Christine Biloré
Christine Biloré  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:47
English to French
+ ...
Jan 22, 2006

Hi all,

A client of mine asked me whether I would edit a web sites working directly on the html files.

I think I can do that using Tag Editor though I'm not asked to check a bilingual TTX. Am I right?

Can I just open html files with tag editor and edit the content?

Do I have to create a TM where source and target languages are the same? Is this possible or is there another way?

Thanks for your ideas and comments!

Chr
... See more
Hi all,

A client of mine asked me whether I would edit a web sites working directly on the html files.

I think I can do that using Tag Editor though I'm not asked to check a bilingual TTX. Am I right?

Can I just open html files with tag editor and edit the content?

Do I have to create a TM where source and target languages are the same? Is this possible or is there another way?

Thanks for your ideas and comments!

Christine
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
You can translate it Jan 22, 2006

with TagEditor. But for editing the final translated html you will need a editor.

Editing html files is like editing a DTP file, you can make a lot of damage if you can not work with it.

Rgds

Christine Biloré
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muchas gracias Toledo! Jan 22, 2006

I see....

Then, I'll work on a word version of the files as the client offered this option too.

But I'll have a look at HTML editors, it might be useful to know how to use one.

Thanks!

Christine

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
work around Jan 22, 2006

You could just copy the source into the target fields (i.e. do a source-into-source translation) and edit the text this way. There is an option that will copy the source automatically into the target, so you don't have to do it manually. This option is in the Workbench > TM options > General > Copy source on no match.
After you're done, export the target or just clean up the file.

Christine Biloré
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what I thought... Jan 22, 2006

Hello Heike,

This was in fact my my first idea but are you sure the tags will remained unchanged?

Since Toledo told an editor was needed, I wonder whether using the source-to-source method works all the time.

I guess I'll just test both methods when I have a little more time but thank you very much!

Christine

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
tags are saved Jan 22, 2006

Yes, copying from the source is safe. TagEditor recognizes the tags and keeps them. Moreover, it will present all text which may require translation (visible or not).
You have a "Preview target" function which allows you to check the resulting document.
There should not be much editing for layout, and, anyway, is this part of your work ? Your customer will probably have to make some adjustments himself (like links, keywords, and so on).
I am not sure that going back to Word i
... See more
Yes, copying from the source is safe. TagEditor recognizes the tags and keeps them. Moreover, it will present all text which may require translation (visible or not).
You have a "Preview target" function which allows you to check the resulting document.
There should not be much editing for layout, and, anyway, is this part of your work ? Your customer will probably have to make some adjustments himself (like links, keywords, and so on).
I am not sure that going back to Word is such a good idea... but try both if you don't feel safe.
Collapse

The_eHive
The_eHive  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
German to English
+ ...
The eHive - Free HTML editor Feb 2, 2006

To counter the problems of editing simple HTML in TagEditor (namely not being able to view context or layout) AceBit software has developed an HTML Translator program. The eHive has managed to gain distribution rights to this software and is offering it free to translators.

Go to www.theehive.com to download a copy.

Simon Varley
The
... See more
To counter the problems of editing simple HTML in TagEditor (namely not being able to view context or layout) AceBit software has developed an HTML Translator program. The eHive has managed to gain distribution rights to this software and is offering it free to translators.

Go to www.theehive.com to download a copy.

Simon Varley
The eHive
[email protected]
Collapse

Christine Biloré
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tag editor was ok Feb 2, 2006

I wanted to thank you all. Finally I could use Tag editor for this task and it was ok.

Thank you Simon, I'm going to download a copy of the software you mentionned. it might be useful in a near future.

Thank you very much!

Christine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing webpages with tag editor

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »