Thread poster: tondeaf (X)
tondeaf (X)
tondeaf (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:25
German to English
Aug 17, 2010

Dear Translators:

1. If I am translating the document and page numbers are formatted by the style in italics:
{3}page 35{4} ...
A) Do I have to italicize this during translation, or will this happen automatically when I update the fields in the document?
B) Do I even have to type "Page 35" or can I just leave it blank, as the field indicated for the page is the (3) and {4} (I believe)?
C) If there is a heading within the field, do I need to ty
... See more
Dear Translators:

1. If I am translating the document and page numbers are formatted by the style in italics:
{3}page 35{4} ...
A) Do I have to italicize this during translation, or will this happen automatically when I update the fields in the document?
B) Do I even have to type "Page 35" or can I just leave it blank, as the field indicated for the page is the (3) and {4} (I believe)?
C) If there is a heading within the field, do I need to type that, as it is extracted automatically from the target field when I update fields?

2. Is there a button to jump to the next *uncompleted* row? Or do I just need to hit down arrow until I reach the next uncompleted row?

3. How come my pretranslate isn't filling in 64-79% matches, but these fill in after moving to the next row and populate a previously 0% match (happens a lot).

4. Is there any way to get a complete count of the document:
Finished
Fuzzy
Empty
etc?

When I do the stats calculation it seems to be only looking at the fuzzies, or the fuzzies and empties, and all the lockeds and 100% don't seem to appear anywhere.

Thanks!
Ryan
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:25
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
The answers Aug 17, 2010

1. A) You have to italicize it, yes.
B) You have to type the number if it's there in the original. Those tags are formatting tags, so they don't represent the page number.
C) I don't know exactly what you mean.

2. You can use Ctrl+G to go to the next empty segment. There is a dialog box, too, where you can set the types of segments that Ctrl+G should lead you to.

3. I'm not quite sure.

4. Open the document for translation and look at the
... See more
1. A) You have to italicize it, yes.
B) You have to type the number if it's there in the original. Those tags are formatting tags, so they don't represent the page number.
C) I don't know exactly what you mean.

2. You can use Ctrl+G to go to the next empty segment. There is a dialog box, too, where you can set the types of segments that Ctrl+G should lead you to.

3. I'm not quite sure.

4. Open the document for translation and look at the status bar. All the info you ask for are there!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Aug 18, 2010

tondeaf wrote:
{3}page 35{4} ...

Yes, you have to italicize it yourself. MemoQ takes into account basic formatting (bold, Italics, underline) and lets you use them in your translated segment. If the tags where the ones creating the Italics, you would not see the Italics in the source segment. Those tags must be for something else.

tondeaf wrote:
C) If there is a heading within the field, do I need to type that, as it is extracted automatically from the target field when I update fields?

Yes, you have to type the translation of "Page 35", as it is not an automatic field. Text generated by fields does not get shown as translatable text in MemoQ as far as I am aware. Same applies to any headings you see as typeable text.

tondeaf wrote:
2. Is there a button to jump to the next *uncompleted* row? Or do I just need to hit down arrow until I reach the next uncompleted row?

Press Ctrl-G. This is the standard shortcut for the command Edit>Goto Next. You can also use the options in Goto Next Settings in the Edit menu to configure how Goto Next works better for you.

tondeaf wrote:
3. How come my pretranslate isn't filling in 64-79% matches, but these fill in after moving to the next row and populate a previously 0% match (happens a lot).

The Lookup part of the Pre-Translate dialog box has different options for levels of acceptable matches for pretranslation: Exact match with context is the highest match (100% match and coincidence in the context -> creates a 101% match), and Any match is the lowest match (should include your very low matches). Personally I don't think it is good to pretranslate with low matches. It could lead you to think that segments are already finished when they are not. It is probably better to pretranslate only with the Exact match and Exact match with context, and then go through the empty segments.

tondeaf wrote:
4. Is there any way to get a complete count of the document:
Finished
Fuzzy
Empty
etc?
When I do the stats calculation it seems to be only looking at the fuzzies, or the fuzzies and empties, and all the lockeds and 100% don't seem to appear anywhere.

I think I will let other colleagues or Kilgray answer this. While you translate you can already see information in the status line (check the online help for the meaning of the different numbers). I think that the locked segments should appear as part of the 100% matches in your statistics.

Also, please remember that you have to Confirm each segment as you translate it in the grid so that the translations go into the memory. You also have to confirm any pretranslation you do. You can confirm pretranslated segments manually one by one or with the Confirm and update rows in Operations. Is it possible that you are not confirming the segments? That might be a reason why you don't see any 100% matches.

tondeaf (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
TOC is imported, so it can't be this way...? Aug 20, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

tondeaf wrote:
{3}page 35{4} ...

Yes, you have to italicize it yourself. MemoQ takes into account basic formatting (bold, Italics, underline) and lets you use them in your translated segment. If the tags where the ones creating the Italics, you would not see the Italics in the source segment. Those tags must be for something else.

This can't be true as the entire TOC was taken into the system "as is".

Tomas wrote:
tondeaf wrote:

Yes, you have to type the translation of "Page 35", as it is not an automatic field. Text generated by fields does not get shown as translatable text in MemoQ as far as I am aware. Same applies to any headings you see as typeable text.

Same for as above--the TOC page numbers, names, and headings all get imported. And they are definitely automatically generated...

Thanks for the rest of the answers!

[Edited at 2010-08-20 11:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-20 11:55 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try a change of filter Aug 20, 2010

tondeaf wrote:
Same for as above--the TOC page numbers, names, and headings all get imported. And they are definitely automatically generated...

Yes, I see what you mean. This is just happening to me in a job I have today. Indeed the TOC, which can be regenerated, is taken as is. However, I think you can exclude that from the translatable text by using the following way of adding the file to your project:

In the Translations pane (where the list of files appears), choose "Add document as..." (instead of "Add document), select the DOC file, choose the "Microsoft Word 2007 filter" (instead of the Microsoft Word filter) and disable the "Import TOC" checkbox. Give it a try to see whether this works for you.

MemoQ's filter for Word 2007 is better than that for Word 2003/XP/earlier versions.

[Edited at 2010-08-20 12:00 GMT]

tondeaf (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
A couple more questions... Aug 20, 2010

How do I view only unconfirmed segments?

Is there a way to confirm the current segment and jump to the next unconfirmed segment with one keypress?

Or, is there a way to just filter out all locked and confirmed rows?

Not quite as intuitive as I am used to with DVX...

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is intuitive Aug 20, 2010

...but the names of things could be different.

tondeaf wrote:
How do I view only unconfirmed segments?

Click the "Filter segments by status" icon in the toolbar (the funnel icon) and select "Edited" (for segments you have started but have not confirmed) and "Not started" (empty segments), for instance. To undo the filtering, click the "Reset filter" icon.

tondeaf wrote:
Is there a way to confirm the current segment and jump to the next unconfirmed segment with one keypress?

I think you should use Edit>Goto Next Settings... command. In the dialog box, you can check the "Automatically jump after confirmation" and use the "Stop at next segment" area to select the kinds of segments you would like to jump to.

tondeaf wrote:
Or, is there a way to just filter out all locked and confirmed rows?

When configuring the filter as indicated above, also check the "Skip locked segments". This will exclude the locked segments from the visible segments.

I hope this helps!

tondeaf (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reduce time between changing segments Aug 21, 2010

Thanks for the help so far--

Now, performance wise, it takes about 3 seconds every time I go to the next row. Any way to reduce this? I already turned off all the auto lookup etc...still it is 10x slower than Deja Vu here....

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Strange Aug 21, 2010

tondeaf wrote:
Now, performance wise, it takes about 3 seconds every time I go to the next row. Any way to reduce this? I already turned off all the auto lookup etc...still it is 10x slower than Deja Vu here...

This is strange. You are probably the first person I know of with performance problems with MemoQ. Now, seriously, over here we use MemoQ in a server version, and even with large memories and large termbases and 4 people working together, sometimes even in the same file, the lookup (and insertion if adequate) over the LAN happens immediately, in a fraction of a second.

Can you tell us more about your computer setup (memory, hard disk...)? Are you using a project that is stored on a server in a network?

Also, is it possible that you have the Eurotermbank plugin activated? That does take a couple of seconds until you have the terminology suggestions. To check, in the initial screen of MemoQ (the Dashboard), go to Tools > Options, select the "Terminology plugins" category and see whether you have Eurotermbank enabled. Disable it and see whether the situation improves.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Performance in general Aug 21, 2010

tondeaf wrote:
Now, performance wise, it takes about 3 seconds every time I go to the next row. Any way to reduce this? I already turned off all the auto lookup etc...still it is 10x slower than Deja Vu here...

This is strange. You are probably the first person I know of with performance problems with MemoQ. Now, seriously, over here we use MemoQ in a server version, and even with large memories and large termbases and 4 people working together, sometimes even in the same file, the lookup (and insertion if adequate) over the LAN happens immediately, in a fraction of a second.

Can you tell us more about your computer setup (memory, hard disk...)? Are you using a project that is stored on a server in a network?

Also, is it possible that you have the Eurotermbank plugin activated? That does take a couple of seconds until you have the terminology suggestions. To check, in the initial screen of MemoQ (the Dashboard), go to Tools > Options, select the "Terminology plugins" category and see whether you have Eurotermbank enabled. Disable it and see whether the situation improves.

I'm sorry for butting in, but could you give me a general idea of what to expect from MemoQ with large TMs? And I do mean large, say, 4 or 5 memories totalling about 2 million TUs.
Will it work? How fast would lookups and concordance searches be?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Give it a try! Aug 21, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:
I'm sorry for butting in, but could you give me a general idea of what to expect from MemoQ with large TMs? And I do mean large, say, 4 or 5 memories totalling about 2 million TUs.

I'm affraid I cannot tell. In our case, the project with the biggest memories uses one main memory with under 200 thousand TUs and a reference one with some 150 thousand TUs. Lookups happen at the same speed as with a much translation memories, i.e. maybe 1/4 of a second, over a LAN and from our Windows SBS Server (also with MemoQ Server).

Analysis is slower than with Trados, but I must also mention that our server is heavily fragmented and that must have an influence in analysis. I will defragment our server over the weekend and check again. It is a must since some of the index files of our bigger memories are split in as many as several thousand pieces... (yes, I am ashamed of that!).

Personally I would try with an evaluation copy. I am quite certain that the response times with large memories will be quite good, but it's best if you check for yourself and on your system.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks Aug 21, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

I'm affraid I cannot tell. In our case, the project with the biggest memories uses one main memory with under 200 thousand TUs and a reference one with some 150 thousand TUs. Lookups happen at the same speed as with a much translation memories, i.e. maybe 1/4 of a second, over a LAN and from our Windows SBS Server (also with MemoQ Server).

Analysis is slower than with Trados, but I must also mention that our server is heavily fragmented and that must have an influence in analysis. I will defragment our server over the weekend and check again. It is a must since some of the index files of our bigger memories are split in as many as several thousand pieces... (yes, I am ashamed of that!).

Personally I would try with an evaluation copy. I am quite certain that the response times with large memories will be quite good, but it's best if you check for yourself and on your system.

I'll probably have to do that, both with MemoQ and with Studio. Thanks anyway.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX... LSC... Aug 21, 2010

tondeaf wrote:

This is strange. You are probably the first person I know of with performance problems with MemoQ.

I think it's true if your files are on the local disk.
The stand alone MQ versions may be visibly slower when the TM, TB and project files are located over the LAN.
I noticed it exactly as a DVX user, i.e. started to use LAN locations which were obvious for me (one of the DVX big advantages is the simultaneous data access, so the LAN storage is something normal...).
DVX is far better here although approx. 2 months ago I experienced really critical DVX performance problems on my backup server, so it may depend heavily of the machine configuration.

FarkasAndras wrote:

It should work.
The TM and TB response is OK for "normal" matches, the automated concordance (LSC) may need few seconds to complete (unlike most tools MQ performs the concordance searches automatically but it may be turned on/off and tuned in).

Tested on TMs up to 1 M TUs.
Some months ago, I asked also my students how they perceive the LSC speed on a 0,75 M TM (DGT en-pl) and they said it's still workable even for 2 word groups in large sentences although the response may not be immediate.
The default for LSC is 3 word group, so it was rather a stress test.

The "stand alone" concordance is immediate unless MQ refuses to proceed the query because of the absurd number of occurences (e.g. if you try to search "the" for English...).

Cheers, from holiday (no tests for a moment...)
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-21 20:51 GMT]

Ethan Bien
Ethan Bien  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:25
Member (2008)
Russian to English
euroterm disabled, using a netbook Nov 9, 2010

tondeaf wrote:

I'm using a netbook (a business class one!) and getting a serious slowdown that gets worse as the project goes on. Some segments are okay, but number-heavy ones return about 20 or so hits in the translation pane, and even typing starts to slow down. Most of the hits I'm getting are orange and blue and I have not found the filters to reduce them.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A suggestion for 4.5 Nov 9, 2010

EADB wrote:
I'm using a netbook (a business class one!) and getting a serious slowdown that gets worse as the project goes on. Some segments are okay, but number-heavy ones return about 20 or so hits in the translation pane, and even typing starts to slow down. Most of the hits I'm getting are orange and blue and I have not found the filters to reduce them.

If you use MemoQ 4.5 already, I wonder whether you could play a bit with some translation memory settings:
- Go to Resource console > Translation memories > select your memory, and choose Properties. You should see a slider with options "More fuzzy hits" and "Faster lookup". Move the slider towards "Faster lookup" and see whether it helps you.

- Also, you can increase the minimum match percentage for a match. You can do so in the Project home > Settings > and click Edit (you might have to clone the Default settings) to reveal the option "Minimum Match Threshold". Increase that figure and try.

I hope this helps a bit!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unfamiliar questions about MemoQ features

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »