The Proz.com Hall of Fame - Why only six entries?
Thread poster: Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:28
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2012

The Hall of Fame lives an all too quiet existence at the bottom of a menu!

http://www.proz.com/hall-of-fame

What about nominating some more members and asking staff, where appropriate, to fill in the gaps?

Just to start with, could someone please write a few lines about the Site Founder, Henry Dotterer?

I was inspired when I met him in Warsaw, an
... See more
The Hall of Fame lives an all too quiet existence at the bottom of a menu!

http://www.proz.com/hall-of-fame

What about nominating some more members and asking staff, where appropriate, to fill in the gaps?

Just to start with, could someone please write a few lines about the Site Founder, Henry Dotterer?

I was inspired when I met him in Warsaw, and I am sure lots of site users would like to know how he tried out an idea, modified it, saved up money and spent his savings on what was then a decidedly risky project. At that time people like me thought the Internet was just the world's biggest graffiti wall. No one could know what a success Proz.com would become, or whether it would simply disappear again like so many other experiments.

Henry saw its potential and had the vision to grasp it and fill it out. He had the persistence to keep trying, listen to members, and keep adapting the site to the changes.
Thank you, Henry!

There are many more who should be mentioned, but here are a random handful:

The first Moderator, Yolanda Broad
Others know her better than me, but she too has my deep respect.

Jason Grimes

Many other Moderators who helped to form the site and develop the rules:

Parrot

Ralf Lemster

Natalie

Please add more, and tell us why!

Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I second your proposal Aug 7, 2012

I agree,

Regarding my experience which dates 2003 I'd add:

Henry, Jason Grims, Yolanda Broad, Natalie, Giuliana Buscaglione, Nancy Linn, Parrot, Ralf Lemster, Enrique, the long standing Dutch Mod (I forgot the name sorry), Jerzy, (the trados expert).

All those people along with Angela Arnone who was indicated already in the Hall of Fame, were very helpful for me.

Yes I strongly agree Christine

Yes. Thank you Henry! You allowed
... See more
I agree,

Regarding my experience which dates 2003 I'd add:

Henry, Jason Grims, Yolanda Broad, Natalie, Giuliana Buscaglione, Nancy Linn, Parrot, Ralf Lemster, Enrique, the long standing Dutch Mod (I forgot the name sorry), Jerzy, (the trados expert).

All those people along with Angela Arnone who was indicated already in the Hall of Fame, were very helpful for me.

Yes I strongly agree Christine

Yes. Thank you Henry! You allowed me to build a global career.

[Edited at 2012-08-07 14:35 GMT]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Henry the founder Aug 7, 2012

Christine Andersen wrote:

I was inspired when I met him in Warsaw, and I am sure lots of site users would like to know how he tried out an idea, modified it, saved up money and spent his savings on what was then a decidedly risky project. At that time people like me thought the Internet was just the world's biggest graffiti wall. No one could know what a success Proz.com would become, or whether it would simply disappear again like so many other experiments.

Henry saw its potential and had the vision to grasp it and fill it out. He had the persistence to keep trying, listen to members, and keep adapting the site to the changes.

I venture to offer what I wrote for the 10 year jubilee confrence at Ohrid, Macedonia in 2009:
"The ProZ.com saga": http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/2585/
My text tries to cover some of your questions but not all.
I wrote what I wrote on my own as a jubilee tribute to Henry's fantastic creation and I only asked him to check the text for factual errors.
I would also like to hear more about the chain of events and decisions that led to ProZ.com becoming the shining star of the translation world, but I guess Henry is too busy developing the site into a more prominent position than it already has.

Best

Mats

[Edited at 2012-08-07 15:35 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Henry the founder Aug 28, 2012

Christine Andersen wrote

Very very true, so could we please see at least Henry Dotterer in the Hall of Fame? Please...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

The Proz.com Hall of Fame - Why only six entries?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »