirmed" or "Do not write to TM" segments and worried about overlooking them, there is a Transcheck for this.
Thanks in advance for confirming that my assumptions are correct and if these solutions work.
John
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:00
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Still no simple shortcut to go to the next untranslated segment. It truly boggles the mind. Sep 26, 2022

Willem Wunderink wrote:

The absence of this basic function is another proof of the total superiority of MemoQ over a B-actegory tool like WF5.
WF5 simply isn't good enough for professial use.

The last time I used WFP5 I was also amazed at the stupidity of not having a simple shortcut to go to the next untranslated segment. It truly boggles the mind.

• memoQ: ✔
• Trados Studio: ✔
• CafeTran: ✔
• Memsource: ✔
• Transit: ✔
• Wordfast Pro: x

boggle

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
FM Sep 27, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:

The last time I used WFP5 I was also amazed at the stupidity of not having a simple shortcut to go to the next untranslated segment. It truly boggles the mind.

Alas, CT has a deviant interpretation of what “untranslated” means: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000066760

Quite tricky, if you ask me.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wordfast Pro = still missing this basic functionality (in 2023) Aug 3, 2023

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello,
I assume you want a shortcut key that writes the segment to the TM, marks the segment as Translated, and then goes to the next segment whose status is "Needs Translation".
I am also assuming that a file has been sent to you pre-translated by an agency. Segments that are 100% or Context matches should have their status set to Translated. Fuzzy matches and no match segments would have the status Needs Translation.
Would it not be possible to do what you want by enabling "Skip Unedited 100% Matches" and "Skip Unedited Context Matches" in the General Preferences > Segment?
If you are referring to "unconfirmed" or "Do not write to TM" segments and worried about overlooking them, there is a Transcheck for this.
Thanks in advance for confirming that my assumptions are correct and if these solutions work.
John

Hi John,

I recently tried the latest version of Wordfast Pro (Wordfast_Pro_8.4.0), and there still doesn't seem to be a shortcut for this.

Indeed, we want something like you described in your post.:

(and which every other CAT tool in the world already has, as it is such basic functionality!)

Incidentally, I'd happily pay for a licence for the latest version if this basic functionality was added!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Agree... Aug 3, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello,
John

Hi John,

I recently tried the latest version of Wordfast Pro (Wordfast_Pro_8.4.0), and there still doesn't seem to be a shortcut for this.

(and which every other CAT tool in the world already has, as it is such basic functionality!)

Incidentally, I'd happily pay for a licence for the latest version if this basic functionality was added!

It's a major PITA!

Wolfgang Schoene
Michael Beijer

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I agree Aug 3, 2023

• W
... See more

Incidentally, I'd happily pay for a licence for the latest version if this basic functionality was added! [/quote]

It's a major PITA! [/quote]

Just one of many WFP8 PITAs. Features that have been asked for ages ago have not been implemented (e. g. multiple segment selection and many more) and unless they are before the expiry of my licence, I will not renew it.

[Edited at 2023-08-03 15:44 GMT]
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Skip locked segments Aug 3, 2023

Hello,

I just heard from developers that locked segments will be skipped in version 8.7.

Since the feature you are requesting could be closely tied, would this meet your needs?

Allow me to elaborate: after a project is created, you or your PM should use "Analyze" to, at the very least:
1. Pre-translate segments using the TM
2. Lock segments with 100% matches from being edited

Once this project setup step is complete, 100% and contex
... See more
Hello,

I just heard from developers that locked segments will be skipped in version 8.7.

Since the feature you are requesting could be closely tied, would this meet your needs?

Allow me to elaborate: after a project is created, you or your PM should use "Analyze" to, at the very least:

Once this project setup step is complete, 100% and context match segments will be marked as "Translated" and locked. They would therefore be skipped when using alt+down.

Best,
John
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
(sort of) close, but no cigar Aug 3, 2023

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello,

Once this project setup step is complete, 100% and context match segments will be marked as "Translated" and locked. They would therefore be skipped when using alt+down.

Best,
John

Thanks for answering John,

It's nice that someone from Wordfast is monitoring this forum!

Sadly, your suggested solution wouldn't be much more than a workaround, and not what we are asking.

All we want is a separate shortcut to:
(1) write the segment to the TM
(2) go to the next unconfirmed segment (or segment with Untranslated status, if that's the correct Wordfast lingo).

Every other CAT tool can do this, it is a really important feature, so I beg you guys to just give us a new shortcut for this very important feature. Or add a user-selectable option for alt+down, to either just go to the next segment, or go to the next untranslated/unconfirmed one. Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would want to NOT skip already finished segments, but if that's what people want that's their decision of course.

CafeTran:
CafeTran

Trados Studio:
Trados Studio

memoQ:
memoQ

[Edited at 2023-08-03 21:02 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
OmegaT Aug 4, 2023

Michael Beijer wrote:

• OmegaT: ✔ / Ctrl+U /

Milan

Michael Beijer

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Indeed, Wordfast Pro is the only CAT tool I know that doesn't yet have this basic functionality. Aug 4, 2023

Milan Condak wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

• OmegaT: ✔ / Ctrl+U /

Milan

Thanks!

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Unconfirmed segment filter Aug 9, 2023

I can't open Pro right now but from memory, I'm pretty sure there is an option in the drop down segment filter to display "unconfirmed segments" only.
This means you will see grouped in the editor only unconfirmed segments and still see your context in the live preview. Anyone tried this?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Go to next unconfirmed segment

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »