MacOS Monterey support?
Thread poster: Shawn Burke
Shawn Burke
Shawn Burke
Local time: 04:15
Japanese to English
Dec 11, 2021

I've recently upgraded to Big Sur and have had no issues. I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to Monterey? If so, have you noticed any problems?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Staying with El Capitan Dec 11, 2021

Shawn Burke wrote:

I've recently upgraded to Big Sur and have had no issues. I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to Monterey? If so, have you noticed any problems?

For the foreseeable future I'm staying with El Capitan. I've had a look at the later versions of the OS and to me, the changes look merely cosmetic - and a lot of good things have been taken away. Call me a dinosaur, but everything works and I can still run old applications that won't work on anything after El Capitan. I hate the way Apple is going.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:15
Member (2016)
English to German
Yes, no Dec 11, 2021

Shawn Burke wrote:

I have upgraded to Monterey and have no problems related to the upgrade.

Wolfgang Schoene

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
My hardware is too old – says Apple Dec 11, 2021

Apple, the company that lets you pay for extra iCloud space although they have already earned thousands of euros from you, and doesn't allow you to add the iCloud space for every new Apple device that you buy, decided that my extremely powerful iMac Retina from late 2014 ... isn't allowed to update to Monterey.

It's a shame!

Tom in London

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
MacOS Monterey upgrade Dec 11, 2021

Shawn Burke wrote:

Actually, my only concern was if my recording software Cubase 11 would work under Monterey as with almost every new MacOS upgrade recording software becomes obsolete. This was not the case with Monterey (I checked compatibility on my Macbook Pro before installing Monterey on my iMac). I also installed Parallels 17 and upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. No problems at all so far on either OS side.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Yours is newer Dec 11, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

(I checked compatibility on my Macbook Pro before installing Monterey on my iMac).

Your iMac is newer than mine .

I'll wait for the 27" iMac with Apple silicon .

[Edited at 2021-12-11 12:03 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I hate Apple Dec 11, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

Apple, the company that lets you pay for extra iCloud space although they have already earned thousands of euros from you, and doesn't allow you to add the iCloud space for every new Apple device that you buy, decided that my extremely powerful iMac Retina from late 2014 ... isn't allowed to update to Monterey.

It's a shame!

There you go. This is why I hate Apple. I only stay because the alternatives are all worse (Linux fans, please stay away).

Apple disguise profitmaking schemes as "system and/or technology upgrades" that kill previous versions and force you to buy new ones. And then, further on down the line, your new ones will be made obsolete.

I **never**use the Cloud.

[Edited at 2021-12-11 12:41 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Tricky Dec 12, 2021

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

It's a shame!

https://youtu.be/gF89n4TKurs

https://youtu.be/YojqIH9LxDA

However…

https://www.lifewire.com/be-careful-with-macos-monterey-on-older-hardware-5208034

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
MacOS on PC Dec 12, 2021

If someone likes MacOS, but dislikes Apple's policies and available alternatives, they can look for installing MacOS on a PC with compatible hardware (or buying a ready-made box).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks. I know that's possible... Dec 12, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

If someone likes MacOS, but dislikes Apple's policies and available alternatives, they can look for installing MacOS on a PC with compatible hardware (or buying a ready-made box).

...and I've read up how to do it, but it's too nerdy and would probably be too unreliable for everyday use. My computer works for me (not the other way round).

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Tricky Dec 12, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

I wouldn’t be comfortable to use either one if the two solutions for my working computer. If one day an update brakes the hardware compatibility, I’d be in serious troubles.

I’m also very curious about how my CAT tool will work with an Mx chip. I suspect it to be even faster.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Parallels with Trados runs fine Dec 13, 2021

Monterey has a bunch of bad cosmetic UI changes (gradients are back everywhere, it's hard to tell active windows from inactive ones etc).

Parallels 16.1.3 with Trados 2021 runs fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MacOS Monterey support?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »