Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Had it not been foolish, how would you respond?
Thread poster: Alaa Zeineldine
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Mister, Doctor, Professor... Oct 28, 2009

The e-mail address I have published on my web site is not my primary one. I check it via webmail, and bulk-delete all the spam from a list. A most common spam identifier is when the sender is not simply 'John Doe', but Mr. John Doe, Mrs. Jane Doe, Dr. John Doe, Professor ... See more
The e-mail address I have published on my web site is not my primary one. I check it via webmail, and bulk-delete all the spam from a list. A most common spam identifier is when the sender is not simply 'John Doe', but Mr. John Doe, Mrs. Jane Doe, Dr. John Doe, Professor John Doe, or Attorney John Doe. It never fails.

Their usual message begins like this:
"My name is Solicitor John Doe."

I feel tempted to write them:
Dear Solicitor,
As we will be sharing so much money, we might as well be friends. Do your friends call you 'Sol'? Do you mind if I do?

It always makes me wonder who took the trouble to advise them all that they would be taken seriously by simply adding these titles to their names.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:55
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Free USD bearer bonds Oct 28, 2009

I once contacted the RCMP about these Nigerian (or elsewhere) scams, and asked the officer if I should forward it to them. His response was to "please, please, please don't send them to us - we've already got millions of them"!

All they want is the hundred dollars or two of "fees", then you will never hear from them again. A recent one was "The $50,000 of USD bearer bonds you requested are ready to ship. Please forward $250 to cover DHL costs." Emailed to "undisclosed recipients
... See more
I once contacted the RCMP about these Nigerian (or elsewhere) scams, and asked the officer if I should forward it to them. His response was to "please, please, please don't send them to us - we've already got millions of them"!

All they want is the hundred dollars or two of "fees", then you will never hear from them again. A recent one was "The $50,000 of USD bearer bonds you requested are ready to ship. Please forward $250 to cover DHL costs." Emailed to "undisclosed recipients"? Did anyone out there order USD bearer bonds from Nigeria?

The amazing thing is that from reports, there are actually some people who fall for these things.

[Edited at 2009-10-28 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:55
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Making sure Oct 28, 2009

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

It was a little surprising to me that some of us have, in fact, deliberately responded to spam or contacted scammers. It is generally inadvisable to do so.

Since I am the one who started this thread, I must stress that spam and scams should be ignored or reported to organizations that deal with them. This thread is not meant to encourage responding to spam in any way.

I wasn't encouraging I was just scamming the spammer as it got infuriating to receive those messages !

I am sure you were not, Mohamed. I just wanted to make sure this topic is not taken in the wrong direction.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Had it not been foolish, how would you respond?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »