Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:09
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
Dec 28, 2023

Hello everyone,

I just wondered if a very small (translation) agency has the means to implement and maintain a Quality Management system according to ISO 9001 and ISO 17100.

As a former Quality Manager, Auditor and certification Project Manager, I have my idea, but I would like to get colleagues' opinions.

Next question: If an ISO-certified agency does not meet the regulatory requirements, that means it's cheating clients, what should/could be done?
... See more
Hello everyone,

I just wondered if a very small (translation) agency has the means to implement and maintain a Quality Management system according to ISO 9001 and ISO 17100.

As a former Quality Manager, Auditor and certification Project Manager, I have my idea, but I would like to get colleagues' opinions.

Next question: If an ISO-certified agency does not meet the regulatory requirements, that means it's cheating clients, what should/could be done?

Thank you very much for your contributions.

Kind regards,
Inge
Collapse

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes but why Dec 29, 2023

Speaking as a former certification manager and auditor (not for ISO directly, certain industry-specific schemes, but this certification stuff is more or less based on the basic ISO principles):

I think that you can apply ISO 9001 to any kind of business process, and regardless of a number of employees, so what would be different in your case? I'm not familiar with ISO 17001 but my guess it would be similarly applicable to anything, if it's a 'generic', not an industry/area-specific
... See more
Speaking as a former certification manager and auditor (not for ISO directly, certain industry-specific schemes, but this certification stuff is more or less based on the basic ISO principles):

I think that you can apply ISO 9001 to any kind of business process, and regardless of a number of employees, so what would be different in your case? I'm not familiar with ISO 17001 but my guess it would be similarly applicable to anything, if it's a 'generic', not an industry/area-specific standard. However, I always look suspiciously at agencies boasting of ISO certification because for me it gives the impression that they just don't have anything else to sell. I strongly believe that there's absolutely NO way any kind of ISO (or other, for that matter) certification can guarantee the actual quality of translation. It cannnot and does not.
Wth this in mind, again, I do not see how their not complying with ISO standards can impact the actual quality of their translations, and if it does not, what is the point of 'doing anything' about it? If you still want to be serious about it, you can file a claim to the company and/or their certification body, providing evidence of non-compliance, and then there's a certain claim management procedure that they must have, etc. - you must know about these things. But still, I am missing the whole point of doing this.

[Редактировалось 2023-12-29 11:55 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:09
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're quite right :-) Dec 29, 2023

As I mentioned before, I have been a QM, auditor and certification manager myself, and I know very well how this works:

Before a certification audit, the whole organization gets into a big buzz, putting everything in order for the BIG DAY. Once this is over, everything gets back to normal. This is what happens most of the time. Because, as you say so yourself, it's all about SELLING something. Once a company has its "label", people tend to forget, until the next certification.
... See more
As I mentioned before, I have been a QM, auditor and certification manager myself, and I know very well how this works:

Before a certification audit, the whole organization gets into a big buzz, putting everything in order for the BIG DAY. Once this is over, everything gets back to normal. This is what happens most of the time. Because, as you say so yourself, it's all about SELLING something. Once a company has its "label", people tend to forget, until the next certification.

I don't know much about ISO 17100, I've been into ISO 9001.
The only thing I'm sure of is that a translation must always be checked/reviewed/proofread by a third-part linguist. And I'm also sure that a lot of "certified" agencies don't work in compliance with the relative standards => so, no, certification is not a guarantee for "good" quality.

For the rest, you're right! I was just angry after having had a very bad experience with one of those agencies! But now, I have decided to move on and just "forget" about this misadventure. There is so much more to life than just work! Anyway, I learnt my lesson and will surely be much more careful in the future when choosing new projects.

Kind regards,
Inge
Collapse

Evgeny Sidorenko
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ISO 9001 and 17100 certifications

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »