Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:35
English to French
+ ...
Dec 14, 2008

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop both to have twoo sceens and to be able to work when travelling.

I asked a technician for help, but the one I trust is not available.

What I need to know is how to set up my new comptuer so it has all the applications and files I need (except what I don't want : games, etc.)

and how to go about using the router to set up the second computer so that my internet server can be reached (apart from doing it the way I
... See more
Hi,

I just bought a new laptop both to have twoo sceens and to be able to work when travelling.

I asked a technician for help, but the one I trust is not available.

What I need to know is how to set up my new comptuer so it has all the applications and files I need (except what I don't want : games, etc.)

and how to go about using the router to set up the second computer so that my internet server can be reached (apart from doing it the way I do it from another person's computer i.e. entering the server directly with password etc.)

I know it is a big question and might require a long answer, but a link to a resource might suffice. To start, at least.

I am self-taught and aging, so please, be aware a lot of patience might be required as I DO shamelessly ask stupid questions and don't always catch first time ...:roll:

Thank you

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-14 14:35 GMT]
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 20:35
... Dec 14, 2008

I assume the other computer is a desktop computer that plugs directly into the modem, right?
What operating systems are you using?
I would suggest that you create a home network and share the folders of you desktop with your laptop. The applications you need to install separately on your laptop.

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Don't worry Dec 14, 2008

Hi Odette.

Find a student in your neighborhood and he will fix all that in a few minutes.

La vie est belle, Odette, no time to worry about stupid router particularities.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:35
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Thread moved... Dec 14, 2008

... to Hardware forum.

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great minds think Dec 14, 2008

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

Hi Odette.

Find a student in your neighborhood and he will fix all that in a few minutes.

La vie est belle, Odette, no time to worry about stupid router particularities.

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oups Dec 14, 2008

Alike ....
I don't know what I did, first page of the message flew away like the devil was after it ... so here is the continued

The student was my first thought, however the one I contacted left me a cell number but never replied to my call and subsequent e-mail.

I thought I would show what a big girl I am and do it myself ...After all, an independant worker
should be just that, but I am beginning to feel like I am running behind my times ...
... See more
Alike ....
I don't know what I did, first page of the message flew away like the devil was after it ... so here is the continued

The student was my first thought, however the one I contacted left me a cell number but never replied to my call and subsequent e-mail.

I thought I would show what a big girl I am and do it myself ...After all, an independant worker
should be just that, but I am beginning to feel like I am running behind my times ...

I guess you are right ... I should call a student, but they are so quick and impatient, I can't always follow when they explain ...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

La vie est belle, en effet, especially now with the icy branches glittering when the sun is so good as to come out !

Merci de ce super soutien sans support !

Ode
Collapse

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Applications Dec 14, 2008

Lutz Molderings wrote:

...create a home network ... The applications you need to install separately on your laptop.

Hi Lutz,

Yes, you assume correctly.

And you gave me a precious answer about the applications. I was wondering if I could install some of the ones I don't have a CD for through some sort of home network.

Thank you so much for your time
Ode

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Nope. Dec 15, 2008

Even with a home network, you still need to install an application on your laptop. You don't necessarily need the CDs, depending on the application, you can also download them from the macufacturer's website.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Second computer: problems when connecting with laptop and router

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »