Thread poster: JH Trads
Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:03
German to English
+ ...
Seen in an Elsevier environmental publication Dec 2, 2005

The author was a German Professor at a Czech University. She kept refering to recycling of packaging materials collected in "city offals". duh?

I reckon she must have wanted to looked up something like "Innern" but used "Innerei" (= offal) instead.

This was published in an Elsevier journal. It looks like the editorial staff must have had their Christmas party that day!

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 10:03
English to German
What's this blanket for? Jan 29, 2006

Some months ago my local supermarket featured smallish fleece blankets labeled "Kuscheldecken", with the Spanish text "manta para el placer a dos".

"Kuscheln" is German for (a) wrapping your blanket cozily around yourself (b) prolonged hugging (not necessarily sexualized). I bet the translator who only knew the second meaning, had a hard time trying to get it across without indecency)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a troubling translation....

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »