TM editing in memoQ
Thread poster: Tim0
Tim0
Tim0
Local time: 21:04
Apr 1, 2012

Hello all! Here's the situation: I have to edit a TM compiled from a number of projects and make some global changes to ensure consistency. The memoQ TM editor looks great for the task, however, it seem to lack basic functionality of memoQ translations (such as automating substitution of 100% segments, concordance search, etc.). Also, when checking TM with a QA tool, I cannot commit changes I make in Resolve errors and warnings window - all I get in the following error message:

memo
... See more
Hello all! Here's the situation: I have to edit a TM compiled from a number of projects and make some global changes to ensure consistency. The memoQ TM editor looks great for the task, however, it seem to lack basic functionality of memoQ translations (such as automating substitution of 100% segments, concordance search, etc.). Also, when checking TM with a QA tool, I cannot commit changes I make in Resolve errors and warnings window - all I get in the following error message:

memoQ cannot commit your changes because the translation memory is busy with another lookup. Please try to commit your changes again after a few seconds.

(Actually, I cannot commit changes in the main TM editing window after I run QA, with the same error).

So, what I'm wondering is this: Is there any way to export memoQ TM into something that could be opened in memoQ as a translated file, thus enabling complete functionality?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could be much better Apr 2, 2012

Tim0 wrote:
So, what I'm wondering is this: Is there any way to export memoQ TM into something that could be opened in memoQ as a translated file, thus enabling complete functionality?

Indeed this is something I would sincerely appreciate. Compared to the still limited TM editing options in Trados 2007, I think memoQ's editing abilities are less powerful.

A good example is that it is impossible to find an exact phrase, for instance, and this is critical when you have to edit one single instance of some sentence. If you have a TM with a million entries and need to find an exact phrase with words that are very frequent in the memory, you have to endure having to wait memoQ to find the two thousand segments that contain those words.

I would also value to have better TM maintenance options in memoQ. Probably the weakest are in the tool at the moment (version 5.0).

As for your question, unfortunately I do not think you have such possibility in memoQ. Your best bet is probably to export as a TMX file and then edit that TMX with Microsoft Word or another similarly powerful editor.

Tim0
Tim0
TOPIC STARTER
Any other TM editor? Apr 2, 2012

Thank you for information, Tomás. I did try using MS Word, however, it doesn't do very well with the large files and it still lacks the functionality I need. So, basically there's no good TM editor at present, or can you recommend something?

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:04
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Olifant Apr 3, 2012

Hi,

you could give Olifant (freeware) a try. I think that a lot of MemoQ users use it for TM maintenance.
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/

BR/Johan

Tim0
Tim0
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give it a try Apr 3, 2012

Thank you, Johan. I tried it once, wasn't too impressed... but then again, perhaps I should explore it more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM editing in memoQ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »