Theodore Lemle
Theodore Lemle  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:40
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2011

Hello All,

Please excuse this very basic question, but this is my first use of MemoQ, and I have been reading threads and trying different solutions for the past 4 or 5 hours on my own before asking for help.

I have been sent a pre-segmented .ttx file to translate for a client. I only have the demo version of SDL Trados PRO SP2 (which I know will come in handy when checking whether MemoQ handled the tags properly when exported to TagEditor).

It would seem a
... See more
Hello All,

Please excuse this very basic question, but this is my first use of MemoQ, and I have been reading threads and trying different solutions for the past 4 or 5 hours on my own before asking for help.

I have been sent a pre-segmented .ttx file to translate for a client. I only have the demo version of SDL Trados PRO SP2 (which I know will come in handy when checking whether MemoQ handled the tags properly when exported to TagEditor).

It would seem as if I'm asking a question that has been answered 100 times before here, but it hasn't (if so please point me to the thread and I will immediately post an apology for wasting your time). All I need to know is the simple step by step process of properly exporting a finished translation from MemoQ 5.0 into a .ttx (instead of .mpr which it has been doing) file format with all the tags intact. This may be simple for many of you, but I have been trying for hours to no avail so that i can meet my deadline. Any and all help is most certainly appreciated, I will be checking this thread every 30 minutes or less.

P.S If you are more comfortable explaining the solution in either, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, or Catalan, please PM me and I will gladly translate your advice into English for others who may read this thread in the future.

Thanks in advance!
Theo
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Export (dialog) Dec 26, 2011

The "Export (dialog)" option, which should probably be in memoQ 5 (I still haven't had a chance to run the upgrade), creates the same kind of source file you added to the project, so in the case of a TTX file it creates a bilingual TTX file.

Give it a try!

Theodore Lemle
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying export dialog, thank you! Dec 26, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

The "Export (dialog)" option, which should probably be in memoQ 5 (I still haven't had a chance to run the upgrade), creates the same kind of source file you added to the project, so in the case of a TTX file it creates a bilingual TTX file.

Give it a try!

Thanks a million! I really appreciate it Tomás.

Theodore Lemle
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Importing into .ttx into MemoQ5.0 without segmenting by sentence Dec 28, 2011

Hello All,

I figured that it would be better if I just add to this thread instead of creating a new one, cluttering the MemoQ thread page.

In response to Tomás' advice, pressing the export dialog worked just fine, all I had to do for it to export in .TTX was make sure that the matching source and target TU's had the same amount of tags.

My only problem is that MemoQ 5.0 automatically segmented each TU by sentences while importing the .TTX Ta
... See more
Hello All,

I figured that it would be better if I just add to this thread instead of creating a new one, cluttering the MemoQ thread page.

In response to Tomás' advice, pressing the export dialog worked just fine, all I had to do for it to export in .TTX was make sure that the matching source and target TU's had the same amount of tags.

My only problem is that MemoQ 5.0 automatically segmented each TU by sentences while importing the .TTX TagEditor file.

Does anyone know how to avoid MemoQ's sentence segmenting when importing a .TTX file? To clarify, I would just like each source and target TU to be one contiguous paragraph (one segment).

Everyone's input is more than welcome. Thanks in advance!
Theo
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:40
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
tips on pre-segmenting Trados files by Kevin Lossner Dec 28, 2011

Hi Theodore,

I highly recommend you read what Kevin Lossner has to say about pre-segmenting TTX, etc:

http://www.translationtribulations.com/2011/12/presegmented-classic-trados-files.html

Theodore Lemle
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution update Jan 4, 2012

Hello All,

I just wanted to give an update on how I solved the problem for any users who may be experiencing the same difficulty.

First I followed Tomás' advice and simply pressed "Export Dialog" to export the file in a .ttx format.

In order to stop MemoQ's automatic sentence-by-sentence fragmentation I went to Project Home>Segmentation Rules (in MemoQ5.0 it's a scissors icon)> create/use new> then I simply deleted all default segmentation rules.
... See more
Hello All,

I just wanted to give an update on how I solved the problem for any users who may be experiencing the same difficulty.

First I followed Tomás' advice and simply pressed "Export Dialog" to export the file in a .ttx format.

In order to stop MemoQ's automatic sentence-by-sentence fragmentation I went to Project Home>Segmentation Rules (in MemoQ5.0 it's a scissors icon)> create/use new> then I simply deleted all default segmentation rules.

It pretty much did the trick, but there were still two target TU's. The client was happy with it though, as it wasn't a big problem. We're going to work together to find a solution to get rid of the second target TU. Once we do, I'll post that too.

Thanks again for all your help,
Theo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 5.0: export process of .ttx presegmented file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »