What do you miss in CafeTran Espresso's project management?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Feb 3, 2023

It would be interesting to hear: What do you miss in CafeTran Espresso's project management?

Please contribute your suggestions, wishes and ideas.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:45
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TM management Feb 3, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

It would be interesting to hear: What do you miss in CafeTran Espresso's project management?

Please contribute your suggestions, wishes and ideas.

Currently I keep all my old CTE project folders as subfolders within a "mother folder" (which I named "CTE Work Files") , and rename each subfolder by either (a) the client's name or (b) the topic. This makes it easier to find them when I need them.

Then, my current routine for a new project is:

1. To start the new project in CTE, I drop the source file into CTE and save the project.
2. I close CTE.
3. I search in "CTE Work Files" for the TM of a previous project that used similar terminology.
4. I drop that old TM into the new CTE project folder, replacing the "virgin" TM that CTE just created.
5. I start up CTE again and open the project I just created. Hey presto, CTE uses the TM I just substituted, giving me access to all the terminology from the old project.
6. As I work, the new project continues adding new terms to the TM, which I can use again in future projects.

The routine described above is something I had to invent. It's pretty messy.

I'd like to know if there could be an easy, more automated way to do this. Or maybe there is but I didn't know about it !

[Edited at 2023-02-03 08:59 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
I'm afraid, not Feb 3, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I'd like to know if there could be an easy, more automated way to do this. Or maybe there is but I didn't know about it !

I'm afraid there is no smarter way (or I must be missing it too ...).

(This is why I posted my question.)

CafeTran Espresso is a tool for the freelance translator and should not be inflated to meet all the needs of project managers working for LSPs. Still, there is room for improvement in project management functions.

I'm happy to post my ideas here, but first let's wait and see what others have to contribute.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Feb 3, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

CafeTran Espresso is a tool for the freelance translator and should not be inflated to meet all the needs of project managers working for LSPs

Yes- that is very important!

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:45
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
My procedure Feb 3, 2023

Well, my routine for creating a new project has always been:
- I open the dashboard, drop the file (or folder in case of multiple files) to be translated onto the dashboard.
- I open the Project options and settings drop down window and select the appropriate template for the project under the Recent Project Template or Open Project Template options, if I have already worked for the same customer in the same field.
Otherwise
- I choose New memory, the glossary of the appr
... See more
Well, my routine for creating a new project has always been:
- I open the dashboard, drop the file (or folder in case of multiple files) to be translated onto the dashboard.
- I open the Project options and settings drop down window and select the appropriate template for the project under the Recent Project Template or Open Project Template options, if I have already worked for the same customer in the same field.
Otherwise
- I choose New memory, the glossary of the appropriate language combo (or New glossary) and the Other resources and services needed.
- Here, finally, I go to Project options and settings and save the new project with an appropriate name in the Save in Project Template section.

Probably you do the same, in that case I probably missed something.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Project Names Feb 7, 2023

What I definitely miss is a way to assign my own project names (e.g. with client's job names/numbers) to SDLPPX and SDLXLIFF projects. You can't change the names of these files without causing problems.

Maybe I can assign my own names to these projects via the name of the subfolder in CafeTran Espresso's project tree?

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:45
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Ah, the projects in CTE!!! Feb 7, 2023

I have temporarily (?) switched to another CAT programme to work on a very large project comprising dozens of sdlxliff files, discovering, if ever there was a need, how nice it is, after having repeatedly left this project to do other small jobs even in different languages, reopening it and find it in exactly the same condition (mainly memories and glossaries).

This is what I miss most when working with CTE: a more rational and precise management of projects (and templates!)
<
... See more
I have temporarily (?) switched to another CAT programme to work on a very large project comprising dozens of sdlxliff files, discovering, if ever there was a need, how nice it is, after having repeatedly left this project to do other small jobs even in different languages, reopening it and find it in exactly the same condition (mainly memories and glossaries).

This is what I miss most when working with CTE: a more rational and precise management of projects (and templates!)

Other things I do miss, but you haven't asked about other things, right?

[Edited at 2023-02-07 09:20 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Feb 7, 2023

Mario Cerutti wrote:

I have temporarily (?) switched to another CAT programme to work on a very large project comprising dozens of sdlxliff files, discovering, if ever there was a need, how nice it is, after having repeatedly left this project to do other small jobs even in different languages, to reopen it and find it in exactly the same condition (mainly memories and glossaries).

This is what I miss most when working with CTE: a rational and precise management of projects (and models)

Other things I do miss, but you haven't asked about other things, right?

Exactly that! That when a client comes back after a month on a very urgent project (at that time) and I need to make some changes in terminology, that I know that CON-78z-BK1-Trf-expan is the project I need to change. This currently causes a lot of unnecessary stress.

Besides the problems I am experiencing with the difficult identification of projects, the project templates constantly lose resources (such as glossaries and memories) when you switch between them. At least on my work computer.

Das trübt die Freude etwas ...

[Edited at 2023-02-07 08:39 GMT]

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
But, is somebody listening? Feb 7, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

To give you more joy while using CTE, I mean.

This morning a client called me to add a few sentences to a translation that I did a few months ago. Some technical terms were added, and some other terms modified. The fact is, I couldn't remember exactly what resources I had used to do the original translation, and the client's template didn't help me.

[Edited at 2023-02-07 23:11 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:45
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
That's the reason why ... Feb 8, 2023

Mario Cerutti wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

To give you more joy while using CTE, I mean.

This morning a client called me to add a few sentences to a translation that I did a few months ago. Some technical terms were added, and some other terms modified. The fact is, I couldn't remember exactly what resources I had used to do the original translation, and the client's template didn't help me.

[Edited at 2023-02-07 23:11 GMT]

...on my Excel sheet where I record all the jobs of the month the last column is "CAT tool used". So for all my jobs I record the tool(s) I have used as I had the same problem you mention here.

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Yet another manual step? Feb 8, 2023

Wolfgang wrote:
...on my Excel sheet where I record all the jobs of the month the last column is "CAT tool used". So for all my jobs I record the tool(s) I have used as I had the same problem you mention here.

Wouldn't it be nicer if CTE did this for you? On the other hand, CAT tools are supposed to make our work faster and possibly reduce the risk of errors.

Really, in my opinion CTE needs a better and consistent project/template management, especially for those who work with more than one source language.

I'm not a programmer and what I say may seem nonsense, but I guess that project data could be arranged in a sort of database that each time the CAT tool reads in order to pick up all resources used initially. Is it perhaps too late now to implement this in CTE? Only the developer can tell.

[Edited at 2023-02-08 23:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-02-09 01:34 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Database Feb 9, 2023

Wolfgang wrote:

Sounds like CafeTran needs a database solution to store all projects and their resources. And a master template with date and name placeholders etc. And a feature to create folders and subfolders, using placeholders too.

Let’s wait for a response from the development department.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
My own solution Feb 20, 2023

What I miss in CafeTran Espresso regarding project creation and management, is the ability to easily create resources (glossaries, memories) for new end clients, to move existing resources (client-specific Hunspell user.dic files) to new projects for an existing end client and to assign a meaningful name to the end client's Trados packages.

Since I started this thread I have read that a feature to handle the latter task will not be added to CafeTran Espresso. It is also unlikely tha
... See more
What I miss in CafeTran Espresso regarding project creation and management, is the ability to easily create resources (glossaries, memories) for new end clients, to move existing resources (client-specific Hunspell user.dic files) to new projects for an existing end client and to assign a meaningful name to the end client's Trados packages.

Since I started this thread I have read that a feature to handle the latter task will not be added to CafeTran Espresso. It is also unlikely that the other tasks will be handled by CafeTran Espresso.

Perhaps my requirements are too specific? Anyway, I decided to add the project creation functions via a macro.

First, I select a Trados package on the Desktop, then run the macro:

I select an existing end client or add a new one:

In the next step, I can add the client's job number or other relevant info that helps me identify the project in case I have to work on it again after several months:

Then the project folder is created in the end client subfolder. Any existing user.dic file is also placed in that folder (not visible in the image below because it is a new end client):

If you are interested in this macro, please contact me via email.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Another thing that would be useful Feb 20, 2023

It would be helpful if in a document that includes footnotes, the footnotes could be segmented at the foot of the page to which they refer rather than - as at present - all together at the end.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you miss in CafeTran Espresso's project management?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »