Off topic: Unbelievable London airport announcements
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:43
English to German
Dec 23, 2004

Hi, I received this from a friend yesterday and simply have to share it with you:

"This is the story.....
We‘d go and sit on the balcony at Terminal 3 at Heathrow Airport, directly under one of the PA speakers where we put a tape machine in a bag with the microphone poking out of the top. Then we‘d look for a flight that had arrived in the last 40 minutes from somewhere where you‘d expect people with unpronounceable names i.e. Saudi Arabia. We would then go to the Airpor
... See more
Hi, I received this from a friend yesterday and simply have to share it with you:

"This is the story.....
We‘d go and sit on the balcony at Terminal 3 at Heathrow Airport, directly under one of the PA speakers where we put a tape machine in a bag with the microphone poking out of the top. Then we‘d look for a flight that had arrived in the last 40 minutes from somewhere where you‘d expect people with unpronounceable names i.e. Saudi Arabia. We would then go to the Airport Help Desk with a prewritten note containing the names of fictitious passengers and ask them to read out the names over the PA system. The passenger’s names looked innocent enough on paper but they sounded like something else when read out loud."

It's too bad I can't post the sound files from the Word document here, but you may download it from here: www.procateuropa.de/LondonAirportAnnouncements.doc

- Arheddis Varkenjaab and Aywellbe Fayed
- Arjevbin Fayed and Bybeiev Rhibodie
- Aynayda Pizaqvick and Malexa Krost
- Awul Dasfilshabeda and Nowaynayda Zheet
- Makollig Jezvahted and Levdaroum DeBahzted
- Steelaygot Maowenbach and Tuka Piziniztee

Do you get it ?

They got rumbled doing the fifth one. They actually threatened to arrest them as apparently they‘d received complaints over the previous weeks!

[Edited at 2004-12-23 09:39]

[Edited at 2004-12-23 09:40]
Collapse

luka
luka
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Brilliant Dec 23, 2004

Thank you, I had a good laugh.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
I'll never forget one flight I was on... Dec 23, 2004

When I was flying from Heathrow to Frankfurt once, the pilot made his standard announcement about flight time, weather at the destination, and mentioned that his co-pilot that day was Richard Head.

I asked one of the cabin crew if that was the co-pilot's real name. He smiled, and told me the pilot had been saying the same thing all day (this was an evening flight) and that I was the first person to notice. I've listened to the in-flight announcements more closely since then!
... See more
When I was flying from Heathrow to Frankfurt once, the pilot made his standard announcement about flight time, weather at the destination, and mentioned that his co-pilot that day was Richard Head.

I asked one of the cabin crew if that was the co-pilot's real name. He smiled, and told me the pilot had been saying the same thing all day (this was an evening flight) and that I was the first person to notice. I've listened to the in-flight announcements more closely since then!

Alison
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Richard Head? Dec 23, 2004

I'm too stupid to get it. What's wrong with this name? Help me laugh!

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Richard Dec 23, 2004

People called Richard often get called Dick for short (at least in good old Blightly)

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Hahahaaha Dec 23, 2004

That's a good one. There was this Indian industrialist Jamshedji Cursetdji Jheejhaboy (a real person that). He attended a party hosted by the Queen of England. On such occasions the butler has to announce in a loud voice the name of the visitors as they enter. The butler agonized over this name for some time and shouted with evident distress: "Damn says she, curse says she, she's a boy".

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

People called Richard often get called Dick for short (at least in good old Blightly)

James Girard
James Girard  Identity Verified
Germany
English
+ ...
Not Funny Dec 24, 2004

In this day and age I think you can find somewhere other than an international airport to find your linguistic jollies.

Not amused in the least.

-JAG

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Airplane! Dec 24, 2004

It reminds me one of the first scenes in the movie Airplane!, with the airport PA.

hasanyildirim
hasanyildirim
Local time: 21:43
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oh Boy!! everyone here had really good free laugh!!! Dec 25, 2004

Thank you very much again. I hope if it wasn't you and your kind of guys, the world would have been more boring place and I would have wanted to move to Mars or something!

Ta raa

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:43
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thanks Marion Oct 19, 2009

Thanks for this post - a great way to start the week! Never laughed so much in my life!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Funny retort Oct 19, 2009

Marion Schimmelpfennig wrote:

Help me laugh!

Actually you made it even funnier with this comment!

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Not at all amuzing Oct 19, 2009

8(

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unbelievable London airport announcements

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »