How to keep track of the segments I worked on in a document with many reps?
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
May 11, 2012

I am updating a translation of an O&M manual I translated last year - it has 30k words, but only 9k are new words.
The manual was originally in Frame Maker, and the agency created an online project on their server, with about 12 files (one for each chapter).
Most of the files have only 20-30 segments to be translated (fuzzy matches or no matches), so they're pretty quick to go through.

However, once I translate and confirm them, they all look the same (the right column s
... See more
I am updating a translation of an O&M manual I translated last year - it has 30k words, but only 9k are new words.
The manual was originally in Frame Maker, and the agency created an online project on their server, with about 12 files (one for each chapter).
Most of the files have only 20-30 segments to be translated (fuzzy matches or no matches), so they're pretty quick to go through.

However, once I translate and confirm them, they all look the same (the right column shows 100% and confirmed as for the other segments that were already 100% & confirmed from the TM).
I'd like to keep track of the segments I actually edited during this project, so that I can focus on them during the proofreading phase.

Is this possible?
Collapse

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
lock segments? May 11, 2012

Hi,

I guess one way could be to filter the confirmed segments before starting the translation and lock them.
I have never worked on a server project in MemoQ though, so I'm not sure if it's possible to lock segments.

Kind regards,
Johan

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lock them May 11, 2012

We have this same situation in some projects: lots of text, but only a little part translatable.

I would pretranslate the files with locking (use the second tab of the Pre-translate dialog for that), and then translate the rest regularly.

Make sure you unlock everything before delivery, in case it has any influence in the customer's files.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even with on online project? May 11, 2012

As I am working on an online project setup by the agency, I think I am not allowed to lock segments, even if only temporarily.

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
create a view? May 11, 2012

Hi again,

then I suppose that you can't set those segments to Proofread status either?

Can you create a view of all unconfirmed segments?

You could then translate in the regular documents to see the segments in context, and finally run QA check, spell check etc on the view.

If you can't even create a view, the only (awkward) way I could think of is to insert a special character (e.g. a §-sign, if it isn't used in the text), at the beginning or
... See more
Hi again,

then I suppose that you can't set those segments to Proofread status either?

Can you create a view of all unconfirmed segments?

You could then translate in the regular documents to see the segments in context, and finally run QA check, spell check etc on the view.

If you can't even create a view, the only (awkward) way I could think of is to insert a special character (e.g. a §-sign, if it isn't used in the text), at the beginning or end of the new segments (which could be removed with a "replace all" operation before delivery). In this way you could easily filter out those segments in the translation grid for a final check.

The smoothest workflow IMHO would be to convince the client of the benefits of locking those segments.

Good luck!

/Johan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to keep track of the segments I worked on in a document with many reps?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »