Do language variants affect the performance of MemoQ in any way?
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 14:33
English to Chinese
Jan 5, 2012

Dear MemoQ users,

I would like to know if language variants would affect MemoQ's performance in any way. For example, I have a tmx file exported from Trados. By default it's English-US. Now I created a new MemoQ TM in English (without specifying the sublanguage). Would I be able to import the tmx with English-US into my new TM? (It looked as if I could.) Would that affect MemoQ's performance in terms of concordance search or the hits I receive, since the original language expo
... See more
Dear MemoQ users,

I would like to know if language variants would affect MemoQ's performance in any way. For example, I have a tmx file exported from Trados. By default it's English-US. Now I created a new MemoQ TM in English (without specifying the sublanguage). Would I be able to import the tmx with English-US into my new TM? (It looked as if I could.) Would that affect MemoQ's performance in terms of concordance search or the hits I receive, since the original language exported was English-US rather than English? And last, would I be able to "mix and match", in other words, use multiple TMs and termbases where some are set up with English-US and some are generic English in a project?

Thank you so much!

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2012-01-06 00:07 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Always best to use one single variant Jan 6, 2012

In memoQ, the visibility of certain resources depends on its flavour. For instance, you could be working in an English-US to Chinese project and could use a good glossary you stored in English-UK. You will not see the strings for one flavour when you are working in another flavour.

It is always best to choose one single flavour per language and use it consistently, so that you can easily reuse different kinds of materials. This is at least our experience with 4.5. Colleagues who hav
... See more
In memoQ, the visibility of certain resources depends on its flavour. For instance, you could be working in an English-US to Chinese project and could use a good glossary you stored in English-UK. You will not see the strings for one flavour when you are working in another flavour.

It is always best to choose one single flavour per language and use it consistently, so that you can easily reuse different kinds of materials. This is at least our experience with 4.5. Colleagues who have already had a chance to install 5.0 (we have a server version but haven't had a quiet day to install it) could also confirm this or correct me.
Collapse

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:33
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
You can mix Jan 6, 2012

As far as importing into memoQ is concerned - you can easily import an EN-US TMX into any other English TM in memoQ. By the way, a TMX file exported from an English TM in memoQ (no flavour) will always be deemed as US by other software.

Another solution, if you want to be 100% sure you can always open the TMX in notepad++ and make a global search and replace so "EN-US" to "EN-GB" or the other way round (also: "EN" to "EN-US"/"EN-GB"). The quote marks are important here, because you
... See more
As far as importing into memoQ is concerned - you can easily import an EN-US TMX into any other English TM in memoQ. By the way, a TMX file exported from an English TM in memoQ (no flavour) will always be deemed as US by other software.

Another solution, if you want to be 100% sure you can always open the TMX in notepad++ and make a global search and replace so "EN-US" to "EN-GB" or the other way round (also: "EN" to "EN-US"/"EN-GB"). The quote marks are important here, because you wouldn't want to replace anything else than the language codes.

What you can't do is use a British English memory in memoQ if the project is just English or US English. Of course, a bit of TMX export/import can fix that.

Hope this helps.

Michal
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 14:33
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
sometimes language flavors are by default, not by choice Jan 6, 2012

Thank you, Tomas and Michal, for your very helpful answers.
I have been using English without specifying the "flavor" (so that's what it's called...I didn't know about that:) when I create new TMs in MemoQ. However, the tmx file I export from Trados is EN-US by default, so I asked the question to make sure it would still work/import fine despite the different language flavors.
I also did some testings this morning and it seems that if I set up my source language in "English" and i
... See more
Thank you, Tomas and Michal, for your very helpful answers.
I have been using English without specifying the "flavor" (so that's what it's called...I didn't know about that:) when I create new TMs in MemoQ. However, the tmx file I export from Trados is EN-US by default, so I asked the question to make sure it would still work/import fine despite the different language flavors.
I also did some testings this morning and it seems that if I set up my source language in "English" and import a tmx file which has "English-US" as the source file, the imported segments now have "EN" in their header information. And based on what Michal said, it is ok to mix the TMs (I think with termbases, too) that have English and the TMs that have English-US. This is great to know!
I am using the most recent MemoQ vers
ion, by the way.
Thank you again for your help!

Chun-yi

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

It is always best to choose one single flavour per language and use it consistently, so that you can easily reuse different kinds of materials. This is at least our experience with 4.5. Colleagues who have already had a chance to install 5.0 (we have a server version but haven't had a quiet day to install it) could also confirm this or correct me.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do language variants affect the performance of MemoQ in any way?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »