Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
Čína
Local time: 15:05
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
I think Jan 9, 2013

我认为与 Physical Protection 不同的是 Non-Physical Protection,比如一份防盗保险, or even a poster outside your house saying that insdie is a fierce dog though it's a lie.

wherestip wrote:

Alan,

Good for you. But when you created the original, you probably hadn't fully understood the definition of "physical protection". Typically, it involves more than just an alarm system. Although when it comes to residential burglary, an alarm system is pretty much what constitutes the bulk of the protection. That's why IMO your translation is good, and moreover, acceptable in this instance.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 02:05
čínština -> angličtina
+ ...
"physical protection" Jan 9, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

我认为与 Physical Protection 不同的是 Non-Physical Protection,比如一份防盗保险, or even a poster outside your house saying that insdie is a fierce dog though it's a lie.

That's where your understanding is wrong. The word "physical" in "physical protection" does not refer to the protection device, measure, or implementation, but the physical building itself and its assets within that are supposed to be protected.

Strictly speaking, if we go by one of the definitions previously given, the "physical" aspect actually pertains to the "physical risks" the protected assets(in this case the building and its contents) are subject to ...

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/physical-security

Physical security is the protection of personnel, hardware, programs, networks, and data from physical circumstances and events that could cause serious losses or damage to an enterprise, agency, or institution. This includes protection from fire, natural disasters, burglary, theft, vandalism, and terrorism.

[Edited at 2013-01-10 03:01 GMT]

wherestip
Spojené státy americké
čínština -> angličtina
+ ...
Alan Jan 9, 2013

Please read the 2 links I provided for you. You will understand what I'm saying if you cared to do some reading.

Alan Wang
Čína
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
thanks Jan 9, 2013

wherestip:

Thanks for bearing with me.
After thinking it over again, I believe you are totally right on this matter. I could still come out with the correct translation even if I had misunderstood it. What does this mean?
Luck or simply that I am undefeatable?

[Edited at 2013-01-10 14:49 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
确实不能望文生义 Jan 11, 2013

wherestip wrote:

You will understand what I'm saying if you cared to do some reading.

否则的话,就可能把 "enjoy oneself” 搞成“自我欣赏”。

[Edited at 2013-01-11 07:45 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
请勿对号入座 Jan 11, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

I am sure you know that it does happen that things get mixed up ...

我只是看到 Steve 所言之后有感而发而已,与你有何相干?你何必如此敏感、出言不逊?

我确实已经到了可以无忧无虑地享受退休生活、含饴弄孙的年龄了。你虽然还年轻,但别忘了,你也会老。这是不可抗拒的自然规律。不过,你很不幸地生活在一个极不尊重老人的社会环境中。如果你能活到我这把年纪,到那时还不知是什么状况呢!

wherestip
Spojené státy americké
čínština -> angličtina
+ ...
Enjoying Retirement Jan 12, 2013

ysun wrote:

我确实已经到了可以无忧无虑地享受退休生活、含饴弄孙的年龄了。你虽然还年轻,但别忘了,你也会老。这是不可抗拒的自然规律。不过,你很不幸地生活在一个极不尊重老人的社会环境中。如果你能活到我这把年纪,到那时还不知是什么状况呢!

Yueyin,

Speaking of enjoying oneself, you must have had a wonderful family reunion.

Wait till you get the next SS check. There's a 1.7% COLA increase - small, but better than nothing.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
Enjoying ourselves Jan 12, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

Speaking of enjoying oneself, you must have had a wonderful family reunion.

Wait till you get the next SS check. There's a 1.7% COLA increase - small, but better than nothing.

Steve,

Yes, we had a wonderful family reunion during the Christmas and New Year holidays. It was a great joy to watch all of my grandchildren to play together without having to worry about any melamine-adulterated milk or Mathematical Olympiad programs in elementary schools.

Thank you for telling me about the 1.7% COLA increase. I was not aware of that. So far, I haven’t seen any significant changes in my life since my “retirement” except receiving the monthly retirement benefit checks.

[Edited at 2013-01-13 03:38 GMT]

Alan Wang
Čína
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
said the judge Jan 16, 2013

I am sorry that someone finds it so original as to be offensive.
Actually, the words (“you don’t have to be a senile old goat to be befuddled”) are taken verbatim from the mouth of an old aged judge on a court of law in a movie scene (you can google the text to find it out), and the best part is that he said it somewhat in self-mockery.
Want to stay young? Learn some from that judge, instead of equating your relevance with an overbearing attitude.

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Rita Pang[Call to this topic]
David Lin[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

抛砖引玉 Take your wild guess!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »