Thread poster: Pritam Bhattacharyya
Pritam Bhattacharyya
Pritam Bhattacharyya  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:12
English to Bengali
+ ...
Oct 26, 2010

Almost all of us need a break - to detoxify ourselves as well as to recharge our batteries. I had a break from Calcutta, one of the most densely populated urban spaces and was in a 'village' for a week. Living and working from the village, the following idea struck me and I imagine :

1. Consider a village (means lush green, clear and non-polluted air, birdsong, fruit orchards and kitchen gardens plus broadband and Wi-Fi)

2. Let us consider a space there exclusively mad
... See more
Almost all of us need a break - to detoxify ourselves as well as to recharge our batteries. I had a break from Calcutta, one of the most densely populated urban spaces and was in a 'village' for a week. Living and working from the village, the following idea struck me and I imagine :

1. Consider a village (means lush green, clear and non-polluted air, birdsong, fruit orchards and kitchen gardens plus broadband and Wi-Fi)

2. Let us consider a space there exclusively made for Freelancers with Library, Dictionaries, Glossaries and Long Tables..

3. Let us consider that this is no hotel, no resort. You have a room and a common kitchen. There needs to be a river nearby for fishing or boating as you please

4. Bicycles to move around.

5. Not a hotel or a resort - you translate, read or work in the garden if you please.

6. Meet people, learn, train and be trained.

If such 'idylls' were there - for freelance translator somewhere....

Many would have taken their yearly / half yearly 15 days break in such a location.

I am imagining......
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 18:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Work not play Oct 26, 2010

But if we have wifi facilities and etc., then we won't stop working!

A bit of a busman's holiday too.

Even so, I certainly wouldn't mind going.

Noni

Edited to correct errant capital

[Edited at 2010-10-26 11:19 GMT]

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 18:42
German to Slovenian
+ ...
there are places like this Oct 26, 2010

Hello Pritam,

I live in a place like the one you described just now.

Take a look at this:

Official Travel Guide by Slovenian Tourist Board

Especially places like Bohinj and Bled have almost everything you described.

You have rivers and seas for fishing, mountains and fresh air produced by green forests surrounding you.
... See more
Hello Pritam,

I live in a place like the one you described just now.

Take a look at this:

Official Travel Guide by Slovenian Tourist Board

Especially places like Bohinj and Bled have almost everything you described.

You have rivers and seas for fishing, mountains and fresh air produced by green forests surrounding you.

Internet is accessible from your garden.

Except for the trainings and perhaps dictionaries, but you can access some on the internet, as well as take a webinar at ProZ.com while you are drinking coffee in the garden of course.

At these destinations you can also find many entrepreneurs to interact with and Vienna is just around the corner...

Enjoy...
Collapse

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 17:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
work v holiday Oct 26, 2010

Sounds like a nice place to work, but not a nice place to have a holiday.

I think workplaces of this kind (offering facilities for a variety of different professionals working remotely, not just translators) do seem like an ideal way around the isolation of freelancing, and they certainly exist (a few in this country too).

But when it comes to a break, I need to rest my mind from the whole translation process.

Ricardo Sanchez (X)
Ricardo Sanchez (X)
Ireland
Local time: 17:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
maybe someday Dec 23, 2010

Funny thing,

my flatmate is finishing his degree on architecture and his final project is something similar to what you envisioned. He has designed some kind of studios for rent surrounded by green areas, common leisure spaces, a zen-style library and of course, a powerful broadband. The project focuses on writers and freelance artists such as graphic designers or tranlators.

I am happy to see I won't be the only inhabitant in case the idea gets funding...
See more
Funny thing,

my flatmate is finishing his degree on architecture and his final project is something similar to what you envisioned. He has designed some kind of studios for rent surrounded by green areas, common leisure spaces, a zen-style library and of course, a powerful broadband. The project focuses on writers and freelance artists such as graphic designers or tranlators.

I am happy to see I won't be the only inhabitant in case the idea gets funding
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Imagining a FreelanceVille or Freelancer Resort

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »