jokerman
Germany
Local time: 13:34
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 19, 2015

Dear all,

a client of ours has asked me to provide him with a cost estimate for a translation of an Arabic text into English.
The Arabic text consists of approx. 12.000 charachters (equal to 'letters' in English, not equal to words).

In English approx. 12.000 characters would be approx. 2.200 words (approx. 5.5 characters per word).

Now, could you possibly tell me (perhaps from your experience):

- how many words those 12.000 characters in
... See more
Dear all,

a client of ours has asked me to provide him with a cost estimate for a translation of an Arabic text into English.
The Arabic text consists of approx. 12.000 charachters (equal to 'letters' in English, not equal to words).

In English approx. 12.000 characters would be approx. 2.200 words (approx. 5.5 characters per word).

Now, could you possibly tell me (perhaps from your experience):

- how many words those 12.000 characters in Arabic would be (i.e. how many characters are there approximately/on average in an Arabic word) , and

- what is approximately the ratio between the number of words in an Arabic source text and the number of words in the translated English version? (for example, would an Arabic source text of 1.000 words be approx. 1.200 words in the English target text, or would it be 2.000 oder only 500, or....)

I'd appreciate any answers that might help!

Thanks and bests,
Igor
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 14:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
My experience Apr 20, 2015

My experience in this regards leads to your following result:

Arabic source text of 1.000 words will be approx. 1.200 words in the English target text.

However, that differs based the subject of source and translator's style of writing.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

number of arabic charachters/words vs. number of english words

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »