Is there a way to eliminate double entries in termbase automatically?
Thread poster: Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:54
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2012

I mean, if the 2nd (or third) entry is identical with the first occurrence (both source and translation are identical), it should go. Is there an automatic way to do it?

Going through them one by one will take ages...

Regards,

Piotr

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:54
Finnish to French
Use Excel (for the time being) Jan 22, 2012

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
I mean, if the 2nd (or third) entry is identical with the first occurrence (both source and translation are identical), it should go. Is there an automatic way to do it?

My understanding is that there's no built-in duplicate removal feature in the current version of memoQ. The subject was discussed on the memoQ list on 12-Sep-2011. I think your best bet for the time being would be to export the content of tour termbase, use Excel to remove duplicates and reimport it into a new termbase.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I have been asking Kilgray for this since 1987... Jan 22, 2012

p.s. BE CAREFUL with Excel: there is a very high chance that you will mess something up. Pay particular attention to the encoding of the files (UTF-8) and double check at every step whether the diacritics and accents (ë, é, ï etc.) in your files are still intact.

p.p.s. I would recommend tlTe
... See more

p.s. BE CAREFUL with Excel: there is a very high chance that you will mess something up. Pay particular attention to the encoding of the files (UTF-8) and double check at every step whether the diacritics and accents (ë, é, ï etc.) in your files are still intact.

p.p.s. I would recommend tlTerm (http://tshwanedje.com/terminology/ ) for term bases. I have since given up on using memoQ for my main TB. Incidentally, I suspect qTerm (http://kilgray.com/products/qterm ) can remove duplicates (and do a lot of other things we have asking Kilgray to fix in memoQ's built-in term base editor). Just a shame it's so expensive...

[Edited at 2012-01-22 11:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-01-22 12:11 GMT]
Collapse

transjura (X)
transjura (X)
Local time: 07:54
German to English
+ ...
work-around with across 5.0SP1 ver F Mar 7, 2012

Hi, The latest update of across has an excellent data management feature. You have to install across (across.net; it's free for freelancers, but you do have to register). Then import your term base or even TM. And there you go. It's easy to understand and they have excellent free email support, too. Then export your data back to MemoQ.
Worked wonders for me.
Best regards, Carola

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to eliminate double entries in termbase automatically?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »