English-Russian interpreters in the UK - demand and supply?
Thread poster: Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL
Yulia Tsybysheva BA MSc MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 10, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I was wondering whether any UK-based English-Russian interpreters (especially those with a DPSI) could offer their advice.

Having mostly worked as a freelance translator for the past 7+ years and having moved from Russia to the UK about 3 years ago I've recently started looking at interpreting too. In fact, I did quite a few interpreting assignments early on in my career and had wonderful mentors who encouraged and took me on board, which makes me thin
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I was wondering whether any UK-based English-Russian interpreters (especially those with a DPSI) could offer their advice.

Having mostly worked as a freelance translator for the past 7+ years and having moved from Russia to the UK about 3 years ago I've recently started looking at interpreting too. In fact, I did quite a few interpreting assignments early on in my career and had wonderful mentors who encouraged and took me on board, which makes me think I wasn't a terrible interpreter and it was also somewhat more exciting and rewarding than translating, although I enjoy that too.

I started thinking of taking a DPSI exam (preparing for language exams of all kinds gives me a thrill), but what I'm worried about is that the supply of En-Ru interpreters in the UK might be exceeding the demand (compared to such languages as Lithuanian, Latvian, Polish, for example).

I am not hoping to switch to just doing interpreting - surely the number of assignments won't be enough, so I'm a bit unsure about investing into DPSI. Also, I'm not necessarily striving to translate in court, but I was hoping that having this kind of qualification would boost my rating even for less daunting interpreting jobs.

Another factor - I am based in the South West, where there's no particularly strong Russian community. I used to live in the Midlands, where a friend of mine gets numerous interpreting jobs without any interpreting qualifications.

So, my question is - is it worth it?
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

English-Russian interpreters in the UK - demand and supply?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »