How to import a doc file into MemoQ to proofread it?
Thread poster: Magali Rosales
Magali Rosales
Magali Rosales  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:35
English to Spanish
Nov 7, 2012

Hi! Maybe someone can help me with this:

I have a doc to review or proofread. It's a two-column word file (one column with source and one column with target, arranged side by side). I want to import it into MemoQ to proofread it and I cannot find the proper way...I tried the option "Import/update bilingual" but it says the file is not compatible ("MemoQ does not recognize the file as either Trados-compatible bilingual RTF or as two-column RTF...") although in fact it is a two colum
... See more
Hi! Maybe someone can help me with this:

I have a doc to review or proofread. It's a two-column word file (one column with source and one column with target, arranged side by side). I want to import it into MemoQ to proofread it and I cannot find the proper way...I tried the option "Import/update bilingual" but it says the file is not compatible ("MemoQ does not recognize the file as either Trados-compatible bilingual RTF or as two-column RTF...") although in fact it is a two column RTF file.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!!!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:35
Finnish to French
Two-column RTF Nov 8, 2012

Magali Rosales wrote:
I have a doc to review or proofread. It's a two-column word file (one column with source and one column with target, arranged side by side). I want to import it into MemoQ to proofread it and I cannot find the proper way...I tried the option "Import/update bilingual" but it says the file is not compatible ("MemoQ does not recognize the file as either Trados-compatible bilingual RTF or as two-column RTF...") although in fact it is a two column RTF file.

Export any document you have translated with memoQ to the "two-column RTF" format and you will see the two column-RTF created by memoQ isn't just any RTF with two columns. In fact, it always has at least three columns: one for segment numbers, one for source and one for target. It also has a special identifier on the first line. In other words, you can forget about importing a "two-column RTF" created outside memoQ.

What you could do, however, is transform your two-column RTF into a Trados-compatible bilingual document. You can do this with PlusToyz, which has a function called "Word table to Trados-like segmented text":

You can then import the resulting file into memoQ. After reviewing, you can export it to "two-column RTF", and you will then get a real memoQ two-column RTF (one which has in fact three to five columns).

alexmills
alexmills
United States
Local time: 14:35
Italian to English
+ ...
Create two .rtf files, one with ST only, the other with TT only Nov 8, 2012

Create a new MemoQ project that has the ST.RTF as file to be translated
In the LiveDocs for this new project, add ST and TT .RTFs as alignment pairs: aliogn and save to TM
Now open translation (ST.RTF) and pre-translate (Operations-->Pretranslate)
Hope it works! Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import a doc file into MemoQ to proofread it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »