Magali GUENETTE
Magali GUENETTE
France
Local time: 07:24
English to French
+ ...
Apr 10, 2012

Dear all,

I have an Excel document where the German colum and some other columns containing codes should not be touched, my translation should be entered in a different column next to the German Source text column.

How do I do that?

I hid the "untouchable" columns in Excel thinking this would do the trick. BUt it doesn't...

WF Pro is great for that you can choose in which column the translation should go. But in Memo Q I cannot see this
... See more
Dear all,

I have an Excel document where the German colum and some other columns containing codes should not be touched, my translation should be entered in a different column next to the German Source text column.

How do I do that?

I hid the "untouchable" columns in Excel thinking this would do the trick. BUt it doesn't...

WF Pro is great for that you can choose in which column the translation should go. But in Memo Q I cannot see this possibility yet. Does it exist ?

I'd like to switch altogether to MEMOQ hence the question, rather than using Wordfast Pro.

TIA for your answers

Magali
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
C&P Apr 10, 2012

Copy the content which you have to translate into new columns, then import this content into MemoQ using the Import As > Select Ranges function.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Copy text to be replaced Apr 10, 2012

In general MemoQ can only replace original text with translation, so first you have to copy the original column to the target column. Then you can select to translate only this column with the settings available in "Import as".

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple! Apr 10, 2012

However, please first tell us what version of Excel (XLS or XLSX) and memoQ.

(The process is very simple! You'll see! I will explain as soon as you report what kind of Excel file you have.)

Guillaume Chareyron
Guillaume Chareyron  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Just select the ranges to be translated Apr 10, 2012

Bonjour Magali!

Just copy your source text to the target column. Then, in MemoQ, click on Add document as, select you excel-file and a dialog will appear. Just choose "Import only these ranges" and then select the ranges in Excel.

Cheers
Guillaume

Magali GUENETTE
Magali GUENETTE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just select the ranges to be translated Apr 10, 2012

Thank you.

I use either Excel 2003 or 2010 indifferently since they are both installed on my laptop.

And my MemoQ version is 5.0.60.

I did copy source text in target colum, but the result is taht Memo Q translated both columns... I just had to recopy the source text in source column but doing all this is time consuming.

I could not find where I can choose what column to translate in IMport as...
so apparently it is in Add document as...<
... See more
Thank you.

I use either Excel 2003 or 2010 indifferently since they are both installed on my laptop.

And my MemoQ version is 5.0.60.

I did copy source text in target colum, but the result is taht Memo Q translated both columns... I just had to recopy the source text in source column but doing all this is time consuming.

so apparently it is in Add document as...

I'll try that again.

Plus in some files I can see that some columns are partly translated.... How do I avoid certains cells (as opposed to certains columns)

TIA for further answers

magali
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:24
English to Turkish
+ ...
Can Wordfast do it? Apr 10, 2012

Magali GUENETTE wrote:

Plus in some files I can see that some columns are partly translated.... How do I avoid certains cells (as opposed to certains columns)

TIA for further answers

magali

Hi Magali,

Does WF import existing translations into the source or target? AFAIR, existing translations were imported as source segments (not an ideal solution) but my WF knowledge is limited.

Between, Trados Studio has a good CSV filter for such scenarios.

Selcuk

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends Apr 10, 2012

Magali GUENETTE wrote:
How do I avoid certains cells (as opposed to certains columns)

Indeed it should be Add document as...

If your Excel document is an XLS file, you have to select what ranges you do not want translated. You simply select the ranges (can be full columns, rows, or ranges of cells), then click Add Ranges. Keep selecting and adding ranges to select all the items you want to stay as is.

In the case of an XLSX document, you can do as above, or --much simpler-- select the range you want to translate, and memoQ then ignores all the rest. The options in Add document as... differ depending on the type of Excel file.

Magali GUENETTE
Magali GUENETTE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
depends Apr 11, 2012

THanks. I indeed selected a range to exclude columns but had not thought to do it for separate cells

Magali

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:24
Finnish to French
Wordfast Pro as workaround Apr 14, 2012

Magali GUENETTE wrote:
so apparently it is in Add document as...

You can do both things in Wordfast Pro, using its advanced wizard:
1) tell it to put translations of column A into column B, without touching column A
2) tell it to ignore cells that already have a translation in column B

I explain this in the following video:
http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/03/14/how-to-translate-excel-columns-in-wordfast-pro/

And since version 5.0.53, memoQ supports the TXML format, so once you have done the above in Wordfast Pro, you can open the TXML in memoQ. Once your document is translated in memoQ, you can export it to TXML, open it in Wordfast Pro and save the translated Excel file there.

Magali GUENETTE
Magali GUENETTE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique Apr 15, 2012

Yes translating Excel in Wordfast Pro almost has no secret for me now and I loved your video which I had looked at when first posted on WFast Yahoo Groups for French speakers. The choice of columns and cells is great.

BUT

I'm really trying to get used to Memo Q now, and avoid to use 2 or 3 CAT tools at the same time since my translations and TM often have to be corrected once the clients give their final approvals of the texts in Word file first and then in PDF file, I
... See more
Yes translating Excel in Wordfast Pro almost has no secret for me now and I loved your video which I had looked at when first posted on WFast Yahoo Groups for French speakers. The choice of columns and cells is great.

BUT

I'm really trying to get used to Memo Q now, and avoid to use 2 or 3 CAT tools at the same time since my translations and TM often have to be corrected once the clients give their final approvals of the texts in Word file first and then in PDF file, I really need to reduce the amount of files and TM to be handled. Plus I share the TM with some colleagues, and we have decided that MemoQ would cover most of our needs.

I'm now in the process of converting most of my WF TMs and glossaries for MEMOQ...
and it is been going fine so long.

I managed to select the propre range of cells in MemoQ, after copying my source text in target cells, so evthing is OK now.

Magali
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translatiang EXCEL docs with different colums in MEMOQ

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »