Thread poster: Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:18
German to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 18, 2002

(Mats, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section. Is it all right to post apologies here? If not, please let us know.)

A few weeks ago some of us expressed our concern about a bid kidszip.com had sent to get translators for their children tales.

The tests we were sent (whole tales) were highly suspicious and so were their payment methods if you were lucky to get the job(royalties).

I had nothing to lose so I did the test and
... See more
(Mats, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section. Is it all right to post apologies here? If not, please let us know.)

A few weeks ago some of us expressed our concern about a bid kidszip.com had sent to get translators for their children tales.

The tests we were sent (whole tales) were highly suspicious and so were their payment methods if you were lucky to get the job(royalties).

I had nothing to lose so I did the test and after a few weeks without news I sent a rather rude e-mail saying: \"I am beginning to think that the rumours that this is a scam to get translations for free is true\".

I then got a large e-mail in response. I quote one of the paragraphs:

\"No, we’re not on the market to ‘exploit’ or ‘use’ people, our goal is to help people (especially kids) and develop long term relationships with translators who are motivated by working for a children’s literature website that is working to benefit kids everywhere! Last week I received a visit by one of our newly signed Portuguese Translators who mentioned that she had participated in on-line debates around our remuneration structure and challenging comments regarding our “credibility” and our objectives. Whilst this is normal on the web, that pessimists are afraid of moving forward in case it’s a scam (and then try to put everyone else off before they’ve got proven data), the optimists are the individuals that are willing to move to the next step and just “see”. It’s always a good idea to do as you have done, and attempt to get to the truth.\"

I am signing a contract with them today and guess what: they are also paying for the test I did!

I think sometimes it\'s worth taking risks (and having your say!)
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Apologies to kidszip.com

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »