Thread poster: Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:07
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2012

Is it safe to translate them in MemoQ. They open quite nicely in MemoQ, indeed.

Regards,

Piotr Bieńkowski

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 07:07
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Why do you need to translate in another tool as you already have one? Jan 17, 2012

Dear Piotr,

I gather from posting that you already have access to, and also pay for Translation Workspace.
Why do you need to do your translations in another CAT tool? Is it so much better than the other one?
Any feedback in welcome.

Regards,
Georgi

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because... :-) Jan 17, 2012

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

Dear Piotr,

I gather from posting that you already have access to, and also pay for Translation Workspace.
Why do you need to do your translations in another CAT tool? Is it so much better than the other one?
Any feedback in welcome.

Regards,
Georgi

.... translation of 100 or so XLZ files is much more convenient in MemoQ compared with Workspace in so many ways...

I did not pay for access. My client (a translation agency) did. I was not aware that the TM sits on a server. Having realized it, I am stuck with Workspace XLIFF Editor. Sigh....

Regards,

Piotr

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Not a direct answer, but Jan 17, 2012

I remember fiddling with those files back in Logoport times. I used Trados Studio on them with decent results, but then you need to search and replace attributes and values in the xlf files so that match values are shown in the editor. I don't remember exacltly what I did, but it was pretty simple.

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately... Jan 17, 2012

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

I remember fiddling with those files back in Logoport times. I used Trados Studio on them with decent results, but then you need to search and replace attributes and values in the xlf files so that match values are shown in the editor. I don't remember exacltly what I did, but it was pretty simple.

I know my way around with such hacks, but unfortunately I must work in their XLIFF Editor this time, but they listed with interest to arguments about MemoQ.

Regards,

Piotr

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
TMX? Jan 17, 2012

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
I was not aware that the TM sits on a server. Having realized it, I am stuck with Workspace XLIFF Editor. Sigh....

Can it be worse than with Across

Maybe your client can provide you with a TMX, now that you've convinced them how much faster it would be to complete the job in memoQ?

christela (X)
christela (X)
Err... Jan 18, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Maybe your client can provide you with a TMX, now that you've convinced them how much faster it would be to complete the job in memoQ?

Did he say 'convinced'?

Technically, the system is TMX compatible, so he can retrieve his own segments. But it is far much easier and safer to use the editor (matches, concordance, coherence).

By the way, do you distribute your TMs to other people?

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One comment about coherence Jan 18, 2012

christela wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Did he say 'convinced'?

Technically, the system is TMX compatible, so he can retrieve his own segments. But it is far much easier and safer to use the editor (matches, concordance, coherence).

As for coherence it is much more difficult in Workspace XLIFF Editor than in MemoQ.

I received a project constructed in a dumb way, 111 xlz files, one xliff file in each. I believe it is possible to put more than one xlf file in an xlz archive (judging from the file header displayed in the editor). If you realize during translation that you need to go back and correct something, how do you go about it in this XLIFF Editor with 111 files? In MemoQ you import all xlf or xlz files, create a view that knocks them all together and you can apply a filter to view just the segments that you need to correct.

Regards,

Piotr

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Distributing TM's Jan 18, 2012

christela wrote:

I can't comment about that, since I have no experience whatsoever of Translation Workspace. However, I know Piotr is a tech savvy person, so if there were an easy way for him to extract matches into the XLIFF's, he would probably have done it already.

christela wrote:

No, but I'm not an agency and I'm not asking people to translate for me. However, it's not uncommon for agencies that require a given TM to be used for a specific job to supply that TM to the translator.

christela (X)
christela (X)
Files Jan 20, 2012

Incoherences will be caught in the subsequent QC process on the whole bunch of files. But file management should be a pain, under these circumstances. I sympathize.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XLZ files from Translation Workspace

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »