International conference "Technologies for translation", Forlì, Italy, October 2009
论题张贴者: Sara Castagnoli
Sara Castagnoli
Sara Castagnoli
Local time: 00:13
English英语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
Aug 4, 2009

Bologna University's Advanced School of Modern Languages for Interpreters and Translators at Forlì (SSLMIT), which this year celebrates its 20th anniversary, is organising an international conference on "Technologies for translation" in collaboration with FederCenTrI and AITI.
It will be held in Forlì, Italy, on 9-10 October 2009.

The conference, which will involve experts in the fields of technical writing, translation and localisation, is open to freelance and in-h
... See more
Bologna University's Advanced School of Modern Languages for Interpreters and Translators at Forlì (SSLMIT), which this year celebrates its 20th anniversary, is organising an international conference on "Technologies for translation" in collaboration with FederCenTrI and AITI.
It will be held in Forlì, Italy, on 9-10 October 2009.

The conference, which will involve experts in the fields of technical writing, translation and localisation, is open to freelance and in-house translators, localisers and technical writers, agency project managers, teachers, researchers and students of translation.

The programme, spread over two days, consists of various lectures and workshops held in Italian and English.

In addition, some of the most important international software houses will present the latest technologies in the field of translation, and a book exhibit will be open during the conference with a selection of works aimed at professionals and students, proposed by Italian and foreign publishers.

Enrolment closes on 25th September 2009. Participants enrolled by 21st August will be offered an "early bird" rate.

For further information about the provisional programme and enrolment, please visit the conference website:

http://tetra.sslmit.unibo.it/
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 23:13
Italian意大利语译成English英语
Technologies Aug 4, 2009

Thank you for this information Sara.

However, I cannot resist commenting on the English title. I know there are very many examples on the internet of the word Technologies, but I have reached a fairly advanced age treating the word Technology as a singular collective noun.

Usage may be changing but I can't help it, to my ear the plural grates.

Sara Castagnoli
Sara Castagnoli
Local time: 00:13
English英语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
主题发起人
Re: Technologies Aug 5, 2009

Russell,

thank you for your comment.

Russell Jones wrote:

However, I cannot resist commenting on the English title. I know there are very many examples on the internet of the word Technologies, but I have reached a fairly advanced age treating the word Technology as a singular collective noun.

Usage may be changing but I can't help it, to my ear the plural grates.

Well, there is more to it than examples on the internet - which we, as translators, have learnt to beware - see e.g.

- "The Oxford Handbook of Information and Communication Technologies", as well as many paper titles in Oxford University Press journals
- the Centre for Applied Research in Educational Technologies, University of Cambridge
- the "Translation Technologies" module offered at the University of Sheffield

... and very many other examples of authoritative usage (yes, even on the Web).

If usage is changing, it is in translators’ best interest to be aware of which variants are more or less tolerated. Research has shown that intuition is not always a good guide - one of the aims of the conference/workshops is precisely to introduce translators to tools which may help overcome their weaknesses...

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 23:13
Italian意大利语译成English英语
Agreed Aug 5, 2009

I can't dispute what you say Sara.
I just think it gets translated too often without awareness of the options.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International conference "Technologies for translation", Forlì, Italy, October 2009

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »