William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 17:38
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Acer 7730G Sep 21, 2008

I have recently bought this model, and so far I have been very pleased with it. Just remember that 17in models weigh a lot (4kg)! The battery (8 cell as opposed to 6) has shown an opening reading of over 4 hours, and in practice has given me well over 2 hours working time. I received it with 4GB ram installed.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You wanna spend a lot of money... Sep 21, 2008

2. a Solid State Drive

Such drives do cos much more than conventional HDDs. A Solid State disk with 64 GB memory (and this is not much) comes about 800 Euros in Germany. A conventional HDD with 250 GB comes about 80 Euro...

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:38
Spanish
+ ...
What Notebook Should I Buy? Sep 21, 2008

There is a website where you can specify what you need, and "the experts" will give you a lot of suggestions. What Notebook Should I Buy?. Good luck.

Claudia

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:38
English to Russian
+ ...
OCZ Technology Sep 21, 2008

Might have an interesting offer on Solid State Drives.
They also have a do-it-yourself laptop kit that matches your spec perfectly.
(this is not an advertising etc. - no links included)

A properly configured Dell XPS M1530 could be a good out-of-the-box solution. Your specs, T9500 processor and 128 GB SSD - just slightly more than USD 3000.

[Редактировалось 2008-09-21 22:10]

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
hp elitebook 6930p Sep 22, 2008

12-cell battery (up to 24 hrs.), 80gb ssd, etc.
14.1" display, though.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why...? Sep 23, 2008

jelly_gill wrote:
1. A long battery life

I tend to trust not claims of long battery life, but depend rather on spare batteries or battery extensions.

2. a Solid State Drive

I'm just interested to know why you want to have a solid state drive? I don't see how solid state drives can have any advantages over normal drives for translators.

3. Intel Centrion 2 Technology

I assume you mean Centrino. Again, not a bad choice, but I wonder why specifically Intel and why specifically Centrino. The folks who worry about the specific processor are usually game developers and graphic designers who need to squeeze every last bit of processing power from their laptops. For Joe Public, I wonder how much it truly matters.

[Edited at 2008-09-23 06:12]

Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:08
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it all leads to increased battery life Sep 23, 2008

dear samuel...

I travel a lot. Not all trains in India provide recharge facilities for laptop charging and too top it all, my journy usually is never less than 48 hours.

I board the train with my toshiba laptop fully charged, but battery runs out after 2.5 hours. So for the next two days in train, though i m fully free to do any jobs, I cant do so because there is no power left in the laptop.

1. So, a longer battery life is what i m searching for.
... See more
dear samuel...

I travel a lot. Not all trains in India provide recharge facilities for laptop charging and too top it all, my journy usually is never less than 48 hours.

I board the train with my toshiba laptop fully charged, but battery runs out after 2.5 hours. So for the next two days in train, though i m fully free to do any jobs, I cant do so because there is no power left in the laptop.

1. So, a longer battery life is what i m searching for.

2. Solid state drives are noiseless, produce allmost no heat (so it is easy to keep your laptop at your lap for longer duration) , make the laptop lighter (they carry less weight) and consume very less power thus further increasing the battery life.

3. Centrino 2 technology uses a new processor, which consumes less power and produces less heat than previous ones. Hence the choice.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for a new laptop

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »