Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Off topic: What is the funniest mistake you have come across when proofreading?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:30
English to German
+ ...
hot dogs Jun 24, 2009

'hot dogs' was translated with 'heiße Hunde'. Gave me a good laugh at midnight!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very long shoe laces Jun 24, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
- Su hija está embarazada, y es por mi culpa- he said to the astonished parents. (Your daugther is pregnant, and that's my fault). In fact, he wanted to say: "She is embarrased".

This reminds me of one my sister-in-law's early shopping days when she had just arrived to Spain and her command of Spanish was not that good (she speaks an outstanding Spanish today). The laces ("cordones") of some boots were broken and she went to this ancient string and rope shop in Guadalajara (does not exist today unfortunately) and she asked:

- "Necesito unos CONDONES muuuy largos." (Please, I need looong condoms!)

Not an editing typo either, but I thought you'd enjoy the story the same way my sister-in-law and all of us enjoy it every now and then. We never get tired of hearing it.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Funny Jun 24, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
- Su hija está embarazada, y es por mi culpa- he said to the astonished parents. (Your daugther is pregnant, and that's my fault). In fact, he wanted to say: "She is embarrased".

This reminds me of one my sister-in-law's early shopping days when she had just arrived to Spain and her command of Spanish was not that good (she speaks an outstanding Spanish today). The laces ("cordones") of some boots were broken and she went to this ancient string and rope shop in Guadalajara (does not exist today unfortunately) and she asked:

- "Necesito unos CONDONES muuuy largos." (Please, I need looong condoms!)

Not an editing typo either, but I thought you'd enjoy the story the same way my sister-in-law and all of us enjoy it every now and then. We never get tired of hearing it.

Ha ha ha, funny indeed.

There was this Indian guy who spoke bad English while I worked at UN. One of his common mistakes was that he kept saying " yourselves" instead of " yourself" for singular. For example, he'd say to somebody " you should look after yourselves".. one time, an English colleague responded to this with:

" I don't think there is more than one "self" here unless I have developed schizophrenia"

trad500
trad500
Local time: 21:30
English to French
In subtitles Jun 24, 2009

I was doing a QC on a movie subtitles... the translator obviously hadn't bothered watching the video.

Amongst my favourites in that single film:

"Mayday, Mayday" as a plane was crashing, translated as "Mai 68, Mai 68" (May 68 or the student uprising in France)
"Sweat factory" translated "usine a sueur" - ie, a very literal translation... not very tempting...

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Revolutionary thoughts? Jun 24, 2009

Marie Leca wrote:

"Mayday, Mayday" as a plane was crashing, translated as "Mai 68, Mai 68" (May 68 or the student uprising in France)
"Sweat factory" translated "usine a sueur" - ie, a very literal translation... not very tempting...

This happens when one puts too much of personal thoughts into a translation.

Laurent

[Edited at 2009-06-24 16:32 GMT]

Tom Ellett (X)
Tom Ellett (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Norwegian to English
+ ...
The funniest mistake I've come across... Jul 8, 2009

...would have to be this, from a Swedish tourist brochure "translated" into English:

"At the beginning of the 16th century a rifle company was built to supply the Swedish Airforce."

Wow! Technologically advanced, those medieval Swedes Needless to say, the text had to be retranslated from scratch.

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:00
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Ball Jul 16, 2009

A ball was translated as a bol (means a 'syllable' in Gujarati), this transformed a psychological test into an unimaginable mess...rather an etiology instead of a diagnosis

Bee Vang
Bee Vang
United States
Local time: 15:30
English to Hmong
+ ...
Classic case of "you get what you pay for" Jul 16, 2009

A translator wrote, "yawning is a good thing during playtime" and the text was actually, "yarn is good item for playtime". This translator probably didn't know enough to differentiate yarn from yawn.

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
Well, not from a text, but in a shop - still funny though! Jul 16, 2009

A well-known fruit and veg chain in Rio de Janeiro has the following product (among other gems - I really must take photos!!):

"blond in powder" (louro em pó - ground bayleaf or bayleaf powder).

This had me laughing for ages...

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Blond in powder/ what an image Jul 16, 2009

Phillippa Bennett wrote:

"blond in powder" ..

This is a great one.

If you plan to take photos, you may follow this link and earn prizes in a competition:

http://www.spoton.de/fun-games/you-can-win/give-aways/the-best-of-bad-english

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
on farting ghosts... Jul 17, 2009

Michele Johnson wrote:

Of course it's from the German "In xxxx atmen wir den Geist Goethes", meaning xxxx is characterized by the spirit of Goethe, but literally: In xxx we breathe the ghost of Goethe. In fact I didn't even know the meaning of the actual German phrase, so I wondered how it would be to breathe the ghost of Goethe. I figured it smelled like old farts, and that's become the inadvertent metaphor for farting in our house: "Hey, is that the ghost of Goethe I detect?"

This one made me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing it, Michele!

Claudia Mi
Claudia Mi
English to Italian
+ ...
Me too!! Nov 21, 2011

Karen Stokes wrote:

I once "proofread" a menu featuring a fine range of fish dishes including a "pavé de loup" (bass) translated as a "thick wolf roast".

I must say we've always found nice intelligent wolves to be much tastier...

Best,

Karen

Me too! I'm proofreading a text and I've just found "pavé de loup" = "tender wolf steak"...

best wishes

Claudia

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 23:30
Turkish to English
+ ...
Very interesting word ( and bird ) :) Nov 24, 2011

The poultry bird Meleagris in English is turkey, in Turkish it is called hindi (from India) and in Brazilian Portuguese it is peru. I wonder which words are used for this bird in India and Peru

[Edited at 2011-11-24 14:15 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
What a mess! Nov 24, 2011

TurkishEnglishTranslator.com "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh" wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
The poultry bird Meleagris in English is turkey, in Turkish it is called hindi (from India) and in Brazilian Portuguese it is peru. I wonder which words are used for this bird in India and Peru

No way!

I wrote...

In Portuguese (Brazilian - accents omitted on account of some systems):
Turkey (the country) = Turquia
turkey (the bird) = peru
Peru (the country) = Peru
peru (teens' slang) = the male sexual organ
(something/someone is...) do peru! (slang) = very good, very bad, or very inconvenient - depending on context

The female (bird), "perua" has its troubles too.
It may mean the bird itself, but also a station-wagon, a van, VW Kombi, etc.
However in slang it may mean a bizarrely overdressed-for-the-occasion woman, with excessive make-up, flamboyant.

Invent your jokes!

My knowledge of Turkish is not sufficient to wet a teaspoon, much less to fill one. All I know is that it uses a lot of Ç, though I don't even know if it should sound like SS, as in PT and FR.

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 23:30
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yeah sorry Nov 24, 2011

No way!

I wrote...

In Portuguese (Brazilian - accents omitted on account of some systems):

My knowledge of Turkish is not sufficient to wet a teaspoon, much less to fill one. All I know is that it uses a lot of Ç, though I don't even know if it should sound like SS, as in PT and FR.

I corrected the mistake
ç sounds like ch in chair
ş sh of shoe

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the funniest mistake you have come across when proofreading?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »