Importing multi-column RTF tables (in MemoQ 5)
Thread poster: Alami
Alami
Alami
Germany
Local time: 17:44
German to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 18, 2013

Hello,

I got a multi-column RTF table from a customer with the following column fields:
ID, Source language, Target language, Comment, Status
Is there a way to import such tables to update the source document?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ahmad Abdul-hafeeZ
Ahmad Abdul-hafeeZ  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 18:44
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Importing multi-column RTF tables (in MemoQ 5) Jun 19, 2013

Go to Translation window click Import which will open you Open Window then select file and press open. After start start work on the required file.

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
You've got a bilingual RTF file, probably from memoQ Jun 19, 2013

Alami wrote:

I got a multi-column RTF table from a customer with the following column fields:
ID, Source language, Target language, Comment, Status

Is there a way to import such tables to update the source document?

Well, first of all, by the sound of it, your customer has sent you a bilingual file for proof-reading purposes made using memoQ, but intended for users working with another program such as Word. (I'm not sure if you realise that, judging by your description.) The five fields/columns are all output by memoQ, and the resulting RTF file will simply show you all the segments that memoQ has created.

If you didn't create the file yourself by exporting a translation from memoQ, I'm not sure whether you can do much with it in this application - you would normally export your translation to RTF from memoQ, proof-read and edit it (or get someone else to do that) in Word (for example) and then import it back into memoQ, which would then compare it with your existing translation-memory segments and show you what's been changed. If you accept all the changes, your TM will get updated automatically. If you don't have the segments in your TM in the first place, though, then you obviously can't update them this way.

But try it out - page 130 of the user manual for memoQ 5.0 says this:
"If you get an RTF file that contains a table from another memoQ copy, always use Import/update bilingual to add it."

(You can download the manual from Kilgray's website, by the way.)

Can you edit the source text? Well, Kilgray says it's possible, but doesn't recommend it:
"When editing the document, it is recommended that changes be made to the Target text column only.
If there are two Target text columns, make changes to the cells in the second column.

Although it is not recommended, you can modify the text in the Source text column if absolutely necessary. In this case, when you update the memoQ project from the RTF document, make sure to turn off source text checking."

(p. 133 of the manual)

Regards

Carl

Alami
Alami
Germany
German to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 19, 2013

Thank you both for your help!
@Carl: Actually, the file was not generated for proof-reading purposes. It just happened that I could not connect to my customer's TM server yesterday due to some technical problems, so I was looking for a temporary workaround to extract the segments from the table. It's all running fine now.

[Modifié le 2013-06-19 20:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing multi-column RTF tables (in MemoQ 5)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »