Pavle Perencevic
Pavle Perencevic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:31
Membru (2002)
din sârbă în engleză
+ ...
another non-native score Apr 23, 2005

100% on all except the expert score, which was 73%. However, this test is flawed:

"She complains to WHOMEVER will listen."
This is marked as correct by the tester, but it can't be because "whomever" here is the subject of "will listen", and the subject must be in the nominative case, and "whomever" is in the objective case (like "him", "her" and "them"). I think the only correct way of saying this is "She complains to anyone who (nominative) will listen." But if I had to cho
... See more
100% on all except the expert score, which was 73%. However, this test is flawed:

"She complains to WHOMEVER will listen."
This is marked as correct by the tester, but it can't be because "whomever" here is the subject of "will listen", and the subject must be in the nominative case, and "whomever" is in the objective case (like "him", "her" and "them"). I think the only correct way of saying this is "She complains to anyone who (nominative) will listen." But if I had to choose, I'd always opt for "She complains to whoever will listen."

Also, "farther" and "further" may be interchangeable, so it's not really an either-or situation as suggested by the test.

[Edited at 2005-04-23 17:08]
Collapse

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 02:31
Membru (2003)
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Thanks for the fun link Apr 23, 2005

As a native "expert," I stumbled somewhere in the expert test - probably on "a while, awhile, for a while, all of the above."

Enough of whiling (?) away the time: back to work!

Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Sppeling? Apr 23, 2005

I always believed that sppeling was iverelant, reelevant, ileravant ... no matter!
Thanks for sharing this, I got good marks too,hehe
Regards to all,
Kathinka

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Membru (2006)
din norvegiană în engleză
+ ...
Apr 23, 2005

[Edited at 2005-04-25 18:42]

Robert Donahue (X)
Robert Donahue (X)  Identity Verified
din rusă în engleză
+ ...
Clever test, and ever so slightly humbling Apr 23, 2005

English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 80% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

I got nailed by the stupid hanged, further and whomever
... See more
English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 80% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

I got nailed by the stupid hanged, further and whomever : P I'm a native English speaker, so I'm a tad embarrassed by the silly mistakes.
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
another non-native Apr 23, 2005

100, 100, 93, 73.

I guess there's still room for improvement, who wants to teach me English?

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 18:31
Membru (2003)
din engleză în italiană
+ ...
Another Italian speaker Apr 23, 2005

Advanced
You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 73% Expert!
You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

Katza
Katza
Local time: 03:31
din engleză în română
+ ...
Yet Another Non-Native Apr 23, 2005

You scored 100% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 100% Expert!

It was fun - thanks for the link.

Kevin Kelly
Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:31
din rusă în engleză
+ ...
She complains to whomever she can find. Apr 23, 2005

Sorry to disappoint you Pavle, but the sentence in the test (my test, anyway) was "She complains to whomever she can find." This is absolutely correct; "whoever" is incorrect.

Also, there IS a difference between "further" and "farther." Farther means "to or at a greater distance," while further means "to a greater extent or at a more advanced stage" in an abstract sense. They are very rarely interchangeable.

This was a quite interesting test. My experience has been t
... See more
Sorry to disappoint you Pavle, but the sentence in the test (my test, anyway) was "She complains to whomever she can find." This is absolutely correct; "whoever" is incorrect.

Also, there IS a difference between "further" and "farther." Farther means "to or at a greater distance," while further means "to a greater extent or at a more advanced stage" in an abstract sense. They are very rarely interchangeable.

This was a quite interesting test. My experience has been that very few so-called native speakers of English in America can correctly differentiate between "they're," "their," and "there." And sadly, it is quite easy to finish high school in the United States without the faintest concept of how English is structured. When I was teaching Russian to college-age students a few years ago, I was approached by one erstwhile young man (after four months of intensive instruction at 30 hours per week) and asked to explain "the difference between nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs." This person had graduated high school without understanding the concept of parts of speech!

I am quite impressed by the results achieved by my non-native speaking colleagues.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:01
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My score Apr 24, 2005

This is what I managed, 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

I wish they also showed where I faltered.

Balasubramaniam

Jan Schauseil
Jan Schauseil  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
din germană în engleză
+ ...
English Genius Apr 24, 2005

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

No, I'm not a native speaker, but used to teach English.
I think some answers are debatable, though, as to common and accepted usage.

Blithe
Blithe
Local time: 20:31
rusă
+ ...
non-native Apr 24, 2005

100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 73% Expert

all my mistakes in the expert section occurred because I actually thought about answers, and that's wrong. The right way to do it is to answer on an autopilot!
It was fun anyway.

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
din germană în italiană
+ ...
my score (Italian mother tongue) Apr 24, 2005

English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

A bit too generous indeed

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 01:31
din franceză în portugheză
+ ...
Portuguese native speaker Apr 24, 2005

85% beginner
92% intermediate
93% advanced
73% expert

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English test

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »