Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2010

I have just upgraded to Windows 7 (from Windows Vista), and reloaded my Microsoft Office suite.

Ever since, whenever I open a new Word document, all the normal settings relating to the toolbars and the status bar at the bottom of the screen are not included; all I get is the main menu bar across the top (File, Edit, View, Insert, Format etc), nothing else.

Previously, I used to get (and want) the "Standard" and Format" toolbars, the Wordfast mini-toolbar, and the status
... See more
I have just upgraded to Windows 7 (from Windows Vista), and reloaded my Microsoft Office suite.

Ever since, whenever I open a new Word document, all the normal settings relating to the toolbars and the status bar at the bottom of the screen are not included; all I get is the main menu bar across the top (File, Edit, View, Insert, Format etc), nothing else.

Previously, I used to get (and want) the "Standard" and Format" toolbars, the Wordfast mini-toolbar, and the status bar at the bottom of the Word window, where it tells you what page you are on, what the spellchecking languages and so on.

I have created a template with the "Standard" And "Format" toolbars showing and all the Tools > Options settings the way that I want them. And I saved made that template and made it "read-only". Yet, still, when I open up a new document all I get is basically not much of what I wanted!

Also, the Word window opens in a very small - maybe 8 cm x 8 cm rather than defaulting to whatever I last used as a window size.

It seems to have a mind and will of its own, which is quite irritating... LOL

I have tried searching on Google and here on Proz forums - but it is hard to know what to put in as search criteria for such a knotty problem.

Does anyon know how to fix this please?

Many thanks
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Saved as "normal" template? Mar 15, 2010

When you saved that template, did you make it the basic "normal" template for Word? If not, try that, it might help.

[Edited at 2010-03-15 20:53 GMT]

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, it ist is "normal.dot" Mar 15, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

When you saved that template, did you make it the basic "normal" template for Word? If not, try that, it might help.

Hello Jack, and thank you for your reply... yes, it is saved as "Normal.dot" stored in some obscure Roaming directory or other!

Regards

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft solution (though not necessarily a permanent one) Mar 15, 2010

I found this link, which does seem to have sorted my problem, though whether it survives a re-boot is anyone's guess...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291484

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is useful too Mar 15, 2010

http://word.tips.net/Pages/T000052_Hiding_a_Stubborn_Toolbar.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Word keeps openiing without normal toolbars showing

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »