Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 2, 2012

Hello everyone,
I am a new user for memoQ. I have many years experience with other CAT tools. I just have worked on memoQ a few days agao. I found it's really clever than other CAT tools I have used.
But I have a problem, does memoQ has the function as 'save target as' in SDL Trados? After translation in memoQ, how to create the target transaltion?

Thanks in advance!

Han

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple! Mar 2, 2012

You have two main options in the Project home tab: Export dialog (to make a final target-only file, very much like the Save Target As... function Trados), and Export bilingual (which allows you to save a bilingual file in several formats, including a Trados-compatible "uncleaned" Microsoft Word file.

I hope this helps!

Lilit Grigoryan

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Mar 2, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

You have two main options in the Project home tab: Export dialog (to make a final target-only file, very much like the Save Target As... function Trados), and Export bilingual (which allows you to save a bilingual file in several formats, including a Trados-compatible "uncleaned" Microsoft Word file.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much! It works.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:33
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wow! Mar 2, 2012

Thanks, Tomás! I had no idea that memoQ could output projects to the Trados uncleaned Word format. That makes my professional life much easier.

I owe you a coffee sometime.

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Export (stored path) Mar 2, 2012

You can also used "Export (stored path)" which saves the file at a pre-defined location (e.g. mine saves all target files into a folder called "target", which is at the same level as the folder called "source").

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Next time in Spain! Mar 2, 2012

Steven Capsuto wrote:
Thanks, Tomás! I had no idea that memoQ could output projects to the Trados uncleaned Word format. That makes my professional life much easier.

I owe you a coffee sometime.

Indeed, it helps a lot. We deliver a ton of these uncleaned Trados-compatible files every week and they beautifully serve our Trados-based customers' purposes.

As for the coffee, I think it would be my turn! We must find somewhere disgustingly expensive next time you come to Madrid. I suggest the Hotel Palace or similar!

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are very familiar with memoQ! Mar 3, 2012

Hello Tomás,
I have another question on memoQ. It seems memoQ can import bilingual document. One of my clients send me a bilingual document with four colums 'ID', 'Source', 'Target' and 'comments' exported from Dejavu (he said that). I try to import it to memoQ but failed. I get the following information:
'memoQ does not recognize this file as either Trados-compatible bilingual RFT or as two colum RTF. You can import the file as a regular translation document using the Add document
... See more
Hello Tomás,
I have another question on memoQ. It seems memoQ can import bilingual document. One of my clients send me a bilingual document with four colums 'ID', 'Source', 'Target' and 'comments' exported from Dejavu (he said that). I try to import it to memoQ but failed. I get the following information:
'memoQ does not recognize this file as either Trados-compatible bilingual RFT or as two colum RTF. You can import the file as a regular translation document using the Add document command.'

I deleted other columns except for 'source' and 'Target', I still get the information. What's wrong with my operation? Could you please help me for this issue?

Thank you very much!

[Edited at 2012-03-03 01:02 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What for? Mar 3, 2012

Han Li wrote:
I have another question on memoQ. It seems memoQ can import bilingual document. One of my clients send me a bilingual document with four colums 'ID', 'Source', 'Target' and 'comments' exported from Dejavu (he said that). I try to import it to memoQ but failed.

Now, what do you need to do with that "bilingual document"? Do you have to proofread translation that is already there or instead translate the target column, which contains a copy of the source?

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do transaltion Mar 3, 2012

Han Li wrote:
I have another question on memoQ. It seems memoQ can import bilingual document. One of my clients send me a bilingual document with four colums 'ID', 'Source', 'Target' and 'comments' exported from Dejavu (he said that). I try to import it to memoQ but failed.

Now, what do you need to do with that "bilingual document"? Do you have to proofread translation that is already there or instead translate the target column, which contains a copy of the source?

I need do the transaltion in the target column. Actually, I have completed it SDL. Even for SDL Trados, I also have this problem, but it can be opened in SDL trados directly (I think it also can be done in memoQ through 'add document'). I translated the source text and 'Save target as' to create translation, in this case, the source text was replaced with targeted transaltion. I opened the file, copy the translated text and pasted it into the target column in the file that my client sent to me.

If memoQ can open the bilingual document, I don't need to do the steps in SDL trados. That's my question.

My questions is if a rtf file contains some codes that we can't see, but memoQ can 'see' it and then judge if it's a bilingual document for memoQ. If not, why memoQ can't recoginize it?
I also have checked another bilingual document created by memoQ, it seems there is no difference between them.

[Edited at 2012-03-03 08:26 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
By hiding Mar 3, 2012

If you can open the document in Microsoft Word and save it as a DOC file, you only have to hide the bits you do not want translated. Simply select the columns you don't need, and use the Hidden attribute in the Font settings in MS Word. Save that. Use "Add document" in memoQ. There you have it! You should see the part you have to translate.

After finishing the translation, use Export dialog, open in Word again and unhide the hidden parts.

This should do it! Give it a tr
... See more
If you can open the document in Microsoft Word and save it as a DOC file, you only have to hide the bits you do not want translated. Simply select the columns you don't need, and use the Hidden attribute in the Font settings in MS Word. Save that. Use "Add document" in memoQ. There you have it! You should see the part you have to translate.

After finishing the translation, use Export dialog, open in Word again and unhide the hidden parts.

This should do it! Give it a try. I hope it works for you!

Just a note about "bilingual": Please remember that what the industry understands as a "bilingual file" is some kind of file which ALREADY contains a source text and its translation. What you received for translation is a file with columns, not a "bilingual" in the standard meaning of the term.
Collapse

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Mar 3, 2012

This should do it! Give it a try. I hope it works for you!

Just a note about "bilingual": Please remember that what the industry understands as a "bilingual file" is some kind of file which ALREADY contains a source text and its translation. What you received for translation is a file with columns, not a "bilingual" in the standard meaning of the term.

It works well. It's a great solution. I will not need do the two-steps work in the future projects from now.
Thank you very much!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are most welcome! Mar 3, 2012

Indeed memoQ can do very many things, and I think it is the most powerful and versatile tool I have used so far. With it, our team here is reaching levels of efficiency that would be simply impossible for our previous tool (Trados 2007), and I think our quality is also higher.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to 'SAVE TARGET AS' in memoQ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »