Châu Nguyễn
Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 15:39
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Aug 3, 2015

Hi, i'm kinda new to MemoQ auto-translation rules.

Could any one help me to write an expression to convert a date string from format 'dd/mm/yyyy' to 'mmmm dd, yyyy'? e.g: 01/01/2014 => January 01, 2014.

I tried the following:
- Since the month would be a number, I created a translation pairs custom list #month# with source is number from 01-12 and target is January-December.

- In the Auto-translation rules I created the following auto-translation rule
... See more
Hi, i'm kinda new to MemoQ auto-translation rules.

Could any one help me to write an expression to convert a date string from format 'dd/mm/yyyy' to 'mmmm dd, yyyy'? e.g: 01/01/2014 => January 01, 2014.

I tried the following:
- Since the month would be a number, I created a translation pairs custom list #month# with source is number from 01-12 and target is January-December.

- In the Auto-translation rules I created the following auto-translation rules: '(\d)/(#month#)/(\d)' and Replace order rules: '$2 $1, $3'.

- The result: 01/01/2014 => 01nuary 01, 2014 | 01/02/2014 => 02bruary 01, 2014.

I wonder why is there always two digit that replace the first 2 characters of the $2. If I put extra spaces in front it would show 01 January 01, 2014 | 02 February 01, 2014.

I appreciate all your help.
Thanks.
Collapse

Manuel Arcedillo
Manuel Arcedillo
Spain
Local time: 10:39
English to Spanish
RegEx needs fixing Aug 3, 2015

Hi,

Try \d+ instead of \d in both instances.

Edit: I now see that these rules behave one way in the preview and another way in the editor. Where are you experiencing this?

[Edited at 2015-08-03 14:58 GMT]

Châu Nguyễn
Vietnam
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did not check in the editor Aug 4, 2015

I only preview my regex. Since it did not turn out as I expected, I did not use it in editor mode. Now that you mentioned it, I will try and see what happened.

I found the solution
To convert from dd/mm/yyyy to mmm dd, yyyy the auto-translation rule should be (\d\d)/(#month#)/(\d\d\d\d) and the replace order rule should be $2 $1, $3.

[Edited at 2015-08-04 02:54 GMT]

More notes:
- There is a different between 1 and 01.
... See more
I only preview my regex. Since it did not turn out as I expected, I did not use it in editor mode. Now that you mentioned it, I will try and see what happened.

I found the solution
To convert from dd/mm/yyyy to mmm dd, yyyy the auto-translation rule should be (\d\d)/(#month#)/(\d\d\d\d) and the replace order rule should be $2 $1, $3.

[Edited at 2015-08-04 02:54 GMT]

More notes:
- There is a different between 1 and 01. So in the above example if you want to translate 1 or 01 into January, You have to create 2 different list items in the Translation pairs. i.e. 1 - January and 01 - January. The same for other months.

- Different translation rules must be set to cover all possible of the date and time format as in my above example.
+ 05/01/1989 : (\d\d)/(#month#)/(\d\d\d\d)
+ 5/1/1989: (\d)/(#month#)/(\d\d\d\d)
+ 5/1/89: (\d)/(#month#)/(\d\d)

[Edited at 2015-08-04 03:29 GMT]
Collapse

Manuel Arcedillo
Manuel Arcedillo
Spain
Local time: 10:39
English to Spanish
If you need something simpler Aug 4, 2015

I'm glad you found a solution. If you want to use just one rule for all cases you mention and similar ones, this should work: (\d+)/(#month#)/(\d+)

Châu Nguyễn
Vietnam
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 4, 2015

Manuel Arcedillo wrote:

I'm glad you found a solution. If you want to use just one rule for all cases you mention and similar ones, this should work: (\d+)/(#month#)/(\d+)

Thank you,

I didn't understand your suggestion at first. I've just read through the documentation and kinda understand it now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 2014 R2 auto-translation rules

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »